FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bodybuilding

darkmetal123
Have you ever wondered how bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman have muscles like that? I have always wanted to build up muscles and look lean and muscular. But I don't know the methods which professional bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman apply.
I have heard from people that such bodybuilders are genetically different from an average person and they have a higher muscle growth potential.
Others say that professional bodybuilders use steriods and drugs.
I have also heard that these bodybuilders have nothing else to do but to train all day in the gym.
What is the truth?
pampoon
Well, professional body builders do work out all day long. It is their job. Just like a CEO of a company works in the office all day long. That is how they get to be so cut.

Plus, they usually have expert trainers who know exactly how to train them so that they will grow all of their muscles.

I don't think that genes have anything to do with it. I believe anyone could be a body builder as long as they have the will and determination to keep with their workouts and reach their goals.

And as for you wanting to build up, a word of advice. I used to play football on my high school team and they had guys that could bench double their weight and could probably pick me up and break me in half. However, if I bent down far enough they couldn't reach.

Before you get too big, think of why you are doing it. If it's for a sport, don't go for it. It's better to be flexible and average than stiff and huge. If it's for the looks of it, then go right ahead. Get started with your core though because it'll get hard on your back and abs of you suddenly start lifting those big amounts. Let's just hope you have a job that doesn't involve much bending Smile

God bless,
Pampoon
darkmetal123
Thanks for the reply but most of that I already knew. I am actually confused about the drugs and steriods. I have seen a Shawn Ray video in which I heard that Shawn Ray once failed a drug test while applying for an IFBB competition.
That means that drugs and steriods are definetly involved in building a body like that. If it were not for the drugs, then labourers would also had professional bodies Very Happy
sandra
i do have a personal gym of my own, though it's well as standard with the ones you see in the gym house.It does work as i was skinny before i started to use it,i mean i didn't have muscles any where i counldn't take my shirt off cause i was you know what i mean.
But now though i'm not the anold of this days,i can say i look sexy with my top off,i gym quite often but i make sure i don't over do it.when i see myself going bigger than need i stop, i don't want to be a Body Guard you know.
I'll advice you go to the gym and work out,it'll give you the shape you need you can be sure of that.it worked for me and it'l work for you, you have to be committed dedicated and endure.

Enjoy your work out and tell me when you start ok.
Azmo
pampoon wrote:
Well, professional body builders do work out all day long. It is their job.

both right and wrong.. they don't work out at the gym all day long.. an average time at the gym is about 2 hours.. I'm working out alot.. got a few freidns who compete in BodyBuilding.. AND they have day time work..

however, they LIVE this.. every second of the day.. from the early morning walk (on definition period) til late night protein drink.. eat very strict and work out extremly strict..

it's not how long u work out during the day.. it's HOW you do it.. muscles needs rest to regain power and increase in size.. muscles grow under rest, not workout..

it's alot about lifting in the right way, with heavy weights.. make the muscles work close to maximum.. a few sets with 6-8 reps each..

we usually say that if you got enough power to clear the whole third set.. you didnt put on enough weight on the bar..

to build muscles isn't that hard. it's about dicipline and knowledge and time..
Afaceinthematrix
It's a little of everything. Many people use steroids and creatine... you have to work out a lot... and genetics does make a difference...
Coclus
Yeah, almost all bodybuilders take the legal creatin, that helps you build up muscles. And if have a good workout, it is fairly easy to get a lot stronger, multiplied over a few year gives you a nice body. (Although I don't really want to look like a bodybuilder! Wink
plentyof
Dedication is the key here, as long as you are dedicated you'll find yourself being commited to archiving your goal,which is to be well built, i do have a personal gym and some of my friends do come to gym with me, but the truth is,they are not dedicated.
I mean doing the gym always, if you want to built up that muscle you have to work the muscle.
Going to the gym for a months, will have you build like a nice physic.
Sadow
I'm pretty sure they use steroids, I've asked a few and they admitted they did. I must warn people to do this because steroids may hide infections in your body. My sister worked in a Academic hospital in the Netherlands and one day a bodybuilder had to stay. It seemed he had an infection in his belly somewhere. After a few weeks he started loosing all of his muscles he built all these years and after 6 weeks there was nothing more left than a skeleton with skin. He perished...
So... don't use steroids kids, they cannot be toyed with. Neutral
driftingfe3s
I personaly know a body builder who has competed in some contests. I know for sure he doesn't use steroids. Its really a combination of strict healthy eating and a good strict workout schedule.
kohn
i kno wpeople who use steriods toi build up their body, i don not support that one bit, i loves guys who sweat it out in the gym on a consatnt basics, without taken any thing to improve thier body but the raw iron in a gym house.
i always believe steriods will have a side effect later on in life.
ratfungus
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
It's a little of everything. Many people use steroids and creatine... you have to work out a lot... and genetics does make a difference...
Many of the top bodybuilders and other athletes do use drugs (and not just steroids). Don't go down this route. Extended use will cause you a lot of physiological (and probably psychological) problems. Many bodybuilders have either never used drugs - or don't use them now. There are associations that are natural (ie they don't take drugs and they test for drug use with urine or blood samples and with polygraphs (ie lie detector tests)). So you can get a good body without drugs. Genetics does have an effect. Some people are genetically predisposed to having bigger muscles than others. However, these people still have to train regularly and hard to be as big as they are. Look at these natural bodybuilding sites and they will give you the info you need. Train hard and regularly (but not 2 days in a row), eat right and you must get enough sleep/rest. You will get results doing this without resorting to drugs. Look at Bruce Lee (I think it's in enter the dragon) where he flexes his muscles. His physique was awsome and he didn't look anything like a body builder in my opinion. However as well as his JKD training, he used weight and resistance training regularly. Hope this helps.
Hammy
Im 17, and im pritty toned, i used to goto the gym twice a week and rock climbing 3 times a week. but now im slacking a bit and need to get back in there.

