FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Korean man 'overdoses' on gaming

budazz
ANYTHING in excess could kill. A 28-year-old man from Taegu. South Korea reportedly died of heart failure Tuesday after playing an online battle simulation game for 50 hours, according to a Reuters report.

The man, known only by his family name of Lee, started playing an online game in a cybercafe in August 3 and only left his seat to go to the toilet or to take naps on a makeshift bed.

It was not identified which online video game Lee was playing.

According to the Reuters report, Lee was still able to finish his game minutes before he died, apparently of exhaustion. It was reported that Lee recently resigned to spend more time playing games.

This was not the first time that a man died after a marathon video game session. In 2002, another jobless South Korean man died after playing 86 hours straight. The man collapsed inside a toilet in cybercafe and was said to have gone without food for nearly four days. Laughing Laughing
hofer
50 hours of gaming is really an "overdose", i really don't know how someone can play a game for 50 hours and don't get bored of doing that.
lpbrasil
I see this man is crazy... 50HOURS Shocked is much for play... he stop the job for play games... Confused
Maka
Eh I just played cs:s for about an hour or two and had to leave the pc as it just gets boring or you get a headache, he must if been one major geek or ill to last that long.
mohamed
i wonder what game he could have played for that long. You can put down shooting game in around 12 hours. You need to get to the internet to check out the internet when you get stuck in RPG games. Strat and sports game gets repetitive in just a while...
tidruG
All points made make sense.
But no one's asking the question as to why anyone would want to spend 50 hours gaming continuously?
I mean, we've asked the how and the what he played...
Personally, spending 4-5 hours in front of a screen without water/food is enough to make me wanna puke and swear off screens for the next 2 weeks.

BTW, Happy 200th post to me Very Happy
gtb
This is like the 10th death caused by nonstop gaming in Asia. You'd think that those public gaming places would have a time restriction.

edited: my first post came out all wrong. Sorry, I can't really figure out a way to make this not sound mean.
tidruG
gtb wrote:
What is this, like the 10th video game and no sleep death in South Korea? Don't those people ever learn that nonstop video gaming is unhealthy?

Woah man! What have you got against the rest of the world? You've got like this major thing that you and your country rock and everything else and everybody else was born to kiss your ass. If you can't accept others opinions, a forum isn't the right place for you.
gtb
Sorry, that message came out wrong. I definately don't have anything against the rest of the world, it's just all the gaming related deaths i've heard of take place in Korea.
tidruG
gtb wrote:
Sorry, that message came out wrong. I definately don't have anything against the rest of the world, it's just all the gaming related deaths i've heard of take place in Korea.

Yeah, I suppose I over-reacted too...
It's all good... sometimes it just gets a little hard to see the attitude behind a post when you type something out, and we can't hear you saying it...
Anyway, sorry for over-reacting... it's all good...
gtb
Sorry about all the confusion. I'm just too used to posting sarchastic messages with people I know really well, I guess. But, yeah, it's all good. If you didn't catch me though I would just make myself look like a major jerk here.
JoHaN
when it gets that bad he really needs to get some help. That is way to long to playing strait, he probably spent a lot at the cafe also.
ekingisrael
I think only adventure games can make you sit so meny hours-because they dont have somekind of ending-like end of round at battlefield II (wich if it didnt have any end I could play more than the one that played 86 hours straight )
frozenhead
50 hours or even more hours is TOO MUCH... Well, anything that is too much is bad...

I tried playing for 10 hours straight (MMOPRG)... and i really feel dizzy after..
Ask me if ill do it 50 hours?.. never.. that's way too much me.. Idea
supjapscrapper
I don't wanna say this like I have anything against them but people in south-east asia have professional gaming leagues and they love this so much being behind their screens and escaping the worlds reality ...
They have such a strong playing culture ... I think it's normal that we see some excesses, but for me, one's death is enough to start asking a socialogic question about this whole mess.
budazz
Maka wrote:
Eh I just played cs:s for about an hour or two and had to leave the pc as it just gets boring or you get a headache, he must if been one major geek or ill to last that long.

yeah me too when i played cs or something like cs i can get easily got headache and sometimes i vommit (yuck) Laughing
BioHaZaRD
This is the saddest thing I have ever heard. You must be very lonely to play for so long without stopping. I probly max out at 6 hours playing computer games. I wonder if it caused any vision problems.
hrtorrent
I have a friend on colledge who play warcraft II non stop for 30 hours and when at least he decided to shut down computer and go to eat somehing, he realize that did'nt save the game.
We all just hear a sound like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!".

