FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Generation PC

darkmetal123
Can anyone guide me about the specifications of a moderate new generation pc that can run Windows Vista 64-bit just fine.
Also, I would appreciate if someone can suggest what PC to buy to play the present and upcoming high quality games Very Happy
Handyman
I would recomend building your own. It is pretty easy to do and you won't be locked when it is time for an upgrade.

You will get far better quality and probably save some money in the process.

To run vista 64 you will need a 64 bit processor core a crap load of ram and a decent video card.
myrevolt
I'm actually looking into the same topic right now. I plan to spend about $3K on a new computer; this nearly 7 year old computer is just not doing it for me anymore. Not enough RAM and I'd like to trade in this integrated 3d-emulated POS gpu for a shiny new ATI/AMD or Nvidia card (as well as new components all around) so that maybe just maybe I can play the games that I've been eyeing over the years and be able to finally play Battlefield, Half life 2 and maybe just maybe Crysis when its released. Any suggestions are encouraged Laughing I think I'm good as far as my hdd and dvd burner goes but everything else will be new. Thing about the graphics card is that I've skipped an entire generation of cards, PCI used to be the way to go, then AGP (what I refer to) became king (I don't even have an AGP port on my mobo; I checked and found out that AGP cards came out the same year I bought this PC) and now PCI express reigns supreme, so with that said I'm a little over my head with all this talk about directx10 game compatibility. I'm checking around Tom's Hardware but anyone that can lay this nonsense out would gain my gratitude and thanks.

Oh and sorry to darkmetal123 for taking over your topic but hopefully someone will have answers for at least one of us Confused
davo
its your lucky day i have an answer that should solve both of your problems Smile

to question 1: i would find a reliable pc seller and have them customize it with your own stuff. i would recomend a dual core 3.6 gh one with at least 2.5 gigs of ram and a 500 gig hd. a decent graphics card would be an ati raedon 128 mb one but if your willing to spend alot on this i would recomend a nividea g force 786 meg graphics card ( great for playing most games on) and that would be the ultimater pc... and you should probably have dual dvd burners so you can cross burn things to save time.

Question 2: i would reccomend the same basic hardware layout as question number one because that would be one heck of a pc to play games on. if your willing to go all out ( which i bet you are) i would recomend maybe a one terabyte hard drive and the nividea g force graphics card with 2.5 gigs of ram. I can guarantee that this layout i have recomned for you will be great for all opperating systems and if your computer literate maybe run a few virtual machines with different operating systems on there.

if you both need any more information feel free to contact me at anarchy_rising@hotmail.com ^.^
Jaan
i don't think hard drive size is relevant, anything over 100gb should be fine?
For extra storage check out the Drobo from data robotics.

for specs, go to some overclocking forums and they should be able to help you out. and if you need it now, then core 2 duos are in for a big price drop by the end of the summer so just wait for it. and 4gb of ddr2/ddr3 if you can afford ddr3. and graphics, one of the pricier nvidia ones will do fine, juxst make sure its for gaming not graphics.
motherboard i have no clue.

but a better solution than to ask at this forum would be to find an overclocking forum, cause people there know alot more about this sorta stuff (as you can see).

cheers.
davo
wait... s that guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ calling us all dumb? cuase i think alot of the people that post here arnt that dumb... like me i dont think there is any 14 yr old on this forum that knows more about computers than me. if so step up Smile
asianwannabe999
Judging from your grammar, I'd say you may be very lazy or somewhat idiotic, and I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Clarifying Davo's wonderfully written suggestions:

Quote:
a dual core 3.6 gh one with at least 2.5 gigs of ram and a 500 gig hd. a decent graphics card would be an ati raedon 128 mb one but if your willing to spend alot on this i would recomend a nividea g force 786 meg graphics card ( great for playing most games on) and that would be the ultimater pc...

A dual core 3.6 gh one... What is that supposed to mean? I would suggest an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, which is 475 bucks. There are a couple other intels that you could get as well at around this price. Here's a decent price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
Why davo is suggesting 2.5 gigs of ram is beyond me. Stick with a 32bit os for now which means go to the max which is getting 2 sticks of 2gb ram or 4 sticks of 1 gb ram. Make sure to go with ddr2 or better. On a 32bit machine you can only get 3.5 gb of ram total, but you've got money to burn so what I suggested should be fine.
Quote:
a decent graphics card would be an ati raedon 128 mb.
What? First of all, don't get an ATI card. Second, get an nVidia GeForce 8800GTX for around $550. Here's a decent one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150205

Quote:
and if your computer literate maybe run a few virtual machines with different operating systems on there.
This makes no sense. No one on this thread even asked for different OS's. While I'm on this note, you don't even need to do virtual machining for anything usually. You can easily quadruple boot xp/vista/linux/os x on a pc anyway. Virtual machines are slow.

This machine will easily be under 3k. Get a nice motherboard and some decent peripherals.

Davo = N00b
davo
hmm thanks for crushing my spirits mate i didnt need that ego anyways.

BTW what wud be a good dual boot program?
Talk2Tom11
My suggestion for the new generation PC would be to make sure you aren't nearing your limitations. for example, with a 32-bit OS you are limited to 4GB of ram. But with a 64-bit OS the limitation is 8GB. 4GB is almost common today. So people are eventually going to have to move to 64-bit. Just a thought.