FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a way to synchronize Thunderbird?(60 Frihs 4 you)

DecayClan
Hello, i need some help/info

I have Outlook express at my job, and mozilla Thunderbird at home, is there a way to synchronize them? Through a usb stick or something? Or at least synchronize outlook express of my work, with my laptop?

(usb would be the best, but if it is not possible, then i would like to know about synchronizing them between 2 computers...)

Thanks a lot, and to make it more worthwhile, the one that finds a way to do that, with a usb stick, and i like that way the most, i will give him 60Frihs...

Plz, i don't want something like this: though:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Synchronizing_mail_on_two_computers_(Thunderbird)

http://synchingthunder.sourceforge.net/
Animal
Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird use different filetypes to store the emails, so it's not possible to directly synchronise them. If you wanted to do this, it would be best to use the same program in both locations, then simply copy and replace the mail file from the profile of whichever client you use.

You could theoretically instruct both clients to "Leave Messages On The Server" so that each one would download the same emails (although you would need to read each one twice so that they are marked as read on both machines). However, this would be likely to fill up your mail server and you would need to periodically clear it out from a webmail service for example. You should also note that if it is a Gmail / Google Hosted account, you will not be able to download all emails by POP twice.
infinisa
My advice to you is to use a Gmail email account, which gives you 2GB of storage. Don't use an email client - just leave your emails in your Gmail account (which allows excellent email organization through "Labels"). This way, all your emails are available online anywhere.

You can sign up for a Gmail account at www.gmail.com (click on "Sign up for Gmail").

Make sure you "Take the Gmail Tour" to learn how to make the most of Gmail (http://www.google.com/mail/help/tour/start.html).

I recently made this transition myself, after using Netscape for about ten years!

Companies with their own domain can now implement a 2GB Gmail mail box for free for each employee.
Go to www.google.com/a, press "Get Started", and Sign Up for free "Standard Edition".
mOrpheuS
I had a similar situation (partly my fault), and from what I've learnt, you can do this ... manually.

Here's an account of how I had achieved something similar sometime back - http://www.cybermilitia.net/sync-outlook-express-thunderbird.html

Hope that's more like what you're looking for and we're not talking about apples and oranges here.
DecayClan
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:20 pm Post subject:
Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird use different filetypes to store the emails, so it's not possible to directly synchronise them. If you wanted to do this, it would be best to use the same program in both locations, then simply copy and replace the mail file from the profile of whichever client you use.

I want to find a way to use it with thunderbird.
I know that i can't directly synchronize them, but i hope that since more people probably have the same problem, someone might have created a tool or something to do it.

Quote:
You could theoretically instruct both clients to "Leave Messages On The Server" so that each one would download the same emails (although you would need to read each one twice so that they are marked as read on both machines). However, this would be likely to fill up your mail server and you would need to periodically clear it out from a webmail service for example. You should also note that if it is a Gmail / Google Hosted account, you will not be able to download all emails by POP twice.

I can't, because i can't change any settings like that

infinisa wrote:
My advice to you is to use a Gmail email account, which gives you 2GB of storage. Don't use an email client - just leave your emails in your Gmail account (which allows excellent email organization through "Labels"). This way, all your emails are available online anywhere.

You can sign up for a Gmail account at www.gmail.com (click on "Sign up for Gmail").

Make sure you "Take the Gmail Tour" to learn how to make the most of Gmail (http://www.google.com/mail/help/tour/start.html).

I recently made this transition myself, after using Netscape for about ten years!

Companies with their own domain can now implement a 2GB Gmail mail box for free for each employee.
Go to www.google.com/a, press "Get Started", and Sign Up for free "Standard Edition".

My company has their own mail server, and thats what i have to use. ` i don't make the rules Sad .

[quote=m0rpheous]I had a similar situation (partly my fault), and from what I've learnt, you can do this ... manually.

Here's an account of how I had achieved something similar sometime back - http://www.cybermilitia.net/sync-outlook-express-thunderbird.html

Hope that's more like what you're looking for and we're not talking about apples and oranges here. [/quote]
[/quote]

I will have a look at it when i will have time, i hope that it will help me, thanks.
David_Pardy
I think (because I have no way of testing it) that you can export your Outlook Express information to a PST file, which you should be able to import into Thunderbird, but you wouldn't be able to sync the two.