FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Quote of All Time

melissareich
What is your favorite quote?

I have many, many quotes that I love. I'm not talking about quotes people use like "Roses are red, violets are blue, you are sweet, and I am too". I like philosophy quotes by people you actually recognize.

My favorite one that I occasionally repeat from time to time is

"If you ain't got nothin'... then you ain't got nothin' to lose."
-Janis Joplin

I find humor, but just "life" in it too, at first I didn't like the quote. But if you think about it, it's basically true. Since then that quote stuck with me.

So what's your favorite quote?
.you.make.my.heart.happy.
Well to be completely honest with you, my all time favorite quote is by Monty Python's X-parrot sketch.

"This parrot is no more, it has ceased to be, it's expired and gone to meet it's maker, this, is a late parrot"

Lol, it kills me everytime!

~love: nIkKi
hellpainter
lol the best quote in the world -

Lhur-
"I think there was something in that hippie."
DjinniFire
"When you know something, say what you know. When you don't know something, say that you don't know. That is knowledge. "
-Confucius

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
evanc88
"First of all: I am tired! I am true of heart!

And also: You are tired! You are true of heart!"
-Dave Eggers
Jakob [JaWGames]
I like the sentence "Tidyness are only for idiots, geniouses do also master chaos" Smile

Hmm, the grammar in that sentence is probably quite weird but I did my best trying to translate it from Swedish. Rolling Eyes
twisthigh
"The prettiest people do the ugliest things"

I know its from Kanye West, but so what, it's true, look all the pretty celebrities that just somehow seem to loose their way, ending up in jail or in rehab, or in Anna Nicole's case... dead. It just goes to show you how beauty is not the most important thing about a person.
kopnima
"if you ask me a question i will broke all bones in your body"
this is from the Jamaica Inn. I have to read this book, cause i need it to the exam but it is the worst book i have ever read Mad
nilsmo
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Crazy_Canuck
melissareich wrote:

I have many, many quotes that I love. I'm not talking about quotes people use like "Roses are red, violets are blue, you are sweet, and I am too". I like philosophy quotes by people you actually recognize.

-Janis Joplin

Actually, I think you're confusing two different lyrics:

From Like A Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan: "when you ain't got nothin', you got nothing to lose"

and

From Me and Bobby McGee, music/lyrics by Kris Kristofferson (covered by Janis Joplin, among others): "freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose."

Smile

A song lyric I love is: "you got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight" -- Lovers in a Dangerous Time, lyrics/music by Bruce Cockburn, covered by the Barenaked Ladies
Crazy_Canuck
Jakob [JaWGames] wrote:
I like the sentence "Tidyness are only for idiots, geniouses do also master chaos" Smile

Hmm, the grammar in that sentence is probably quite weird but I did my best trying to translate it from Swedish. Rolling Eyes

Similar to Oscar Wilde's: "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
pampoon
Ok, how about:
Quote:
It is better for people to think you are crazy and remain silent, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I don't know where I heard that, but I've always liked it.

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon
ExplicitRyan
Quote:
From the minute you are born you begin to die.
azbuky
Well... it's difficult to choose between so many true quotes I've heard in my life, so I'll choose one that is suitable for me at the moment...

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Robert McCloskey said that. True, isn't it? Smile
Crazy_Canuck
azbuky wrote:
Well... it's difficult to choose between so many true quotes I've heard in my life, so I'll choose one that is suitable for me at the moment...

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Robert McCloskey said that. True, isn't it? Smile

Love it. I'm inferring what you're not implying?
ddukki
My friend actually said this one and I thought it was a brilliant way to brighten up a day ... or make it worse, depending on the circumstances:

"It's hard to be depressed when someone farts"

My single favorite quote from an actual published source would be just one line from a W.B. Yeats poem:

"But I being poor, have only my dreams"

Kind of depressing, but then I think of the first one, and I'm fine.
flutter-nutter
" Spirits are always with you! " - Don Kanonji

My favorite quote ever! Very Happy
missdixy
"If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud."

Emile Zola

<3 love that
Vrythramax
Jim Morrison - "No one gets out of life alive"
melissareich
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
melissareich wrote:

-Janis Joplin

Actually, I think you're confusing two different lyrics:

From Like A Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan: "when you ain't got nothin', you got nothing to lose"

and

From Me and Bobby McGee, music/lyrics by Kris Kristofferson (covered by Janis Joplin, among others): "freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose."

