FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Brief History of Time

Billwaa
I was thinking buying a used "A Brief History of Time" from B&N or Amazon. But do not know which version I should get. Since I am a student, I want to get the cheapest possible (which is the earlier version). Then I found out that the newer version have more information or something...

And another problem is, I don't know if I should get "A Brief History of Time" or "A Briefer History of Time", which is a simplier version. Do anyone know which skill or knowledge you must have to read "A Brief History of Time". And is the illustrated version worth getting.
badai
it's quite old. some of the theories has been replaced by new one. but good to understand cosmology if you don't know anything about it. i would say it's a must read book, even if you are not in to cosmology.
evanc88
I would definitely pick it up, any version. It's really interesting stuff. You should also check out a lot of work by Carl Sagan--the man is a genius! He's most famous for Cosmos, but my favorite of his is probably The Dragons of Eden. He has a lot of good books. Comet, Cosmic Connection, etc.
Jakob [JaWGames]
The later of them are more up to date and easier to understand, the problem is that it is as you probably recognized shorter which makes less facts. I would recommend you to begin with the newer shorter one and then if you find it interesting read the other one too.
Both the books are written to us with "lower knowledge" but the first one can nevertheless be quite a bit hard to understand.

The best would probably be if you could borrow both books and his other books at a library Wink
linangan
I recently read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, which is a fascinating book discussing if there was a beginning of time, whether or not the universe is infinite, and a number of physics theories and proposals attempting to explain the world we live in. One aspect of Hawking's book which I found very interesting was the way in which opinions or beliefs that do not fall within the limits of science have been used to try and influence the conclusions of scientific theory - either to add support for a theory or to try and detract from one.

I agree with Hawking that we are seeking to know the mind of God, but I do not think human reason can attain this. That would be trying to enclose the infinite within the finite. I would say we can begin by considering that aspect of ourselves which desires to know why we are here, and acknowledge that the mind of God is beyond our human capacity. We can begin by considering the spiritual reality behind the material world. It requires more than science to comprehend that.