FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

YOUR views on climate change

sandra
The world keeps growing not just in size but also weather conditions are very drastic, from Hurricane Katrina to the asia flloods to very cold xmas in europe.
Post your views on the way forward what can we as humans do to stop or reduce the ozone depletion.
Da Rossa
The ozone depletion is the least of the worries right now. The depletion rate has reduced a lot since many countries (unfortunately not all) removed the CFC's from the products of some sprays, refrigerators and stuff. The issue right now is the global warming, not directly associated with the ozone depletion, but to the level of pollution thrown up on the atmosphere. Some say that it's now irreversible. Some say there is a solution, but difficult to be carried away. What do you think?
Soulfire
It's all a political tool.

Just used to stress a division between political parties.

The earth is going through a natural cycle, and we're pretty much just along for the ride. Back in the 1970s everyone was wondering why it was so cold. I think people are really, really overreacting to this. What's 1 degree every hundred years? Soon we'll reenter an ice age and global cooling will be the most debated topic. People will be wanting to put MORE CO2 in the atmosphere to keep things warm.
Da Rossa
Soulfire wrote:

The earth is going through a natural cycle, and we're pretty much just along for the ride. Back in the 1970s everyone was wondering why it was so cold. I think people are really, really overreacting to this. What's 1 degree every hundred years? Soon we'll reenter an ice age and global cooling will be the most debated topic. People will be wanting to put MORE CO2 in the atmosphere to keep things warm.

Man, I really respect you for posts in other topics, in but this one you said "teh big sheet". One degree in the average Earth temperature means more 0.4ºC in some regions, whilst 3ºC in other places. These could be the places in which the ice has just reached the enough heat amount to defrost in a bounded region, meaning that the bigger region rises the avg temp, creating a cascade effect. The same for the high mountains. An increase of .5ºC in the boundaries of the top means that a piece of the frozen surface melts doen, so the mountain absorbs the sunlight instead of refleting it back to the space, increasing even more the overall temp in the mountain envioronment.

If this wasn't so important, important people wouldn't care about it, for important people have more busine$$ to do.
Jinx
Better minds than mine have debated the truth of global warming, and my opinion means very little in the grand scheme of things, so I'll leave it out.
What seems to be true, though, is that we are quickly approaching an energy crisis, and many of the things we can do to conserve energy will also help alleviate global warming.
for example: Walk, ride a bike, or take public transporation whenever possible and leave the gas guzzleing SUV in the garage. Turn off lights and tvs, and replace incandesent bulbs with compact flourecent bulbs (or LEDs if possible). All of these will also save money in the long run, so why wouldn't a person do them?
If everyone would do these things, we would be pumping out fewer hydorcarbons into the atmosphere, and we would reduce our dependance on oil at the same time.
If you can afford more drastic measures, add solar panels to your roof or a windmill generator, build your new home underground or at least partially earth sheltered to reduce heating and cooling costs, use urban roofs and balconies as gardens (grow vegetables and cut your grocery bill, and add insulation and cooling vegitation at the same time). Buy a hybrid car.
There are hundreds of things we could be doing, but most of us aren't.
LumberJack
Obviously people are stuck on the fact that the warming is a natural cycle and there is nothing to worry about. Or, they believe that we have caused the cycle to go out of control and the planet is warming too fast due to human intervention. Regardless on which side you are on, in a decade we shall see who is right and who is wrong.

I personally believe global warming is a serious problem, and regardless of the partisan beliefs behind it. All you require is common sense, and you will find that CO2 emissions either are, or will be, overheating the planet to the point where the temperature changes will be too extreme.

Par Example of "localized" warming effects:

- Inside a city it is always warmer than out in the country side. Why, all the emissions, A/C, and crap we put into the air warm it up

Extrapolate this to a larger area, ie. the Planet, and we have a problem.

Either way, if we deal with this now, then there won't be a problem in the future.

There is really no excuse not to support green technologies and reduced CO2 emissions. It is not even that difficult to do.
defnet
OK, I dont think BUT I know that the earth's climate is changing. So this is no longer a matter of JUST an opinion. Places that normally don't get flooded get flooded, cold places get warmer and a whole bunch of other weird things happen. Now, Im not an environmentalist but I do care about my environment. I think that we all should keep it clean BECAUSE WE LIVE IN IT. Our environment is our home, so keep it clean (You'll like it better that way). So eventough I love SUV's, I would consider buying a hybrid. Every bit help because as the dutch say -- it is one drop that makes the bucket overflow.

So next time when your about to throw that candy wrapping on the street or buy a gasoline-glutten car think about your kids and the uncertain future that lies ahead. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN, but it wouldn't hurt to be clean and thus avoid anything BIG and DISASTROUS to happen. And yeah -- before you leave your room to goto a party, switch of the lights! Wink
catscratches
We're all going to die if we don't do anything soon! horray!
inphurno
Soulfire wrote:

its sad to see opinions like, because the people that think like this just look for excuses to not have to change the way that they live. even if it means causing the genocide of many people, plants and animals around the world.

Climate change is not a debatable issue , unless you are a scientist, which i am assuming you are not Soulfire. The scientific research proving the reality of climate change is overwhelming and the consensus of scientists worldwide that climate change is really happening is without question. except if you ask media outlets controlled by rupert murdock as an example. there is only "confusion" in the media about climate change, none amongst scientists.

what is really driving climate change? the use of fossil fuels is the main way we are creating emissions for 3 of the 4 types of greenhouse gases (carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide). Whether the emission was caused at the point of extraction from the ground, during refinement, distribution or when it is finally burnt doesn't matter, when you use either fossil fuels or fossil fuel energy you create emissions for 3 greenhouse gases at once.

you might then ask So how do we use fossil fuels?

When we transport either goods or people, whether it's by car, boat, plane or train, 99% of the time the fuels used to drive these machines are fossil fuel based (i.e. petroleum based).
The electricity that we use at home and at work is mostly generated by the burning of fossil fuels. This is the case for most of the industrialized nations of the world.
The industrial manufacturing of things like paper, food, petroleum, chemicals, and thousands of other products uses fossil fuels in 2 ways:

1) By directly using fossil fuels to create heat and steam needed at the various stages of production.

2) Since they use more electricity than any other sector, they create emissions through the use of electricity (generated from fossil fuels).

go to my website if you want to learn more
http://www.whatsyourimpact.co.nr/