FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Visual programming under Linux

umeshtangnu
Hello,

I have recently installed Ubuntu on my computer and I was wondering if there is a programming environment which enables visual coding (buttons, listboxes, etc ... drag n drop style) for Linux like Visual Studio does for Windows.

Thanks,
fromegame
Visual Basic programs only run on Windows, so I don't think it's smart to make programs on Linux, because you can't test your applications, and I doubt it if there are any Linux-Programs to make VB apps.
MrBlueSky
umeshtangnu wrote:
Hello,

I have recently installed Ubuntu on my computer and I was wondering if there is a programming environment which enables visual coding (buttons, listboxes, etc ... drag n drop style) for Linux like Visual Studio does for Windows.

Thanks,

Yes, there are lots of them. Which one you want to choose depends on what kind of projects you want to code and which language you want to choose.

Some examples are Kylix (from Borland, supports C++ and Object Pascal), Anjuta (C and C++ development for GNOME), MonoDevelop (which supports .NET, C# and is Microsoft Visual Studio compatible) and KDevelop (Java, C, C++, Pascal, PHP, Perl, etc. for KDE development).
Nyizsa
Also check glade for GTK and kommander for Qt!