FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Use E-bay Ads, which have products the users here want.

Would you be more likely to buy things from these ebay ads than from the current ads?
Yes, the current ads show things too expensive for me.
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
I would buy things from either.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
I never click ANY ads.
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
No, I prefer the ones we have now.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
What ads? I block 'em.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

ocalhoun
I've started to participate in another forum that gives benifits for posting, and I notice they use ads by E-bay.

I don't know whether they are more profitable or if they conflict with google adsense, but I, personally, am far more likely to click those E-bay ads. They often have very good bargains and unusual products listed there, and they seem to be either context-sensitive or to keep track of individual users' interests and cater to those. (For example, I listed on that forum that I once drove a ford explorer, and now some of the ads are for ford explorer parts.)

I think it might be worth looking into to see whether theese ads are a good fit for Frihost. I suspect that most Frihost users, as well as myself, would be more likely to click on an ad for a used 24 port switch for $10 than an ad for a plasma TV for $1819. These ads might be a better replacement for the eMiniMalls ads.

An example of them in use: \
Vrythramax
Then maybe you should stay there and keep clicking ads....your not doing much here except creating turmoil.

Bondings has the final say about which ads are posted.
ocalhoun
^I'm not trying to create turmoiol.

I'm just pointing out a different type of ad that bondings might not know about, which I think would be better than the current ads. Believe it or not, I want Frihost to succeed and become even better. I think that these different types of ads might help towards that goal. Of course bondings has the final word about it; I just want to give him some information to think about. The poll is not for the purpose of pressuring anybody to make changes, it is just there to show whether changes would be benificial.
Vrythramax
you may very well be right ocalhoun, but the simple matter is Bondings has done the reasearch and (I feel) he has done a damn fine job. How many other free hosts have survived for this long?

Give the man some credit, he knows what he's doing.
saratdear
I think I have to say I agree with ocalhoun on this one. Bondings has already said that the Chitika ads on the top don't get any hits, so he was going to remove them. It is probably better to remove them and try placing these to see whether it yields any better results. This is just an opinion, of course.

Vrythramax, I don't think anybody here was criticizing Bondings, or not giving credit, or anything of the sort. Almost all here know he is doing a damn fine job. Members suggest changes, don't they? Smile
Vrythramax
saratdear wrote:
I think I have to say I agree with ocalhoun on this one. Bondings has already said that the Chitika ads on the top don't get any hits, so he was going to remove them. It is probably better to remove them and try placing these to see whether it yields any better results. This is just an opinion, of course.

Vrythramax, I don't think anybody here was criticizing Bondings, or not giving credit, or anything of the sort. Almost all here know he is doing a damn fine job. Members suggest changes, don't they? Smile

absolutly...you are very correct. Please forgive me if my fondness for frihost spilled over.

Do I have to cry now too? Crying or Very sad
reddishblue
Nobody can say Bondings hasn't done lots of research about this, but we have a suggestions forum so we can suggest changes to Frihost.

I actually think this is a very good idea, few people who use Free Hosting can afford expensive Plasma TVs and SRL Cameras, but Ebay provides ads that are targeted and effective, and well known, because who doesn't know Ebay.

It may also be a good idea to consider Amazon.com ads, which would get quite a few clicks for giving targeted books, especially ones about coding and web design, which is the main user intrest of Frihost.
saratdear
Vrythramax wrote:
saratdear wrote:

absolutly...you are very correct. Please forgive me if my fondness for frihost spilled over.

Do I have to cry now too? Crying or Very sad

No. You don't have to. Smile But I have to say I detect a slight hint of sarcasm there? Or am I mistaken?
Vrythramax
@saretdear

do I detect a bit of sarcasm on your part?

It's all good, we both love Frihost. Smile
saratdear
@Vrythramax

No. Really. No sarcasm intended on my part. But I have to say something. Whatever the ads, there is no chance on my buying them, except maybe clicking on the ads to check the products out. Er..rather simply put, I don't have buying power. But that does not stop me from trying to think up of ways to generate more revenue for Frihost, does it?

So, a big Thumbs Up for this idea.

By the way, I am saratdear, and not saretdear. Razz Or just call me Sarat. Smile
Vrythramax
@Saret

you are the best...your articulate, eloquent, and shy.

I'm sorry if I offended you Sad
saratdear
@Max

I am glad that I finally found someone who thinks I am best at something. Maybe we can be friends from now. Smile

But back on topic, I am sort of surprised at the lack of interest on this. I already suggested this thread to Bondings on another post. Maybe he will consider it.
Vrythramax
you have friend Smile
Bondings
Ocalhoun, that's a good suggestion. I'll probably be trying it out this summer. However, I'll probably be removing all ads for logged in users anyway, so only visitors/guests will see them.
Bockman
Bondings wrote:
(...)I'll probably be removing all ads for logged in users anyway, so only visitors/guests will see them.

I must say i don't agree with removing ALL of the ads Sad

I DO click on some of them every once in a while (this means 1 a day) and it's good to have some new items I may want to buy (even if i don't buy them, i check them out). And I (as probably most other users) never get here as a guest Wink .

As for changing the ad to another type of ad, i guess we could have 2 sets of ads from different places yes.

Be Well Cool
Manofgames
I have to agree with Bockman on this, I personally would not purchase things from half the current ads, but i still click a few to support you.

Its not even like the ads are intrusive though.
Im on my phone atm, and the ads dont bother me really.

Youve already removed some ads, there isnt any reason to remove more.
garionw
I also think you shouldn't remove all of the ads for registered members. I have been known to (on occasion's) click the odd Google Ad, but only in the topic (Not on the homepage or Forums)

So yes, I would keep some ads for registered members, but maybe you could let us choose the types of ads we want to see, and where we want them. All ads could be enabled by default, and in order to change them, you would need to go to your profile to change them.
reddishblue
I think only the Chikita ads should be removed, like so many members that have posted before me, I am now clicking on ads, normally only to help Frihost, but the reason doesn't matter does it?
But I think that the expensive plasma TV and Ipod ones really should go, they don't even look well placed in the theme of Frihost.
Bondings
I will indeed be removing the Chitika ads for members as some people suggested. I'm actually bothered by them myself as they delay the pages from loading (not much, but enough). Besides, the space at the top is a good place to put user links and stats.
Blaster
ahh your talking about auction ads. http://www.auctionads.com/

Patrick O'Keef told me about it. http://communityadmins.com/post7681.html#7681

So I might play around with them a bit too myself. However removing ll ads i don't think is a good idea. Keep some on here.

A site free host i work at we have just 2 ads at max per page. None on the home page. What i'm saying is that just keep one or two up and that will be good.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
ahh your talking about auction ads. http://www.auctionads.com/

Not quite the same thing, but close enough. Those would be just as good.

As for removing all ads, sure removing them from the homepage would be good, but leave a couple on the topic pages (One google and one auction, perhaps) where they can make good use of context sensitiveness.