FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

On the intelligence of dogs...

quex
An interesting article from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/03/AR2007060300960.html

Animal psychology (and coming up with ways of testing it) has always been a challenging field... I like the way they ran this experiment. I should like to see it tried with other species.
ocalhoun
I think many animals are far more intelligent than we think. The problem is, how do we test it? Their intelligence is far different from ours, and we take problems in communication and their failure in tests designed from a human standpoint as evidence that they are stupid.

Many people seem to have an odd notion in their subconscious that they are the picture of perfection. They would never say so, but they demonstrate it in the fact that the more different any given person, animal, or thing is from them, the worse they think of it.

I'm saying that we think animals are dumb for the same reasons that we practice racism.

Without realizing it, we have an attitude of 'you are different, therefore you are inferior'.
bonestorm74
Often it depends on the animal. I have seen a lot of dogs that are really obviously dumb as a post, and others that are very clever.

We have two cats that are brothers and one is quite a bit smarter than the other, based on my observations of their behaviour.

I guess the same can be said of humans though too.
neljx
What do we as humans consider intelligent? Different dogs and even dogs within one breed, show different characteristics.

Every dog is "intelligent" in a different way. Some are great at herding other animals, others are very intelligent at sniffing out things or following a trail, others may be great at doing tricks...

You'll find that even the biggest numbskull has something they're really good at! Even if it is just cleaning out a food bowl really thoroughly!
paul_indo
I think that in most western countries the dogs are smarter than the people.
Who goes to work and has to pay for the housing and the food? Not the dogs that's for sure.
The dogs have trained the people just how they want them and now they just sit back and enjoy it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The dogs in Asia are obviously not so smart though. They even get eaten sometimes.
quex
paul_indo wrote:
I think that in most western countries the dogs are smarter than the people.
Who goes to work and has to pay for the housing and the food? Not the dogs that's for sure.

I love this argument. ^_^ If it weren't for all the cases of abused animals, I would say it's dead-on.

Quote:
The dogs in Asia are obviously not so smart though. They even get eaten sometimes.

Just for the hell of it, because I love the breed... Lhasa Apsos in Tibet were, and in some communities still are, considered vessels for the reincarnation of their owners. The selected dogs in the compound of the Dalai Lama had to be greeted individually when passed by a servant, which, when you might pass 20 dogs on your way to the bathroom, is a considerable commitment of time.

And we all know cat tastes better, anyway. XD
paul_indo
quex wrote:

I love this argument. ^_^ If it weren't for all the cases of abused animals, I would say it's dead-on.

Well I guess I was simplifying the argument but compared with here in Indonesia life is great in the west for a dog.

My dogs have got it made though. Laughing Laughing Laughing