Wink
Tiger
50 hours is way to much. I remember the first time I played Civilization, I played for about 12 hours straight. Anyway, I find the Internet far more interesting than games Very Happy .

Recently I read about a boy in Russia who died. Apparently he collapsed in the Internet Cafe and was rushed to hospital, where he died. Doctors were shocked and the autopsy showed he had a brain haemorrhage.

It seems that he spent one month in the Internet cafe, playing a game for about 12 hours every day. That's about 360 hours of gamplay in a month! The report said he went home every night to eat and sleep, but he was in the cafe every morning when they opened and stayed until late. Crazy!

I think that Internet Cafes and such places should place limits on gameplay - like some bars place limits on drinking. Even in the movies you see the barkeep saying: "Haven't youhad enough?". Well, they should have similar rules for Internet cafes and gaming competitions.

At the end of the day though - we just need to make sure we do things in moderation!
budazz
EVERYTHING SO EXCESSIVE IS BAD ...
yagami
Koreans and chineses spends a lot of time in cybers or arcades. There are cybercafes in china and korea that haves toilets, dining room, shops, and ever beds!
Potternet
Woah, i managed to play a game for 26 hours straight. When i got up and got some food i asked my dad something, but then he had gone. I went upstairs and he played the game for 30 hours!
tidruG
Potternet wrote:
Woah, i managed to play a game for 26 hours straight. When i got up and got some food i asked my dad something, but then he had gone. I went upstairs and he played the game for 30 hours!

So, you could say it runs in the genes? Laughing
hiddenstreet
Its all just addiction.

I'm sure that dude would only have his fun time playing games, not anything else.

Cybercafes also has sleepover plans for serious hardcore gamers...

Guess Science and Technology has some bad cons too.
yjwong
The dark side of science and technology revealed...
Herbz3
Didn't the people there notice that the guy was goin for 50 hours straight?
You would think that someone would come over to him and tell him that you need to eat and sleep some.....
Though ive gone for 10 hours non-stop, i couldnt believe someone would go for 50 hours and die over some stupid game.
shiningwin
Man! That is just plain wrong!
budazz
yjwong wrote:
The dark side of science and technology revealed...

yeah your right there...everything has a bad side....what do you think to this man? i think his playing to the otherside too at least he can spend playing for a long time Laughing
af169
o my gad ,50HOURS is much for play. i much 10 hours.
gonzo
budazz wrote:
EVERYTHING SO EXCESSIVE IS BAD ...

like caps lock?
billgertz
wow! really? i dont think that playing the game killed the korean guy, its probably his frustration to finnish the game in a short time. probably his failure to finnish it in a shorter time triggered his internal organs not to work properly.. hahahaha.. no moral lesson is, dont be too excited.. har har har
bharatchoragudi
50 hrs of gaming will surely make a heart fail after such intensity.. I can't play for more than 2 hrs at a stretch.. I don't know how theese guys manage such lenghts.. Truly baffling
hedgehog2
How do people stand to do things like that? I am almost never home, what with paper route and cross country and school... you would think that people would rather spend their time doing something productive instead of something that will give you a heart attack. Maybe an hour is OK, but 50 is just a huge overdose, nicely said.
aethiops
huh... that you can call adicted... have to show my dad this post, then he can see that im not even close, and maybe get off my back.... Razz
mengshi200
This man should be not first do it on crazing .
pixelkitten83
Sad awww.. that's sad.. 50 hours?! Shocked I only spend the maximum time of 12 hours on my pc.. and so true it gets boring and you get a head ache. you get sick of it, too. my, I can't believe it.. it's really true that too much of something can really kill.. I thank my hubby for telling me that. all we need is patience and a lot of self-control.
Gubber
are you guys serious, i can sit down and play good games forever, i dont even need to eat when im at my computer, i would have to be away from home though to go without eatting/sleep