FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Building an Mini-ITX system

Arno v. Lumig
Hello everyone,

As a server I am going to build an Mini-ITX system, probably out of this motherboard. I have a few questions before I'll actually buy and assemble it:

I know it's a fanless motherboard, but when I assemble this mobo in a case with one or two (probably one) hard drives (normal 3,5" harddisks) will temperature be a problem?

I've seen several DC-to-DC converters, but they all assume I'm using a car battery. Will a "normal" computer power supply work? Does that really need the fan when it's only taking ~80watt max? Will this increase the heat enough to have to use another fan?

I'll be running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE on it, is there anything I should keep in mind?(driver support etc..)

Thanks in advance,
Eddy
psycosquirrel
A normal computer power supply should work. You definitely want a fan, just in case. Driver support shouldn't be a problem, that board is widely used.
Arno v. Lumig
Thanks a lot, psychosquirrel. A regular PSU already has a fan, so I think it won't be a problem. I will have to dissemble the PSU though, it's too high to fit under the table and into the case.

EDIT:

Uhh... Right... I ran into a problem. Newegg doesn't ship international (anymore?), and mini-itx.com is damn expensive (1.00 EUR = 0.677060 GBP at the moment, which makes it hard for me to buy anything from that isle north of me).
Does anyone know a good online store that does ship to the Netherlands? (and sells mini-itx hardware...)