FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much do you charge for a web site? (not a request!)

Daisie
I looked up and down and I really couldnt decide where to post this so I do apologise if it's the wrong place but I figured out that designer might also be sellers so...

I started doing some wee web sites for my local group of writers, it soon snowballed and now I got 3 in the pipe line (which is a good selling tips for anyone starting, visite the locals groups!tons of them in the local paper:wink: ) anyway back to the story... I dont consider myself a pro but still a learner level, I dont do extremely fancy stuff, it's nice but basic...
And the dreaded question creeped up... "How much do you charge?"
I dont know what to say! Embarassed
I m scared to ask for too much or too little... (and I m dead shy too which dont arrange nothing...)
So my question is How much do YOU charge? How to you figure out what to ask for? do you charge for maintenance? how much?

thanks in advance for any input...
mathiaus
I don't do designing as such but any work I have dnoe (coding layouts, PHP scripting, maintenance etc) I've all done for an hourly charge of 10 (approx $20). This of course means I spend more time on the more complex items and get paid more for them (all logical right?).

It depends on the quality of your work really, and how you want to charge. A one off small fee for the template and a small maintenance fee or the other way or like me hourly doing anything.

Maybe if you provided an example of your work, someone could evaluate it for you Smile
Azmo
same, I charge for hour as well.. cause it's kinda hard to say exactly how long it will take, and how mch work it will be when u first hear the idea.. and some clients wants to ad on stuff all the time.. so $$/hour is imo the best way.. I charge about 40$ an hour for design and 50$ an hour for code..
Daisie
thank you for your imput, I think I charge a small fee for a template and another for update and maybe change tactic if and when I get bigger customers.
xxx
{name here}
Well, I do all my designs for free if I believe that donating a template to a project will be worth my time.
Azmo
{name here} wrote:
Well, I do all my designs for free if I believe that donating a template to a project will be worth my time.

I guess you don't do this for a living.. right? I can do it for free, and does sometimes for a friend.. but if I would all the time.. I wouldnt have anything to eat or money to pay my bills Very Happy
mjohnson
If charge for $frih,I think,similar to charge for free.
If for real money,it should be accoding to how many pages of the website.
DjinniFire
I'd say it depends on your talents and the job.

Making a web design and basically coding that design into a HTML format I'd go for between $100-$1000 depending on how clean and how nice you can make it. However, these are professional web designs. For most designers on the web $20-$200 is more reasonable for just a design with HTML coding. Reason for really high prices are because of uniqueness and how specified it is for the client.

With managing a website or coding I'd say roughly $10-$50 an hour is a good set price.

I've seen packaging of creating websites with full coding and management capabilities run up to $10,000 a job, such as jobs for high business companies.
{name here}
Azmo wrote:
{name here} wrote:

I guess you don't do this for a living.. right? I can do it for free, and does sometimes for a friend.. but if I would all the time.. I wouldnt have anything to eat or money to pay my bills Very Happy

Yep. I'm an ameteur. My designs probably wouldn't get anywhere in the corporate world, though I've seen designs for professional websites that do make me cringe.
Azmo
{name here} wrote:
Azmo wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Yep. I'm an ameteur. My designs probably wouldn't get anywhere in the corporate world, though I've seen designs for professional websites that do make me cringe.

yeah, same.. but a comon reason is this.. the company that wants a website calls the website company and says "we need an easy and clean site up asap, hurry"... they don't rly care what they get as long as it goes fast and don't cost much.. usually results in a crap page, cause the website company don't put that much effort in a fast and cheap site, usually just use a template and change some colors or something..

anyways, I charge for the design and code, how much code needed and what kind of code.. if it's just plain html and 5 pages, it's kinda cheap.. but when it includes more advanced xhtml/dhtml and php, the price goes up.. kinda obvious.. Smile
Daisie
It's true, it all depend on what you offer... I m still learning so I dont think I can ask for much but at later date, maybe!
Azmo
just keep working on it Smile one day you'll be a master!
BrookfieldPC
When I do web projects, I normally do $18 an hour, but it ultimately depends on the project. I created an internal website for a local non-profit organization and charged them a flat fee of $499 and then $16 an hour if my hours worked exceeded 25 hours. It all really depends.
GB
I started out doing design (web and print) for free. Now days, I charge $25/hr. for non-profit work and $35-40/hr. for commercial work.

I was wondering the same thing, but then went to CopyMax one day and saw the prices they charge for design. Usually around $100/hr.!!! My wife worked for CopyMax once and said the designers are not that great, and they only get paid $7/hr. Talk about markup!

So compared to the cost/benefit ratio of CopyMax, my customers get quite a bit.
Dragate
I'm not so proffessional at this, so I charge in one payment, with lots of disscussion with the other party as to how much they think I deserve on the basis of how much I work, and how it turns out too.

I heard when you get really really professional at this, websites go at 10's of thousands a piece. Like my friend's sister who lives in singapore who does this professionally for a career. You can't beat that.

My other friend who's done this a few times charges around 10-15 bux an hour because he's still a student (high school to be exact).

I don't charge much either, but some ppl who know their stuff will even require a down payment.

It really really depends on waht you do and what you want.

Some companies even require you to go and manage the site for a whiel too. That of course, requires extra money.

Good luck with your chargineg!!