Smile

A song lyric I love is: "you got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight" -- Lovers in a Dangerous Time, lyrics/music by Bruce Cockburn, covered by the Barenaked Ladies

ohhhhh thanks for letting me no! my friend used this quote before, thats when I saw it and didn't like it (hmmm first impression). he said it was janis joplin's quote... but I guess not, thanks again Very Happy

twisthigh wrote:
"The prettiest people do the ugliest things"

I know its from Kanye West, but so what, it's true, look all the pretty celebrities that just somehow seem to loose their way, ending up in jail or in rehab, or in Anna Nicole's case... dead. It just goes to show you how beauty is not the most important thing about a person.

while reading through all these, this caught my eye! lol i really like it

thanks to everyone who replied to this topic.. I knew it would be an interesting one Razz
aprivateaccount
Quote:

“An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.”

oscar wilde.

[/quote]
missdixy
aprivateaccount wrote:
Quote:

“An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.”

oscar wilde.

[/quote]

Oh that's a pretty awesome quote.
Vrythramax
Quote:
"If you build something idiot proof...someone else will build a better idiot."

Murphy's Laws

This is so true it's not even funny.
KatanaSky
nilsmo wrote:
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

I like that one a lot - I wish I knew who said that or where it's from.

My favorite quote would have to be one from Abraham Lincoln:

"Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
sondosia
My favorite quote:

"Happiness is a hound dog in the sun. We are not here to be happy, but to experience great and wonderful things."

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I love this quote because it gives me an excuse for not being happy all the time. You don't experience life completely if you just sit around being happy, after all.
Tumbleweed
Albert Einstein wrote:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Proof Albert was not an alien Razz
melissareich
Vrythramax wrote:
Quote:
"If you build something idiot proof...someone else will build a better idiot."

Murphy's Laws

This is so true it's not even funny.

So true! I love it!

I'm glad people still post on this topic... anyway I just remembered another favorite quote of mine...

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

-Mahatma Gandhi
Vrythramax
Heck....I'm just glad to see myself quoted! (Even if I didn't write the original) AND I was quoted with the likes of Gandhi in the same post.....wow Smile
Genesiz
My favourite quote is from Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

'Of course it is happening in your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'

You gotta love it.

Oh and a quote from Gichin Funakoshi:

"When you look at life think in terms of karate.
But remember that karate is not only karate -- it is life."
makifersoy
"Hapy is the man who can say i am a Turk." M. Kemal ATATURK.
melissareich
Glad people liked this post! I need to find a new quote that I like... I haven't been looking them up since I'm too busy, Wink.
akshar
"Without the aid of prejudice and custom I should not be able to find my way across the room."
akshar
Senator Patrick Leahy
from Quotes of the Day
"You get fifteen democrats in a room, and you get twenty opinions."
Flakky
"Pessimists are finally optimists 'cause they see the end of the world comming."~No clue who wrote it, but it is awesome Very Happy
maruthi_gow
SOME SAYS ITS BY CHAPLIN..
"I LOVE TO WALK IN THE RAIN,BECAUSE NO ONE CAN SEE ME TEARS"
I DON KNO IF THOSE ARE THE EXACT WORDS..
AND THIS ONE TOO
"SOME GOALS ARE SO WORTHY,ITS GLORIOUS EVEN TO FAIL."
BY LT.MANOJ KUMAR PANDEY.
minty
My favorite quote of all time is

Quote:
I shit you not!

This is in the movie, Shawshank Redemption when the main character does not come out in the morning and the guard is warning him. Great quote and movie!
mimsxmassacre
My favorite quote:

"Happiness is a hound dog in the sun. We are not here to be happy, but to experience great and wonderful things."

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I love this quote because it gives me an excuse for not being happy all the time. You don't experience life completely if you just sit around being happy, after all.

OMG WE HAVE THE SAME QUOTE
WTFWTFWTF!
zjosie729
I saw this on a linux forum, and I really like it. it's not my favorite quote but I don't really remember my favorite one. (I have it kept in a notebook).

"Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house."
Crazy_Canuck
I've recently learned that one of my favourite quotations, attributed to Elenore Roosevelt, is actually a Chinese proverb (as I just posted on the Proverb thread): "Better to light one candle, than curse the darkness."

In terms of humorous quotations, you can't beat Oscar Wilde:
  • A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.
  • A poet can survive everything but a misprint.
  • An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.
  • Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.

Just a few that I found quickly. Look him up, even taken out of context Wilde is always amusing!
heartbeat
"Dont make your life a sketch you could not have time to rewrite it clean" cant remember

"if a problem has a solution, no point in worrying, if a problem doens't have a solution no point in worrying"

"make love not war"
sunpascal
KatanaSky wrote:
nilsmo wrote:

I like that one a lot - I wish I knew who said that or where it's from.

its a Chinese Proverb
zellfaze
"I'm probably saying things I shouldn't, but you said it yourself, Vanyel. It's been *12 years*. Don't you think that's an awful long time to be holding onto a memory so tightly that it strangles you?" --Jashin, "Magic's Promise" (Book II of the Last Herald Mage)

I love that quote, it is very useful to remember when something is bothering you.
MaxStirner
[DELETED]
megwings
(My first post here.. yays)

"A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side." - Aristotle.
crimson_aria
I have many favorite quotes.

