FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

favicon

willwright111
i have jus beeen playing with my site and i can highly recommend http://www.favicon.co.uk/ for making favicons using the simple code something along the lines of <head>
<link rel="icon" href="http://www.favicon.co.uk/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.favicon.co.uk/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
jus design a small logo then convert it to a favicon easy and affect
brokenadvice
You can even make a favicon yourself with the GIMP (or similar program). Design it as a 16x16 image, and then save it as favicon.ico. upload it to your main directory and add the <link> tag to all your pages as described above.
Azmo
ye, I use online transformation for my fav icon.. since I don't have GIMP or any other program that can convert images to .ico .. however... 32x32px works fine too for convertion...
freelanceCMS
Thank you for that post mate, awesome!!! I now have favicon on my site.
poly
You can use Irfan View as well... www.irfanview.com

It's for free..
panic15
Hmm i would recommend making your own its more original. Although the site isnt bad and it gives the code for all the newbs Razz

Good find though mate, im sure alot will use it Smile
willwright111
thts the goood thing about tht site tho you can upload ur own jpeg imagge and convert it to a .ico file or create ur own on there site
and i tihnk you can have favicons up to 64x64
secondeye
Wow... thats a very good thing that i came to know, it really help me alot for my pishing sites Lolz Kidding,

Well Can any body tell me IS favicon is important For search engines?
dbhai
Me too wonder what is the purpose of favicon. will anyone please explain
joethebreakdown@yahoo.com
Thanks for the link, I've seen the website... The domain is killing me though, .co.nr? Free extension for such a good website? It's sad... Sorry for rambling.
nivinjoy
But after all this let me ask you one thing..What is favicon....? What is the need of this...?

Is it necessary to have it for a website....I see that frihost too have a favicon and many other sites too...So please explain me what is the need of favicon, purpose of favicon....?
Waiting for a reply so that if its neede i can also do it for my website too...
Fuzzy-Duck
secondeye wrote:
Well Can any body tell me IS favicon is important For search engines?

dbhai wrote:
Me too wonder what is the purpose of favicon. will anyone please explain

Afaik there is absolutely no point to having a favicon on your site as such... unless of course you count the visual impact, branding or other advertising or graphic-y terms for having your site look good so that people remember it, tell their friends and come back for more hehe.

What I mean is, favicon is purely visual, and serves no other purpose. Search engines will either display it, or not as they see fit, but their rankings it will not effect. It has no bearing on accessiblity either. But that doesn't mean it's not an important tool in unifying the look and feel of a site, and serves as an instant graphical 'hook' to a user's eye if they're saved your site as a favourite and want to go back to it.

...but all that doesn't mean it's still not just a little bit frivolous Wink

Oh and thanks for the link, it's very helpful and I don't think I'll use any other method of converting my icons now!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
fuzzy
asim
Hi Budy,

thanks a lot for the site... i have my website with a Favicon.