FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is RAID?

darkmetal123
What is RAID? Can anyone please explain?
I don't know much but I have some idea. I think it has something to do with hard disks.
So please explain and also tell how to use this technology.
psycosquirrel
RAID (Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Drives/Disks)

It was originally introduced for redundancy to help keep data safe in case of failure, and also to make use of older disks (hence the inexpensive and disks slashes) that have limited capacity useful again.

To implement RAID, you first need to determine what is best. Most people will use a RAID0 array, a RAID1 array, a RAID0+1 array, or (most commonly) a RAID5 array. Wikipedia is quite helpful for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Implementation of RAID will vary with your controller and type of array. Most users will not need RAID, and it is probably not something you should worry about if you have to ask what it is...
nilsmo
I have RAID 0 (two 300GB hard drives). You need a motherboard that supports RAID. I just needed to do was put in SATA cables into my motherboard's SATA RAID 0 ports.

RAID 1 means you have two hard drives that are copies of themselves. This is useful to keep data from disappearing. However, you'll get half of the capacity you would have if you used RAID 0.

RAID 0 (striped HD's) means you can have two hard drives acting as one hard drive with twice the capacity. I believe the two hard drives need to be the same type.
darkmetal123
Thanks. I guess that means RAID1 is for data backup while RAID0 for better hard drive performance.
psycosquirrel
Exactly. But with RAID0, if one drive fails, you lose all the data from both drives. The ideal compromise would be to run RAID5, which would increase performance and provide redundancy. RAID5 only requires 3 drives, instead of the 4 required for 0+1, which would be best if you can afford it.
Jaan
I've run on RAID0 for 5 years successfully from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista, with no failures. The speed is very fast, and again, no failures, so I can't see why I would need 4 drives.
Bones
Jaan wrote:
I've run on RAID0 for 5 years successfully from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista, with no failures. The speed is very fast, and again, no failures, so I can't see why I would need 4 drives.

Read his post again, he said RAID 0+1 not RAID 0.
0+1 is striped and mirrored. 2 striped drives and 2 for the mirror.

The point he was trying to make is that say you have 2 - 500G drives in a striped array. One of them dies. If that array isn't mirrored, then you just lost up to 1TB worth of data, as you lose the entire array, not just the drive that fails.

You have been running it for 5 years on the same drives? I hope you have backups, because hard drives are like any other mechanical device. It's not a matter of 'if' it fails, but 'when' it fails.
erlendhg
psycosquirrel wrote:
RAID (Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Drives/Disks)

I knowed what RAID was, but I always wondered what it stood for Razz
Now I know Smile
Thanks.
internetjobs
raid gives good speed and also fault tolerance
internetjobs
if you want to know more about this... give reply