These are some of the quotes that help me live my life from day to day:

"Yesterday Ended Last Night" -- John Maxwell
simple, but very meaningful. It reminds me that what happened in the past is in the past. Everyday is a brand new start.

"I do the very best I know how, the very best I can and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference." - Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf (LOTR)

and this, I don't know who said this but here it goes.. "Half the trouble in this life can be traced to the acts f saying 'yes' to quick and not saying 'no' soon enough"
zellfaze
"Control the situation, do not let it control you" - Unknown
Ireon
Last week I stated that this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister and now wish to withdraw that statement.
---Mark Twain

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
---Albert Einstein

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.
---Albert Einstein

The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
---Albert Einstein

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.
---Abraham Lincoln

Ah...so many pedestrians, so little time...
---Robin Williams

He would make a lovely corpse.
---Charles Dickens

My father confused me. From the ages of one to seven, I thought my name was Jesus Christ!
---Bill Cosby
Coclus
"on a long enough timeline everyone's survival rate drops to zero"
from Fight Club
Dean_The_Great
"Power Corrupts, Absolute Power is Kind of Neat"

Heh, I saw this on the back of a compatability test I did in High School. I thought it was a pretty funny play on an actually amazing quote, and it's been my favourite ever since (which is a while now)
gtoroap
I have a lot... but many of them belong to my favorite painter, Salvador Dalí.

"Only are two bad things in the world. You named Pablo Picasso or not named Salvador Dalí" ... great.
roninmedia
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech titled "Citizen in a Republic" delivered at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."
- Rei Ayanami, Neon Genesis Evangelion

"I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
N.B.: This is a paraphrase from the ancient Hindu text, the Bhagavad Gita.
J. Robert Oppenheimer, On the invention of the atom bomb
flowerpower
I have not one favourite but several indeed. Here we go;

"The real tragedy is the tragedy of the man who never in his life braces himself for his one supreme effort-he never stretches to his full capacity, never stands up to his full stature."
Arnold Bennett
"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. "

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

Mahatma Gandhi

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.

Helen Keller

Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.
Mother Teresa

Jesus said love one another. He didn't say love the whole world.
Mother Teresa
Wildchild
its not about how high you rise or how low you fall.
its about how hard you fight back.
--i dont know who said it .
jabce85
"Between ingenuity and the analytic ability there exists a difference far greater, indeed, than that between the fancy and the imagination, but of a character very strictly analogous. It will be found, in fact, that the ingenious are always fanciful, and the truly imaginative never otherwise than analytic."

- E.A. Poe, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"
xavax
"Build a system even a fool can use, and only a fool will use use it."
"The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that's the way to bet."
slashnburn99
Song by Aerosmith - Love in an Elevator best line of lyrics ever

"Show you how to fax in the mail room honey and have you home by 5"

Films

Days of Thunder, Top Gun and the original Star wars

Played in a golf match last week

stood on the tee and said to myself, after my playing partner told me to hit driver instead of 3 wood down a fairway no wider than a street road.

"Who`s the most foolish, the fool or the fool who follows the fool"

Hit a great shot though!!
stel4e
"To be in love is not the same as loving. You can be in love with a woman and still hate her."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
stel4e
"The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look."

(Julius Caesar, 75 B.C.)
stel4e
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves--say rather, loved in spite of ourselves"
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
BigGeek
"Now I have them where I want them, it will make it easier for me to kill these people" Chesty Puller Commanding general of the 1st Marine Division when they were surronded by 8 Chinese divisions at the Chosin resevior.
redslazers
Yes i know its not really from a book but

"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon"
Watchmen
PennyLane
"Breath. Let go..." By Oprah Smile
jessicawalker
A few that inspire me:

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation" -Plato

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep." -Shakespeare (The Tempest)

"A man who as a physical being is always turned toward the outside, thinking that his happiness lies outside him, finally turns inward and discovers the source is within him." -Kierkegaard

"I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are very wise and very beautiful; but I never read in either of them: "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden."" -Augustine

"I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between Him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creation of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him." –Napoleon
stel4e
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Mark Twain
stel4e
"I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won't."

Mark Twain
bchuminx
LIFE-Fullest=LIE!

Living your life to the max and cherish each second, every opportunities to its best..no turning back and regret points..without living life to the full, it's like doing injustice to self as if we are lying to ourselves that we will be content and everything is alright..1 life, 1 chance, and live is beautiful at the fullest ;D