FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Extreme Resolution Photo - 13 Gigapixels

Hobbit
I thought I'd share what I just posted on my digital photography blog.

You see that picture? You'll be surprised to see how much you can zoom in. http://www.docbert.org/ChicagoByNight/

Here's another of Harlem. http://www.harlem-13-gigapixels.com/
Josso
Holy crap! You can see individual paintings in those buildings.
missdixy
That's way cool!
zichlone
holy crap!!!! you can see peoples faces and everything that is amazing!!!!!
Loghete
I've seen bigger.
ncwdavid
Haha thats amazing! Never seen anything like it. Very cool. I was even able to look in peoples windows.
Aless
Coming soon...to Google Earth.

Can you imagine how long that would take to download??? Gah!!
ocalhoun
It would be interesting to see the camera that took that picture.
krazy
now... that is what i see as cool
tee hee
i actually like that and yep, it would take a long time to download google earth like that.
but it would be fun to zoom in and stuff on it.
spazbutt32
Wow. All I can say is.. that's a LOT of pixels.

What a panoramic view! I wonder how big the actual thing is.
PatTheGreat42
That'd certainley be a bandwidth killer if anybody downloaded the whole thing.

But seriousely, awesome cooltacular picture. I'd feel really weird if I found myself, though... kinda like people spotting themselves on Google Neighborhood or whatever it's called.
rafifaisal
Nice picture.
But aren't there cameras in circulation with a higher resolution ?

Anyway the picture is magnificent
Agent ME
They even make cameras with that type of resolution? Amazing.
vaughands
How can that picture be taken... Now all we need is secruity camrea loaded with terra and terrabytes of hardisk space. Recording in that power . . . You would just zoom into the suspects car . . .
Zaini711
7GB in size! WSow.. but the result is a beauty. Not for normal user like us thus. Just imagine taking hundreds of this photos. Terrabyte of space needed. But, there will be time when the technology will make this kind of resolution became a household item.
Zaini711
194 individual photos ! Taken in almost 1 hour. But the end result make it as it was taken in 1 single shot. Should check out the software used - Autopano Pro. Must be a good piece of software to stitch together a bunch of photos
scotty
That's amazing! Think of the effort and the time needed to take that photo! Probably took about 30 minutes (approx. 10 seconds per photo) and I find it amazing how the sky colour hasn't changed or something has moved!
ninjakannon
Loghete wrote:
I've seen bigger.

Got any links?

That photograph is awesome! I was having a look around in full zoom and you can see people in the windows of some of the buildings and all the objects in the rooms are visible, although somewhat blurry.

Do you need some kind of special camera to take photos with this resolution?
greenwoodmonkey
Just awesome...
Really, this if this is the shape of things to come I can't wait...
I thought my 7.2 Megapix camera gave pretty cool results...
Thing is, I will always be dissappointed when I look at my photos now thinking that I can't do anything this cool...

OK, anyone got a spare million so I can buy one of these camera's? I'm getting married soon and these would be great for some extreme close ups of the bridesmaids
DoctorBeaver
Impressive!
ninjakannon
greenwoodmonkey wrote:
I'm getting married soon and these would be great for some extreme close ups of the bridesmaids

Haha! Extreme close ups? You would practically be able to see the individual hairs on their skin... Razz This kind of camera is unnecessary for such pictures and aimed more at landscapes / cityscapes such as the picture here. But wow, imagine if you did take pictures with it at your wedding... the quality would be simply stunning!

I hope you have a great wedding!
Tatsumaru
Haha awesome, it's freaking crazy! Cool stuff.
mOrpheuS
Image weaving, though clever, has its own disadvantages.

Here's a screenshot from the Harlem-13-Gigapixel image :

(You can see from the inset, which part of the image I'd zoomed into.)

Notice how the car and the pedestrian, both seem to fade into the background.
Most likely since they were present in one of the frames and were gone when the adjoining one was shot.
catscratches
haha, very cool effect it makes XD
Srs2388
wow I thought like 20MP would be the biggest I guess I was wrong Shocked
Josso
mOrpheuS wrote:
Image weaving, though clever, has its own disadvantages.

Here's a screenshot from the Harlem-13-Gigapixel image :

(You can see from the inset, which part of the image I'd zoomed into.)

Notice how the car and the pedestrian, both seem to fade into the background.
Most likely since they were present in one of the frames and were gone when the adjoining one was shot.

That site makes me dizzy Laughing
XKaktusX
I was shocked when i saw these and this picture is so beautiful Shocked Wink
pieman
Awesome! Like many other people I didn't know they made cameras even close to that sort of resolution. Who knows, with bigger and bigger hard drives, and digital cameras rapidly coming down in price, in 10 years this resoultion might be a 'downmarket' one :p
James007
Idea Moved to "Personal Pictures Gallery". Idea
ninjakannon
James007 wrote:
Idea Moved to "Personal Pictures Gallery". Idea

Hmmm... It's not exactly very personal, is it? So why this forum, or is it just that it seems to fit here more than General Chat? Razz
I suppose it will get fewer spamy replies here than in the General Chat forum, so I'm not complaining. Cool
blackheart
I like.

The detail is amazing... just look at the people in the pool (or what-ever the facility is), and you can zoom right up to each individual window (well, not right up, but enough to get the gist of things).

The photo of Harlem is just as good... even if the subject matter isn't as good (i.e. there aren't a lot of people to gawk at Wink).
legion
Quote:
http://www.docbert.org/MP/

this Machu Picchu shot is amazing as well ... I think it looks better than our modern cities Cool
Dragonfly
I really like your Blog. Nice theme and good posts. Wordpress has become so useful.
bulek
Awesome panorama picture. I want to know which camera and which software did they use for taking pictures, because they are almost without noise. Most digital cameras take very noisy pictures at night (with high ISO sensitivity).
Mannix
Bummer. ...Can't download it. ...Of course, then I'd have to deal with driving that monster too!
Ghost900
WOW you can zoom in alot.

A 13 Gigapizal That is alot.

They are both very nice pictures and how many megabytes are they?

They must be huge?

Great Job on the pictures.
tefa_taftaf2010
it is so pure ...

believe me ,,, i felt a comfortable feeling when i looked to it and to every building

and the water,, specially to the lights ..

it's so fantastic Surprised
mjohnson
what is that,look like a very beautiful place.
MonikaJayne
Very neat!
guissmo
What's the size (MB) of this pic?