FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a software change Flash Disk To Computer Memory ?

phicha
My computer using memory SD RAM 512 and P IV 1,6 GHZ, and it seem being so slow lately, but it;s support USB for using flashdisk,

is there a software to change the Flash Disk into Computer memory ? I meant like a Emulator for fasting my computer

Thank you ^_^
Animal
I'm not aware of any software that can do this for you (although someone may be able to point some out that I don't know of), however you should be aware that the performance of USB flash memory is much slower than RAM memory. The point in RAM is that it is fast memory that programs and other data can quickly swap in and out of.

I'm aware that Windows Vista offers this kind of expansion capability by default, although there are high requirements on the actual USB hardware itself - from Amazon reviews on cheap flash disks, it's clear that very few actually meet Vista's "performance criteria".

To improve your performance, I'd hghly recommend that you just buy some more RAM. Depending on your system, it could cost as little as $30 to add a gigabyte of RAM. It may actually be possible to get software to emulate RAM using a flash drive, but IMO additional physical RAM is the best option.
phicha
i don't have such many money, and in my country, they are no one sell SD RAM any more, they only sell DDR RAM or DDR2 RAM.

eh are you sure that Vista can use External Memory like Flash disk as a Internal Memory ?? Very Happy

Cheers,
Bones
It's not quite like internal memory, it's more like a pagefile and it's called Ready Boost. The advantage is that a USB drive is faster than using the hard drive's pagefile, but it is still much slower than internal RAM.

If your computer is slow 'lately' and not from the beginning, then your problem is almost certainly a software problem and not a hardware one.

Do you do regular spyware/virus scans? Have you defragged lately? Do your hard drives have very little free space? Do you have a lot of startup programs or background processes?

All of these can contribute to a pc slowing down.
orcaz
phicha wrote:
eh are you sure that Vista can use External Memory like Flash disk as a Internal Memory ?? Very Happy

Cheers,

yea, Vista has a feature which can use flash disk as "RAM", but it requires the flash disk to haf at least 256mb free capacity i tink. But I think a proper physical memory would of course perform much better than these "virtual" memory provided by the flash disk, esp wif ur current specs, it isnt advisable to upgrade to vista.
qsmith
Feel the need to repeat Animal : USB is a LOT slower than RAM, you won't be speeding anything up. As a matter of fact, the RAM requirements for Vista is a lot more than that required by XP, and you will find a machine with 512 MB RAM unbearable. The better option may be to analyse what the RAM is being used for, and to turn off things that you don't need.

(uninstall unused software programs, stop unused windows services, check for startup programs, )

Just make sure you record what you are doing so you can undo it if you make a mistake. Google everything that you are unsure of. And make backups.
orcaz
qsmith wrote:
Feel the need to repeat Animal : As a matter of fact, the RAM requirements for Vista is a lot more than that required by XP, and you will find a machine with 512 MB RAM unbearable.

Not really, you can actually run Vista wif Aero turned on wif onli 512mb RAM and a 3ghz pentium 4 processor. i tried it b4, and there isn't much issues wif this specs on Vista.
djclue917
phicha wrote:
My computer using memory SD RAM 512 and P IV 1,6 GHZ, and it seem being so slow lately, but it;s support USB for using flashdisk,

is there a software to change the Flash Disk into Computer memory ? I meant like a Emulator for fasting my computer

Thank you ^_^

A USB flash drive is even way way slower than your hard disk. To think that a hard disk is already way way slower than RAM, you may be thinking overboard. Just buy another SDRAM DIMM instead of making your flash drive into an (un)usable/impractical computer memory. Just my two cents...