FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD/CD Driver problems

albena
Someone Else wrote:
I have a relatively new (6 weeks) HP Pavilion a 1710n. Although I would have preferred to stay with XP a while longer, it came preloaded with Windows Vista, so I'm adapting. The computer has a "Lightscribe DVD SuperMulti Drive / CD-Writer". It worked fine until late last week. Now it will not run either music or data discs. Since there is no floppy disk drive installed on the computer, I really need this drive.

The only new variable introduced last week was the installation of software and drivers that came with a new Panasonic Lumix Digital Camera. The software included "ArcSoft Software Suite", "Lumix Simple Viewer 1.1E", and "PHOTOfunSTUDIO-viewer-1.1E". A USB Driver might also have been installed, but I am not sure, and I don't know how to check or differentiate between a new driver, and the ones that came preinstalled on the machine.

Now, as I said, the DVD/CD drive will not run anything. When a disc is inserted, it will spin up, the green light on the front will flash 2 or 3 times, then nothing.

I checked in the Device Manager, and under DVD/CD ROM Drives, the only item is "TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652M ATA Device" preceeded by the appropriate icon. There is what appears to be a yellow triangle with a black exclamation point in it superimposed over the icon.

I first tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the computer to get the driver to reinstall (On a different subject, is there a "Search for New Hardware button anywhere in Windows Vista?). Shortly after the start-up, I got a message that the computer was unable to install the driver. Thinking that it might be the camera software, I uninstalled the new software, then uninstalled the DVD/CD driver again. After restarting the computer again, I got the same message as before. I have checked, and there is no updated driver for the DVD/CD drive.

Any information or guidance would greatly appreciated.

Rob
Animal
Your Copy and Paste skills are truly amazing. Rolling Eyes

-close-