FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Economics from scratch for a newbie?

sush
Hi all,

I'm an Engineering student from India. I've mostly studied technical subjects in school and college and never got a chance to learn about economics and market issues there.

I really want to know what economics, money, market, inflation, investing, entrepreneurship and the like are all about. I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend good books or websites to start with.

Best wishes,
Sushant
pampoon
Wow, you've got a lot to learn. In the US, we are taught Economics throughout the entire school career.

But anyways, here are some links:
http://www.zeromillion.com/econ/history-of-the-market-system.html
http://www.zeromillion.com/econ/how-the-market-system-works.html

I suggest reading them in that order too. Otherwise you might get confused. The first one is the History and the second explains how the market works.

God bless,
Pampoon
bogger
Economics for Dummies surely exists?

Economics is the science of business, as they say. I don't know what book would be best to give a plain understanding of it, but the zeromillion links there are very comprehensive Smile

If they don't satisfy you, and you have specific questions to ask, I'm more than happy to help Smile
deStructuralized
One book that I'd definitely recommend is Charles Wheelan's Naked Economics. He really does an outstanding job of explaining critical economic concepts with memorable examples and accessible language. He even throws a few jokes in here and there.

It provides a good survey of various economic concepts; not enough to replace a textbook, but definitely enough to be a valuable supplement to any textbook. Chuck was a correspondent for the Economist for several years, so his writing style is polished--definitely more enjoyable to read than anything from the "For Dummies" series. It's technically accurate, but not so serious you'll fall asleep.
mehulved
Some FYJC or SYJC text books should be able to explain you these terms quite well, if your knowledge of economics is really low.
Wenlow
I would recommend Meghnad Desa's 'Marx's Revenge'. Don't be frightened by the title - Desai carefuly explains the common misconceptions about Marx before providing an excellent history of economics over the last 150 years or so.

As economics is a moving target, with each generation needing to develop a new theory as the economy evolves, this work's incorporation of the latest globalisation frenzy makes it very up to date.
sush
Wow that's a lot of responses, thanks a lot folks. Cool

Cheers,
Sushant