FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My first page, help please

The World is Yours
Hey guys/gals, I just got approved for my site. So I have slapped temporary page up until I make a good template (which I could also use a hand with). The problem is that, my grammar and punctuation isn't so good, and I was wondering if any one could look it over real quick and let me know where changes should be made.

I really appreciate it, here is the page http://www.theworldisyours.frih.net/

Also, some advice on general design is quite welcome (this was the first page i've ever written!!!)

Thanks everybody, in advance! Embarassed
dayveday
Hey, looks like you've made a good start.

My biggest suggestion is definitely to change the background / colours. It so busy, and it's really hard to read the white writing when it's over the white parts of the background.

I also notice that you're using <font> and <table> tags to help you do your layout... really, all of this kind of work should be inside your style sheet, and the html page should only have the actually contents of the page. (So, only use tables when you want to show tabulated data).
You can check out what w3c says about your site too at
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theworldisyours.frih.net%2F

Good luck!
Cheers.
The World is Yours
Hahahahaha! It's definitely not up to W3C standards!! Also, I don't really know how to use style sheets, but am learning! I don't know another way to set my layout than with tables, that's why i need help with making a template (mainly learning how) with hand coding only, no dreamweaver or front page or anything like that. If I can't use the gimp and a text editor, then it's not the right way for me!!! Cool

On that note, any suggestions? Rolling Eyes

EDIT: The page is now completely compliant with the W3C HTML 4.01 standards Cool
{name here}
The background doesn't work because it is tiled - you can't read the text in front of it. It's almost like a myspace profile. What you can do is solidify the background-color of the content div/cell so it's readable. Also try to use more uniform fonts in the menu.
The World is Yours
I'm sorry I don't think I understand Confused What do you mean the background is tiled? Also, what is a content div/cell? uniform fonts in the menu?? I am not sure what that is either? So I guess I didn't understand pretty much the whole post! Wink Please clarify a bit.

I appreciate the help, and advice but.......How is the punctuation and grammar?!?!?!?!
{name here}
Here. I'll compress everything down for you:
http://catb.org/~esr/html-hell.html
http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/

Note:To advance and learn what some of these things are, you will need to know HTML and CSS.
The World is Yours
I already know some (seeing as how i wrote that page) and am learning more every day!
dayveday
Yeah, I don't use any fancy editors either - all done as text in Komodo. Tables are very tempting to use at the start, because it's really easy to see where everything will go. CSS is harder initially but will result in a better sight that is easier to maintain, and usually loads more quickly. Also, with CSS you can redesign your site's layout without redoing any content at all!

A great place to learn CSS is HTML Dog, and I also really really like A List Apart which has some really nifty things to do in CSS.

Any questions? Just ask! Very Happy
Dragate
Pretty good start.

As stated, very busy layout. Change up your banner's font and all your fonts. Not suiting for this site.
The fonts in the back are a bit big, change that up a bit.

Colours aren't working for me.

See how your banner has this 3d effect kinda with the split gradient and a border?

do taht somewhere else too, or use that as a tittle background or somethign, make it appear in more places to make it seem consistent and no just there randomly.

The grammar is fine. If there is no mistake, then no one will catch them unless they like to look really really closely and have a really goog knowledge on english grammar.

Don't worry about that.

So, make your layout a bit better?

Also tip: the way you did it, with the centering (horizontal) with your small layout that is supposed to fit most resolutions, is kind of bugging me. Use some percentages or something. Play with it.

Do you have an image editor by chance?
imagefree
The World is Yours wrote:
Hahahahaha! It's definitely not up to W3C standards!! Also, I don't really know how to use style sheets, but am learning! I don't know another way to set my layout than with tables, that's why i need help with making a template (mainly learning how) with hand coding only, no dreamweaver or front page or anything like that. If I can't use the gimp and a text editor, then it's not the right way for me!!! Cool

On that note, any suggestions? Rolling Eyes

EDIT: The page is now completely compliant with the W3C HTML 4.01 standards Cool

Very good start. Nice look.

By the way you have used divs to layout and there is no table in your code at all.

Can i please have your PNG fix code? I cant write so i request.
Smile Smile
outofnicks
You seem to be quite a fast learner. In one month you went from a rank beginner to having a standards compliant site that looks pretty good. I'm not crazy about white text on blue but just my opinion. Why is blue the most popular web color, it seems?
gerpg
When using color schemes try to keep in mind that 1 in 10 men are colour blind so if background colors and text are similar you will get people getting headaches viewing your site and click away, white background and black text are the best combination for a 'clean' page because they are oposite colours.

Louis.
wise
Good start. The design is simple and good. You improve upon. Css will help you out.
coeus
Here is a color contrast tool: http://www.snook.ca/technical/colour_contrast/colour.html
It's a pretty sweet tool, especially if you are aiming to be section 508 compliant.
rafifaisal
Defenitly change the background colour mate.
Try to give it a colour so that it contrasts your main body colour.
This will bring the whole to be less eye aching thing Smile Because at the moment my eyes are going loo blue Confused

Also try to sharpen your banner picture. Probably due to the resizing (enlarging it by the look of it) the sharp edges are gone and the picture is blury.

Maybe redo your banner in the right size.
Donutey
remake your header image using a higher quality image of tux, then after you've remade it save it in a lossless format (png) then resave as a (jpg) and try to get the size under 15k with compression. Keep at it.
littlegiant
The punctuation and grammar seem fine (I just checked the home page, mind you). The only thing I would change is "Plus much, much, more!" to "Plus much, much more!" (no second comma). Also, not really an error but I would definitely not use as many exclamation marks.

Kind of off topic but how did you get that Google Search box to validate? Did you alter the code? Last time I checked, the default Google search box code did not validate.
The World is Yours
Actually, it just validated! I had a different statcounter that wouldn't validate either then I used analytics and it validated!! So, no I didn't alter the code at all.

Thank you for checking the grammar for me. I appreciate that.... That's what I originally asked for and you are the first one to reply!!
asim
Hi Buddy,

Good website, you have learned a lot.... and i think now its time you work on the layout thing.... think like a user..... a designer needs to be user and design website.... website designed by you conveys your taste..... work on colour combinations as ealier said 1 of 10 people are colour blind and they mix up getting headache..... use light colour's and also never experiment with fonts.... always use fonts which are easily available, if you understand to what i say, you can make a better website.

No hard feelings dude..... this is just a comment and rest is upto you..... well cheers.