FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to buy a Mac

733tv
Okay, i want to buy a used mac off eBay that will support OS-X and not too expensive either. Something less than $500 AUD. I'll still use my PC but i mainly want a mac so i can use iMovie and Final Cut Pro for my video editing. Lately I've been looking at a 700mhz iMac G4 but i'm not too sure how OS-X will work with it. Does anyone know what mac i should get?
teko
I think OS-X will work fine however the issue might be more with the apps you want to run. I would try posting on one of the mac forums and I think you´ll get a pretty good response there.

try www.macrumors.com
Handyman
I would recomend a mac mini. The ibook is very nice but the programs you discribed you will need some horse power to run smothly. You can get a c2d intel mac mini on ebay for 400-500. (just use auction sniper) google it!

I use imovie HD on a 1ghz imac with 1gb of ram and some times it runs really slow.

Then all you will need is a 2 port usb KVM switch so you can switch between the 2 computers and still use one monitor,mouse and keyboard.

Like this: KVM Switch
d_curry_09
A G4 iMac will run Mac OS X perfectly.

Mac OS X minimum requirement is a G3 running at least 300mhz though it has been proven that Mac OS X can run nicely on a even slower Apple Computer including 100Mhz G3s.

You may get away with running iMovie on a slower Apple, Final Cut Pro will stress it out. Any type of Movie editing is very hard on the computer so the faster you go the better. Though I would recommend at least 1ghz.
YellowShadow
A Mac MINI is the cheapest Mac. Ebay will probably have it cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-desktop-Mac-Mini-1-1-Intel-Core-Duo-512-RAM-1-5GH_W0QQitemZ290120003129QQihZ019QQcategoryZ114190QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Handyman
Quote:
A G4 iMac will run Mac OS X perfectly.

Of course it will run OS X just about any mac will. I also have a G3 500MHz dual-usb Ibook that I am typing on right now runing OS X 10.4.9.

A mac mini is the cheepest way to have a mac with the newest hardware.

The ibook is great for surfing the net and most software.

To get the most from video editing you will need faster hardware.

Keep in mind Leopard will be out in the fall and it requires a minimum of a g4 processor. Probably 1GHz or higher.
knightandre
733tv wrote:
Okay, i want to buy a used mac off eBay that will support OS-X and not too expensive either. Something less than $500 AUD. I'll still use my PC but i mainly want a mac so i can use iMovie and Final Cut Pro for my video editing. Lately I've been looking at a 700mhz iMac G4 but i'm not too sure how OS-X will work with it. Does anyone know what mac i should get?

I'd go with a PowerMac G4 - you'll get more bang for your buck.

The minis are nice, but have slow hard drives, built-in graphics, and expensive RAM.

PowerMacs, on the other hand, offer 2 full-size hard drive bays, 2 optical drives, expansion slots, and an upgradeable gfx card.

A dual-core G4 would be best, but may be out of your budget. A new graphics card will bring most any G4 up to speed.
Handyman
Quote:
The minis are nice, but have slow hard drives, built-in graphics, and expensive RAM

That is false.

The mini has a 5400rpm SATA HDD 3GB/sec and they use very common DDR2 5300 SDRAM very common and cheep ram these days.

The built in graphics are the same intel 950 graphics that most intel mobos use. It is more than sufficient to run all OS X programs.

The intel minis out perform almost all of the g4's hands down buy 2x.

The true value in mac hardware is the mac mini.

Takes up less space, less power consumption plus you get built in wifi and bluetooth
xbcd
yeah go with a G4 or a G5 tower (Powermac) and check out a site like craig's list since you will be able to find a local Vendor or person you can actually meet and ask some questions.
kiranaghor
mini is much better. I have iBook G3 and it is sad that i will not be able to install Leopard on it coz it requires G4 and above. Go dor intel mac. Its futureproof.
ammonkc
I would try to get an intel mac mini off craigs list or ebay. I'm thinking that final cut pro wont be very smooth on an iBook. It would be very possible to find a core duo mini in you budget.
Alaskacameradude
Actually a 5400 drive IS slow ....too slow for doing video editing with. You want a 7200 RPM drive for capturing video. That being said, you also want a totally separate drive for your video and DON'T want to use the system drive to capture video too. With a tower you can add a second internal drive, with a mini or a laptop you need to use external drives. I am using a 1.5ghz G4 powerbook. It's a bit old but it runs FCP (I don't have version 6 yet) just fine, and I use external drives for video.

Things to think about:

All new stuff is intel....probably best to get one of those if you can afford to. They have up to EIGHT processors in the towers and even the laptops are dual processor.

If you want to run Motion you will want a good graphics card with AT LEAST 128mgs video memory and maybe the 256mg card.

A tower is best as you can add components better.

If you want to move up into HD video then you want the fastest machine you can afford.

If you do go for a laptop, you want to add a second firewire bus for DV editing, buy a PC card firewire card. I know the powerbooks and Macbooks have more than one firewire port, BUT they all share the same bus. By adding a card, you will get a second bus. If you don't do this, and try to use a external harddrive and deck on the same firewire bus, you will often drop frames.

If you are just going the cheap route and buy and older machine, because you can't afford a newer one, maybe best to get an older version of FCP so the machine can run it nicely. If you do this, I'd recommend FCP 4.5....it's pretty much as good as the new one, just doesn't have the multi cam thing and a couple other little things, but it is a big upgrade over version 3 and version 5 isn't much better than 4.5 Version 6 may be, but I haven't seen that one yet.

Any other questions just ask!