Things that i learnt to build up muscle is, yes to rest. Your muscle size increases while you sleep. You should workout at a gym or some place for around two hours.. This will tare the top few layers of the muscles if its intensive work. When you sleep, the body repairs the muscles and add some more onto it to make it stronger.. You have to increase the weights because your body is just increasing the muscles size to get used to the weights you lift.

Other things to help are protien drinks for your bones, eating Eggs, fish and chicken help growth ... and Pasta for carbohydrates.

If you do these things, your sure to notice a difference. Wink
Afaceinthematrix
ratfungus wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Many of the top bodybuilders and other athletes do use drugs (and not just steroids). Don't go down this route. Extended use will cause you a lot of physiological (and probably psychological) problems. Many bodybuilders have either never used drugs - or don't use them now. There are associations that are natural (ie they don't take drugs and they test for drug use with urine or blood samples and with polygraphs (ie lie detector tests)). So you can get a good body without drugs. Genetics does have an effect. Some people are genetically predisposed to having bigger muscles than others. However, these people still have to train regularly and hard to be as big as they are. Look at these natural bodybuilding sites and they will give you the info you need. Train hard and regularly (but not 2 days in a row), eat right and you must get enough sleep/rest. You will get results doing this without resorting to drugs. Look at Bruce Lee (I think it's in enter the dragon) where he flexes his muscles. His physique was awsome and he didn't look anything like a body builder in my opinion. However as well as his JKD training, he used weight and resistance training regularly. Hope this helps.

I guess many don't use steroids, I was just going off of what I saw on this one TV show where this guy used so many steroids that "his arms exploded" (not really).... The title of the TV show was called, "The Man Whose Arms Exploded" and he basically just steroided it up to the point where it looked discusting... This is what he looked like: http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/211greg-5.jpg
ratfungus
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
ratfungus wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

I guess many don't use steroids, I was just going off of what I saw on this one TV show where this guy used so many steroids that "his arms exploded" (not really).... The title of the TV show was called, "The Man Whose Arms Exploded" and he basically just steroided it up to the point where it looked discusting... This is what he looked like: http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/211greg-5.jpg
Yep - and I believe he got jailed. I saw the program here in Scotland. He showed video footage of himself sticking a syringed needle in to his biceps and sucking out puss. It was so unnatural (his muscle that is) that it actually bent the needle. That the same program you saw? The guy nearly killed himself and it is almost certain he will have shortened his life. Heart attacks are also another big danger when you take roids and so is killing someone in a roid rage - or being killed yourself.
Afaceinthematrix
ratfungus wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
ratfungus wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Yep - and I believe he got jailed. I saw the program here in Scotland. He showed video footage of himself sticking a syringed needle in to his biceps and sucking out puss. It was so unnatural (his muscle that is) that it actually bent the needle. That the same program you saw? The guy nearly killed himself and it is almost certain he will have shortened his life. Heart attacks are also another big danger when you take roids and so is killing someone in a roid rage - or being killed yourself.

Yup, same show that I saw. I would take steroids because I don't want to ever have a heart attack (I've been told that the pain is equivalent to child birth - and both are things I never want to experience) or any of the other consequences that come with steroids. Besides, I wouldn't want roid rage because I might end up like my former hero, Chris Benoit.
mikakiev
Steroids is not the only thing that professionals use now its also a growth hormone(Jintropine) ,insulin and even some of them inject synthol oil in their muscles to make the shape better.Unfortunatelly even Marcus Ruhl injected some synthol in his triceps.Thats all illegal,but everyone does it.Things like creatine and protein are completely legal and make no harm to the health apart from individual allregy.Without using steroids its OK to train 3-4 times per week ,but you need to eat proper food and sleep as much as you need to give your muscles time to grow and recover.
Guelila
Azmo wrote:

it's alot about lifting in the right way, with heavy weights.. make the muscles work close to maximum.. a few sets with 6-8 reps each..

we usually say that if you got enough power to clear the whole third set.. you didnt put on enough weight on the bar..

So... if I am working out with dumbells that are 5kgs each, it really isn't helping is it?
I normally do three sets of 30 reps with each arm whenever I have 10 minutes to spare during the day. Should I be lifting heavier dumbells?
Ghost Rider103
Guelila wrote:
Azmo wrote:

So... if I am working out with dumbells that are 5kgs each, it really isn't helping is it?
I normally do three sets of 30 reps with each arm whenever I have 10 minutes to spare during the day. Should I be lifting heavier dumbells?

If you think you can increase your weight, then do it.

If you can do these easily, then you are not building any muscle, the only thing you are doing is building up your endurance. So it is doing something, but I don't think it is doing what you are expecting to do.

Also doing just this one excercise is actually bad for you. You need to work your body out equally. Otherwise, you are going to end up looking kind of funny. You will have huge arms, but then your shoulders, chest, legs, etc. will be exteremely small compared to them.

So becareful only working one muscle group, or you might look odd Laughing
mikakiev
Guelila wrote:
Azmo wrote:

Lifting 5 kg is not bad,but it mainly improves your cardio-vascular system.If you want to progress you need to choose the weght which you can do in 8 reps ,maybe 10 but not more and start training with it in 3 sets.Also if you have got a barbell it would be great to use it too.
distantship
bodybuilding is a lifestyle to me. In view of steroids use, it is definitely a personal choice to me. As long as you stick to the cycles of steroids and know whatever you need to know about the types of steroids you are using, and most importantly, don't abuse it! Using steroids is actually a very effective supplement for any bodybuilders.