FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cherry tree

Jurado
Hello,

We have a cherry tree, but every year there are cherry picking birds, they steal all our cherries. So i thought we need to get rid of those birds. But I don"t know any good solution, it has to be a not-noisy solution.
Maybe our dear Frihost members now a good solution.

Thank In Advance.
ocalhoun
Well, one solution I've heard works well (though you might not want to use it) is to use a shotgun or other gun to kill one or two of the birds, then hang the dead birds up in the tree. The other birds don't like eating next to dead fellows, so they stay away.

Unfortunately, this method has side effects that I'm sure you could think of without me pointing them out.
Azmo
my neighbours had this problem.. but they used something (dunno the name but google for it) they sprayed on the three, was like a smell or something that didn't hurt the cherrys or the three, but the birds didn't like it and stayed away...
WallBase
hm have a nett over the trees, but the nett must be 0.5 m over the tree and same with the width... we HAVE the same prb.. but now we got some nett over it. and the birds ar gone^,) to our nabor! xDxD Try the Nett

or spray them, yeas go to a flower stoore or something and ask!!^^,)

but I recomend the nett!!
Jurado
Thank you guys, A spray sounds interesting, will search it out.
A net is also one of the possibilities but it isnt easy to put the net over the tree.

Grtzz,
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, one solution I've heard works well (though you might not want to use it) is to use a shotgun or other gun to kill one or two of the birds, then hang the dead birds up in the tree. The other birds don't like eating next to dead fellows, so they stay away.

Unfortunately, this method has side effects that I'm sure you could think of without me pointing them out.

oh thats just cruel! Coming from a self-proclaimed animal lover how could you even suggest this???

If you horse poops in my yard may I shoot him?
eku53ru
I think my father had this problem with the cherry tree that was in our backyard. I think the method he used was the one already suggested in the thread - to place a net over the tree, or at least some kind of mesh covering. It should make it harder for a bird to reach the cherries if its beak can't make it through, right?

Another tactic that I found my dad used (albeit it was weird) was to hang CDs from the branches; the reflections from the sun hitting the discs apparently scare the birds away, or something.
Blaster
Hmm my grandmother had this problem also with a plumb tree. I forget what she would do. But really in way there is little you can do... See personally i would just search google for a solution and then try some of the solutions that you found there.
Jurado
Thx guys, I already searched google out. Thought you would be very inventive. However a net isn't possible. Maybe i will hang some CD'S . I"ve seen this method already before somewhere else. Wasn't very effective I think, could try it anyway.
Hobbit
Vrythramax wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

oh thats just cruel! Coming from a self-proclaimed animal lover how could you even suggest this???

If you horse poops in my yard may I shoot him?

LMAO, too funny. Laughing

Seriously, why do you even have this tree if you know there's birds that eat cherries? I don't recommend the spray, I'm sure it could be damaging to your body in the long run. But then again, everything we eat these days is just as bad.
Yantaal
camp out occasionaly roar to scrare them, OR put a fake cherry tree up for the bird to go, the fake one will obviouslylook gorgeous, so theyshose the bigger nicer fake cherries, your once with flourish and taste good in your mouth. problem. solved.
Aless
Put a fake owl around? My mom used to do this to keep pest-birds away.
BugBear
Putting up the net over the tree would prolly be the safest way (you don't consume any posions or chemicals or w/e) also the killing 2 birds and hanging them up sounds pretty good, if it worked really good that is Very Happy

(I'd suggest the net Very Happy)
Vrythramax
hmmm...so I guess the best way to keep anyone from taking a shortcut through my backyard is to hang someone in the front yard. Laughing
[FuN]goku
ocalhoun wrote:

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice... i could just picture that... errrmm anyways about your problem... i have no clue.. i use to have a few of them when i lived at my old house but... i never had any birds eat them... well they may have nipped a few but not many... so... idk what to tell ya .... srry Confused
Hobbit
Vrythramax wrote:
hmmm...so I guess the best way to keep anyone from taking a shortcut through my backyard is to hang someone in the front yard. Laughing

Sounds like a plan! Even though I don't have any trees at all.
Vrythramax
Hobbit wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

Sounds like a plan! Even though I don't have any trees at all.

You don't always need a tree...a large fence post or even a scaffold may suffice. Very Happy

Edit: Thinking about it, I think the more trouble you go through to hang the one in the front yard may discourage the ones in the backyard.
TruPain
Garlic Barrier is used to keep birds from various fruit trees such as cherry trees. The birds come only when the fruit begins to "sugar" and ripen. The birds smell that the fruit is ripening and attack the fruit, often causing severe damage. Garlic Barrier "masks" the ripening odor of the fruit to the extent that the birds cannot detect that the fruit is ripening and therefore ignore the garlic sprayed trees. Garlic Barrier will not repel birds from trees that they use as roosting areas.

http://www.garlicbarrier.com/facts.html

Worth a try I would guess...
Jinx
My grandmother used to use inflatable owls in the trees around her garden. The fake predators make smaller prey birds think twice, and the inflatable ones seem to work best because they move a little when the wind blows, making them seem more lifelike. If you have a garden store or a co-op nearby you should be able to find them there.

Or, anything that flaps in the wind would probably work, like tying bright ribbons to the branches.
WickedGravity
Birds are often repulsed by high frequency noises that the human ear, and even that of a dog would not pick up on and cause an annoyance to.

It has a localized effect radius so you wouldn't drive off the entire block's bird population, just your particular nest of thieves.
Daisie
I am surounded by allotment where ppl grown their own vegs and they are big on cd hanging to chase the birds, if you dont have any spare, silver foil will do as well!