FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

4 Tips to build a successful forum

regards
4 Tips to build a successful forum

1) Spread the news of your forum to your friends. They are the best people to further promote your forum if they find it interesting and useful.

2) Suit the taste of your friends as much as possible. This is because you can only keep visitors that like your site. Try to create more sections that discuss about different things and they may like it more.

3) Post your site to search engines. You can register at Yahoo or Google to have your website (forum) posted on major search engines. Make sure you've a distinctive name yet not too specific. This gives you the highest chance of being the first couple of sites when a keyword is entered.

4) In your forum, if possible, give certain 'advantages' to members that make them feel superior than ordinary visitors, e.g. higher limit of the size of uploaded images. This encourages registration to your forum and can directly increases the number of members of your forum.

Hope that you can have a successful forum!

Wink Regards
tamilparks
ok thanks for the ideas i will try for my new forum also
wise
Use rss feeds to notify your users of new posts and linkbacks to be able to increase page rank. Have simple design for your templates
The_Gamer294
Don't forget to make sure it works.. Very Happy
Manofgames
Offer them something different to the other billion forums on the web
Interact with your community

Good articles along these lines can be found at www.theadminzone.com
littlegiant
Start a lot of interesting threads and try to be as controversial as possible. There's nothing worse than a forum full of users who all think alike and just end up blowing smoke up each others butts all day long. Also, some have suggested that for new forums you should create a kind of alter-ego account (unbeknownst to others of course) that is used to post counter arguments/debates to the regular users posts to spice up the conversation and basically raise a little hell.
darvit
Manofgames wrote:
Offer them something different to the other billion forums on the web.

True, you should go look for a niche market to sort of "specialize in". Don't just cover the most common subjects like games, or technology--look at where there is a lack of something and take advantage of it.

[e.g. If you want to make a fan forum dedicated to Harry Potter, forget about it. Go look at other children's series where there aren't dominant communities yet, and be the pioneer.]

littlegiant wrote:

Also, some have suggested that for new forums you should create a kind of alter-ego account (unbeknownst to others of course) that is used to post counter arguments/debates to the regular users posts to spice up the conversation and basically raise a little hell.

Though better make sure that by the time you get junior admins and mods, they won't ever find out--unless you let them in the joke, of course. Wink
littlegiant
Quote:
Though better make sure that by the time you get junior admins and mods, they won't ever find out--unless you let them in the joke, of course....

Yeah it's no fun getting busted doing something like that.

Errr.... UHHM... I mean uhhh... Not that I would know from personal experience or anything... It's just that... Uhhh... That's what I heard.... *ahem*.... Silenced ... heh heh...
MARCIV
Quote:
Spread the news of your forum to your friends. They are the best people to further promote your forum if they find it interesting and useful.

i ll bait my friends with my new website lol Twisted Evil
nivinjoy
regards wrote:

3) Post your site to search engines. You can register at Yahoo or Google to have your website (forum) posted on major search engines. Make sure you've a distinctive name yet not too specific. This gives you the highest chance of being the first couple of sites when a keyword is entered.

Wink Regards

How do we do the submission of our forums to the search engines...?Is the submission free...?Is it possible to submit the forums to all the search engines.?

Are there anyother way to popularize my forumbecause recently i staretd a new forum called NJOY ZONE at njoyzone.co.nr and want to popularize the forum..So what must i do for this...?
Manofgames
Vyrthmax has a service where he'll submit your site to about a couple of thousand search engines and directories.
Aredon
Make sure to keep a handful of topics active on your forums so your members don't think your forums are ever dead.