FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is AJAX?

knight_frost
Anyone wanna tell me what is AJAX? does this had something to do with scripting? hehhe
{name here}
It's using Javascript with XML to create web pages which do not have to repeatedly reload.
MrBlueSky
A scripting technique for silently loading new data from the server. Although AJAX scripts commonly use the soon to be standardized XMLHttpRequest object, they could also use a hidden iframe or frame. An AJAX script is useless by itself. It also requires a DOM Scripting component to embed the received data in the document (rendering).

Good examples of AJAX applications are gmail, google maps and google suggest.

Although the name suggests otherwise XML isn't an important part of AJAX. Most AJAX applications don't use XML. Often JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) is used to transport data instead of XML.

Basically you could say that AJAX is not as much an implementation technique as it is a design paradigm.
Fire Boar
AJAX. Ah yes, I've been using that quite a bit recently. Basically it is using Javascript to request data from another page. It can also send POST and GET data to the page it is requesting data from. Here's a simple example:

• A link in a page has the href "javascript: changetext();". There is also some text on the page, wrapped around a div with id "text".
  • The javascript function "changetext" requests another file - say "generate_text.php".
  • "generate_text.php" generates XML that contains the text. It doesn't have to be XML, but it is a standard format and so you might as well use it.
  • The javascript will then take the data generated by the php file and turn it into a string, then insert it into the div with id "text" in place of the existing text (using normal javascript functions).

The functions may seem limited at first, but imagine the possibilities when you can send GET and POST data! I'm currently having a go at making a CMS using AJAX, and I have to say it is a roaring success - it's the fastest CMS I've ever encountered, because everything is done on the fly.
b123400
Ajax......
it can use to replace reload, in a faster way
but i think flash can do the same thing but in a more beautiful way
Stubru Freak
b123400 wrote:
Ajax......

AJAX can produce the same effects, only it will take a long time to code. It will work for people without Flash however.
varun_dodla
AJAX in itself is vast to be described in few posts. Just understand it as a way to create interactive and responsive web applications wherein you need not load the whole page again but a part of a page can be refreshed with the updates.

Get to know more at wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29

If you are a Java programmer then you need not even go the traditional way of creating the XmlHttpRequest Object and so on. You can use the DWR api to do it for you.
http://getahead.org/dwr

Hope this helps.
tony
or use of the pretty URLs (niiice function of mediawiki hehe)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)

!!
lucianobosco
Ajax, or AJAX, is a web development technique used for creating interactive web applications. The intent is to make web pages feel more responsive by exchanging small amounts of data with the server behind the scenes, so that the entire web page does not have to be reloaded each time the user requests a change. This is intended to increase the web page's interactivity, speed, functionality, and usability.
Ajax uses a combination of:
*XHTML (or HTML) and CSS, for marking up and styling information.
*The DOM accessed with a client-side scripting language, especially ECMAScript implementations such as JavaScript and JScript, to dynamically display and interact with the information presented.
*The XMLHttpRequest object is used to exchange data asynchronously with the web server. In some Ajax frameworks and in certain situations, an IFrame object is used instead of the XMLHttpRequest object to exchange data with the web server, and in other implementations, dynamically added <script> tags may be used.
*XML is sometimes used as the format for transferring data between the server and client, although any format will work, including preformatted HTML, plain text and JSON. These files may be created dynamically by some form of server-side scripting.
dayveday
b123400 wrote:
Ajax......

Ajax is actually quite different to Flash. Really, it's main purpose is to exchange data with the server without having to load an entire new page. In the "olden days" you would have to submit a form or click a link to load new things onto a page. Ajax (which is really just an evolution of technologies) lets you load new information into the current page. Great for checking if a username is taken, submitting posts to forums etc. However, the full page-load technique must also be available for older/cut-down browsers.

Flash, on the other hand, is mostly for animation and interactive content. It also has the ability to exchange information with the server, but this should really only be used in conjunction with its other features. It requires users to have a flash plugin to work and would generally require a larger file to be loaded from the server before it can be used.
pollux1er
If you can help us by posting links to website which are explaining well ajax for beginners, we are going to improve... Wink
Stubru Freak
pollux1er wrote:
If you can help us by posting links to website which are explaining well ajax for beginners, we are going to improve... Wink

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/AJAX