FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems with my 6600 GT - 100Frih$ for solution

Scorpio
Hi,

I recently installed a 6600 nvidia Geforce 256 mb Agp card in my system. I found that after switching on and using my system for a while, I get a blue screen with the following contents

Quote:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal.

smwdm.sys beginning dump of physical memory

[x000900] <- something of that sort

dumping physical memory to disk [some increasing numbers
]

Also there appears a number after the dumping physical memory to disk which increases every few seconds.
The computer does not automatically switch off as well.
What could be the problem?
I have the latest drivers for nvidia.

My config:

PIV 3 Ghz HT
1.5 Gb RAM
80 GB ATA Seagate HDD
1 DVD Writer and 1 DVD reader
400W SMPS
Usual samsung 15" CRT monitor

6600's temperature is around 60 degree celsius usually. The blue screen appears when the system has been left switched on for some time.
There was nothing I did at the time the screen appeared.

What could be the problems?

Please do help me with this..
I'll be really thankful:)
eznet
Don't you just love the blue screens of windows!? So helpful in telling you what the heck the error actually MEANS.

First, get the generic out of the way; when installing this video card, were you upgrading from an on-board video card? If so, did you disable the on-board video in the bios? If not, this can definitely cause conflicts and problems.

So, a little research and it would appear that your 'smwdm.sys' is part of the sound system drivers; SoundMax Digital Audio Driver to be specific. Can you verify that you are in fact using SoundMax?

As a test to see if there is (what appears to be) an IRQ conflict (of sorts) between your new video and audio, I would attempt to disable the audio (in the Bios if an option - should be as SoundMax are usually onboard. If not an option in Bios then do it in windows). Try running for a bit without audio ( I know, irritating) and see if you continue to get the error.

Here is a link to MS' solution - lot of help!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293077
Scorpio
eznet wrote:
Don't you just love the blue screens of windows!? So helpful in telling you what the heck the error actually MEANS.

First, get the generic out of the way; when installing this video card, were you upgrading from an on-board video card? If so, did you disable the on-board video in the bios? If not, this can definitely cause conflicts and problems.

So, a little research and it would appear that your 'smwdm.sys' is part of the sound system drivers; SoundMax Digital Audio Driver to be specific. Can you verify that you are in fact using SoundMax?

As a test to see if there is (what appears to be) an IRQ conflict (of sorts) between your new video and audio, I would attempt to disable the audio (in the Bios if an option - should be as SoundMax are usually onboard. If not an option in Bios then do it in windows). Try running for a bit without audio ( I know, irritating) and see if you continue to get the error.

Here is a link to MS' solution - lot of help!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293077

Thank you for your reply.
There was an on board video card 32mb. The mobo is a Intel Original D865. I do have Sound Max

But I am not upgrading from an onboard card. I am upgrading from an earlier 64 Mb nividia Geforce MX video card.

I ll try out the sound disabling and give an update.

Also, I recently added 2 512 mb RAMs 400Mhz in addition to my earlier 2x256mb 400 mhz RAMs. All are DDRs

Could this be a cause of any problem?
sush
If you want to do some serious (time consuming and inefficient but probably successful) problem solving...

... check each RAM stick. power on with one stick at a time and see if you get your usual symptom.

... check your vga on another computer.

... check another vga on your computer.

Such are the things I do out of frustration.
Donutey
Change in BIOS from the normal "Quick check POST" to the longer check (the BIOS will check your memory and other hardware more closely than normal) and see if anything comes up.
Scorpio
As eznet said earlier, the smwdm.sys is the driver for soundmax. Also, I removed the RAM sticks I added as well.

I did get the problem once again, but this was after playing a game called Top Spin. The problem came around 1 hr of playing.

The problem did not however arise when I played a different game

Also the problem does not arise when I simply keep the computer switched on for long periods of time, only when I play the game.
surf76
This problem can be caused by:

1. A damaged Virtual Memory Manager Page file.

2. A faulty RAM (memory) module.

3. A RAM module that is NOT compatible with the computers chip set.

To resolve this issue, check your computer documentation or contact the computer manufacturer:

Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K
Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P
Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z

If the RAM is OK or changing it does NOT fix the problem:

01. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

02. Select the Advanced tab.

03. Press the Settings button under Performance.

04. Select the Advanced tab.

05. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

06. Select No paging file and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

07. Press OK, OK, and OK.

08. Shutdown and restart your computer.

09. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

10. Select the Advanced tab.

11. Press the Settings button under Performance.

12. Select the Advanced tab.

13. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

14. Select System Managed size and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

15. Press OK, OK, and OK.

16. Shutdown and restart your computer.

Let me know how you go.
DecayClan
Also make sure that the ram is 100% ok, check it with a program like memtest (http://www.memtest86.com )before booting...
kizarop
That could be bad sector where page file is placed on disk, examine your disk . If you will find bad sector, don't worry, not every sector marked by system as "bad is really "bad" - make backup of your important data, delete partition where this bad sector is placed, create new partition again, do some bad sector tests (i think "chkdsk [disk]: /f /r" is enough)
Bones
That error is almost certainly driver related, but can also be related to bad ram. The error usually pops up when two drivers try to use the same IRQ or the same memory space at the same time. Reinstall both sound and video drivers as well as make sure that the BIOS is set for a plug and play aware OS so that Windows is assigning the IRQ values and not the BIOS.

Also, did you disable the onboard video yet? You can do it in BIOS which is the best option, or from device manager in Windows if you have to.
Med365
Hi,

You should uninstall the previous card's driver, using "Add/Remove programs" or the Peripherics manager if the driver is not in add/remove programs. Then disable the onboard card via the BIOS.
Jaan
It could be overheating, did you tell us about your fans/cooling system?

When I install new hardware, I usually do a reinstall of my system. Never had a problem.
kizarop
I've got now similar problem and it is related to realtek audio ac97 drivers version 4.00 for windows xp 64 bit. There's a problem with alcwdm64.sys ,after its failure I must turn off computer because codec is locked and operating system is not responding while the drivers are loading. I installed older version 3.99 and its working fine for now.
Med365
Scorpio didn't tell us he had XP 64 bits... do you have a 64 bits XP edition ?
davo
hello,

my first suggestion would be to check your ram to see if thats the case. if its all fine you could create a batch code and start your computer with the floppy disk inserted and that on a floppy disk. if that doesnt work you could try and reload it with just one stick of ram and have it work back up all your files on an external hd or data cd/dvd then re install windows and then load all the files you need ( e.g. importand documents tax files ect. then i would activate your copy of windows normally and that should work. if you need anymore help contact me on anarchy_rising@hotmail.com and ill try help you more on there ^.^
Med365
I think it's a dangerous solution that have to be used as the LAST solution to solve the problem.

Scorpio should uninstall the previous card drivers using windows in VGA mode and the install the last nVidia Official ForceWars that fits his windows version.
bulek
Here you have:
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73022

You should also post whole error message, because every symbol is very important for resolving those kind of errors.