FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"New School" VS "Old School"

Alamon
Sometimes, a writer relitively new on the scene will bring a breath of fresh air with them into their genre.

Other times, the more expirienced writer has more insight into how to phrase a sentence, or how best to describe something for his audience.

Think ... instead of me blathering on, please, share with me your opinions.

Thanx again.
missdixy
Well, both of those situations can eventually lead to a masterpiece. I definitely appreciate "old school" books, but am also fascinated by "new school" ones. Both have their plus sides. In the end, it doesn't really matter which method is used, what matters is the content of the book, and the quality of it.
TurtleShell
I'd like to know what books would be put in the "old school" category, and what's in the "new school".

Are you talking about the classic/canonical vs contemporary and experimental? What authors would you fit into these categories?
missdixy
TurtleShell wrote:
I'd like to know what books would be put in the "old school" category, and what's in the "new school".

Are you talking about the classic/canonical vs contemporary and experimental? What authors would you fit into these categories?

I think the definition is relative. It should be, at least.
TurtleShell
Like for example, David Foster Wallace vs Dickens? Both authors are exceptional with their use of language, both address their own contemporary issues (with some polite comentary), both masterful with plot lines and characterization...

Perhaps DFW is like Dickens if someone transported him to the 21st c and gave him hard core drugs. Not sure if there are any Wallace fans out there.

But I've heard that DFW is more comparabe to Thomas Pynchon. Perhaps that would be the old school.
twisthigh
Yeah I'm not sure what you mean, which author is considered Old School? Like the past?? Is that what it is.