FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Inventors to race for millions in auto-efficiency prize

inphurno
Quote:
The man behind the aerospace Ansari X Prize, which helped propel the first ventures into the field of space tourism, is taking on fuel efficiency in cars.

Peter Diamandis, the founder and chief executive officer of the X Prize Foundation, is issuing a worldwide challenge for teams to come up with an efficient car model that can be mass produced. The prize will be officially launched later this year, and teams will have about a year and a half to build their vehicles before the first qualifying race in 2009.

"The Ford model T got 25 miles per gallon, and the cars today are getting 18 miles per gallon, and that's just wrong," Diamandis told CNN recently.

"Prizes are about encouraging the kind of behavior and ... breakthroughs that will change people's lives," Diamandis said. He added," Our belief here at the X Prize, is if we're able to set a clear set of rules and a large enough cash prize, we can literally reach across space and time, and solve any problem that exists."

That way of thinking has certainly worked for Diamandis, who after tackling space tourism, has looked to spur innovation in genetics, as well as fuel efficiency, through his X prizes. Diamandis established the prize in 1995. It is modeled after the Orteig Prize -- the $25,000 prize that helped inspire Charles Lindbergh fly across the Atlantic Ocean in 1927.

"When I originally came up with the idea for the X Prize, I was reading the spirit of St. Louis, the book written by Lindbergh in the mid-'50s," Diamandis said.

Thinking of his lifelong passion, space flight, Diamandis added, "I said, 'I need to come up with this prize.'"

Nine years later, the foundation awarded the $10 million Ansari X Prize to Mojave Aerospace Ventures for the flight of SpaceShipOne. Mojave Aerospace Ventures had built and launched a spacecraft capable of carrying three people to 100 kilometers above the earth's surface within two weeks.

For the automotive X prize, Diamandis says the foundation is looking for cars that can qualify in two categories: a traditional four-seat, four-wheel category, and a nontraditional category of at least two seats and at least three wheels. Other guidelines for the competition are being worked out, he said, although both cars will be required to exceed 100 miles per gallon, Diamandis said. "They may be powered by electricity, natural gas, by methane, by hydrogen. We don't know."

Diamandis has not yet announced the prize amount for competition, although the X Prize Foundation's Web site promises the cash takeaway will be in the multimillion dollar range.

Diamandis is optimistic about the results of the competition will be -- both the prize winner, and the affect on society.

"We want to change the paradigm of what people think they should and can drive today," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/29/psyk.diamandis/index.html?section=cnn_latest

while the x prize is best know for its spacecraft competition, this new competion wil help with earth's most pressing issue, climate change.
Moonspider
inphurno wrote:
while the x prize is best know for its spacecraft competition, this new competion wil help with earth's most pressing issue, climate change.

Seems kind of odd since there are already companies working on (and selling) vehicles that get better than 100 mpg or its equivalent.

That's like giving someone a prize for crossing the Atlantic after Lindbergh had already done it.

Respectfully,
M
ocalhoun
Moonspider wrote:

Seems kind of odd since there are already companies working on (and selling) vehicles that get better than 100 mpg or its equivalent.

But can they be mass produced? At competitive prices?
I haven't seen any such cars yet.
I've seen efficient cars that fall short of 100mpg (prius).
I've seen 100mpg+ cars that are very usable (tesla roadster), but can't be mass-produced cheaply. (Each tesla roadster sells for around $100,000 if I remember right.)
Moonspider
ocalhoun wrote:
Moonspider wrote:

But can they be mass produced? At competitive prices?
I haven't seen any such cars yet.
I've seen efficient cars that fall short of 100mpg (prius).
I've seen 100mpg+ cars that are very usable (tesla roadster), but can't be mass-produced cheaply. (Each tesla roadster sells for around $100,000 if I remember right.)

Yes, I was referring to Tesla motors. They are also building a new plant and planning a four-door model which will sell cheaper than the $98,000 roadster.

But even the roadster is mass produced and marketable. The first 100 sold out (pre-orders) in only a fortnight.

I look forward to seeing the actual rules for the prize.

R,
M
ocalhoun
Moonspider wrote:

But even the roadster is mass produced and marketable.

I thought I recalled reading that each one is hand-built by a company tesla motors outsourced to in Europe, which specializes in limited-production cars...
riyadh
i think this is a initiative. we really need efficient cars if we are to slow down global warming. yes we have discovered efficient fules like the fule cell but they r still way too expensive for mass production cars and it might be a few more years before it is cheap enough. till then...we have to keep searching for tht full which fulfill all our daily needs and at the same time stop the earth from dying
jwellsy
It looks like they facilities in
San Carlos, CA
Hethel, U.K.
and Rochester Hills, MI
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/employment.php
Moonspider
jwellsy wrote:
It looks like they facilities in
San Carlos, CA
Hethel, U.K.
and Rochester Hills, MI
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/employment.php

Yes, final assembly is done in the UK. Final assembly is sub-contracted to Lotus. Here are some quotes from the Tesla website:

Tesla website wrote:
What is your relationship with Lotus?

Lotus Cars is assembling the Tesla Roadster under contract to Tesla Motors. Tesla Motors has also hired Lotus Engineering for certain design and engineering tasks. The Tesla Roadster style was developed in Lotus Engineering's design studio - Lotus Engineering won a design contest where several design firms submitted proposals. Lotus Engineering supplied the initial chassis which was significantly modified by Tesla Motors engineers.

Why did you choose Lotus as a manufacturing partner?
Lotus is the acknowledged leader worldwide for efficient assembly of sports cars at modest volumes.

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/learn_more/faqs.php

Respectfully,
M
Moonspider
Here are the draft guidelines for the Automotive X-Prize if anyone is interested:

AXP Draft Guidelines

The production goal is only 10,000 vehicles per year. At such a modest volume that can be a fairly expensive car (and will be because of the low production). Thus I believe any entry by Tesla Motors would be viable. Both its roadster and future seadan would quailify in two separate categories.

I would not be surprised to see Wrightspeed enter into the competition either.

Respectfully,
M