FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strategy over strength?

Alamon
I love opinions, and I was wondering which someone would choose:

1# A game where you have to puzzle things through, and use your resources wisely.

or...

2# A game with straightforward action (maybe button-mash, maybe just fighter like Mortal Combat).

Please, post, and Explain Exclamation Thanx.
David_Pardy
This is a toughie for me, I enjoy both types of games to some extent.

Some games offer better gameplay, however. Some games tend to suck you in more than others, even if they use the same graphics engine (Blood was a lot more addictive than Duke Nukem 3d for example).

I think overall I would have to say the puzzle games, my only problem is that if I stop playing them for periods of time mid-game/campaign, I tend to not understand where I left off, so I have to start all over again. There are many games I have half-completed on numerous occasions Smile.

Whereas with a lot of action games, you can jump straight back into them even if you left off a long time ago.
dray101
bit of both Wink

but "straightforward action" how about non-straightforward action eg. any FPS, in most action games is not just shooting etc. but aiming, jumping dodging, running etc. and a combination of all these. Then even in most "straightforward action" games their is some strategy eg. picking what gun you use, when to use a grenade etc
Sharpe
I can enjoy both types of games.
Sometimes I just need something fastpaced and filled with action and sometimes i can spend a day on RPGs and puzzles in the game
Azmo
I do also enjoy both types of game, but what I play moste is puzzle games.. like RPG games where u kinda have to figure stuff out to be able to move on.. I've always liked to challange my mind and see what I can do and where I'm stuck.. Smile
PadraigCurran
I enjoy both types. I love bashing things up, though.
wabik90
I enjoy both types Very Happy It depends, sometimes I like to think a little Smile and like to play puzzle or logic(you know what I mean?) games, sometimes I like mass destruction, shoting ...
Geminh
Games that involves strategy and logic is my choice for sure. I'd still play those games where things are straightforward, but it gets boring for me pretty fast. I'm just the type of person who likes to complicate things and get myself challenged. Even when your playing shooting games like Resident Evil 4, your always trying to manage your weapons and its ammunition, because once your out of them, your basically screwed! So even small things such as that is why I prefer games that use strategy.
Pikokola
both, but I prefer the #1

Strategy things are better than a "straight forward" game in some points, like, You can't just being a lame ass kid whose click everything that makes you interested, or it can be a measurements between you and your friends in many ways or something like that - duh, now I'm confused...
eLto
As much of the others, I too prefer strategy over action. However, there are times when I just need some good ol' action, and need to play something like Far Cry online, or maybe even Counter Strike. Although CS is a rarity for me. I'd much rather be playing game like Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy, where you actually have to think before you act.

Example: Doom 3. Walk in door. Nearly jump out of your chair because the monster popped at you. Shoot monster. Repeat process. Not much thinking there, but brainlessly fun at times.
Example2: Tomb Raider. Walk in valley. See huge door. Think of a way to open it. Use several minutes to think it out. Execute it. A lot of thinking goes through it, and fo me, that's more satisfying than just shooting enemies at sight(although still funny at times).
Osmodius
eLto wrote:
Tomb Raider. Walk in valley. See huge door. Think of a way to open it. Use several minutes to think it out. Execute it. A lot of thinking goes through it, and fo me, that's more satisfying than just shooting enemies at sight(although still funny at times).

Several minutes? It's Tomb Raider, not Sudoku. I've yet to come across a game (console game, at least) that involved more strategy than a brainless 1999 shooter like Counter-Strike Wink
Kitten Kong
to create a proper balance one needs to exercise the muscles of themind as well as mash buttons to bit. FIGHT!
poly
Actually, I like both kinds of games.. depends in what mood I m in..