FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Tea an Acquired Taste?

Drawingguy
I mean, for the past month I've been trying to drink green tea. I bought decaffeinated, just because I hate caffeine, but I don't think that's making a big deal. It's just that to me, tea just isn't tasty. I didn't expect it to be delicious, but it's just...not good. Therefore, I would hope that after a while, you acquire the taste, but I wasn't sure. If you want to share, go ahead.
djcaution
However much milk + sugar you put in coffee - put exactly as much in your cup of tea just like it was coffee. Dont do it with green tea though get earl grey. Or orange pekoe's not bad. And DONT get crappy cheap tea it's gross and tea is literally dirt cheap as it is so pay the what, $4 on a box of teabags of the best stuff on the shelf. I have tea all the time to help stay awake and upitty at my job cuz I work with computers at a call center & when I use coffee as a fuel I get all jittery. I find tea has the same caffeinne with almost none of the jitteryness Smile
brilliantbeauty
Ugh, yeah, we're asian, so green tea is like my moms life blood. We get really good stuff, straight from Chinaand the lot, but I've never really liked it that much. But I couldn't even abide it before, but now, I can at least drink a cup, and it might even be getting tasty. (mind you, I ahve a cup like once every two-three months) So I would say, yeah, it is kind of an acquired taste.
gh0stface
I guess in a sense tea is an acquired taste like beer. Me being Asian as well, when I was younger and at Chinese restaurants, I didn't really like drinking any type of tea. Unless it had a lot of sugar.

Now that I'm older and uh "wiser", drinking tea with Chinese food or through out dim sum is pretty good.

Although I never really bought tea packages, I have drank the tea that has already been made. Such as Arizona's Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey which I find is pretty decent.
Sadow
Well, tea is something you should get used to I guess. A lot of people use sugar in tea to make it more tasty. What I do is I don't make my tea very strong, I only give the hot water a bit of a flavor and that's how I like it very much. Sugar takes away the taste actually.

With coffee I had more problems with getting used to drinking it without sugar. I think it took me 3 months before I start liking it.
DjinniFire
It depends on the person, the first time I had green tea I loved it! But for many of my other friends it would be an acquired takes that takes a few drinks to start liking it. I have one friend though who detests green tea, he's tried green tea every time it is offered and every time he feels like he needs a glass of water to wash away the taste.

I think the reason I like green tea is because I like almost all tea. But don't drink something if you don't like just because somebody said it is healthy for you.
RubySlasher
The problem is that many don't know how long to steep the tea bag to get the strength they like.
Some teas, however, just taste nasty no matter what. Like I tried one that tasted like old, bitter wood and another which tasted like a gross, artificial vanilla candle melded with old lady perfume.
filet
is it in a bag or leaves?leave it on in hot water for few quick seconds for light flavour...or tried other flavour tea-like cranberry or orange lavender or rosemary ... if i got bored of drinking just plain tea, i either add sugar or mix with full cream milk(just make sure the tea flavour quite strong) and then you
pour the tea with full milk cream to another cup/glass. one in higher position and do for few times...so you'll get tea+milk with foam on top(just like latte)
djcaution
Quote:
add sugar or mix with full cream milk(just make sure the tea flavour quite strong) and then you
pour the tea with full milk cream to another cup/glass. one in higher position and do for few times...so you'll get tea+milk with foam on top(just like latte)

whoa...k...what?
poly
I guess it just depends on one's individual taste, but you can definitely get used to it if you feel like having to drink green tea.
Drawingguy
Wait, RubySlasher brought up the topic as to how long the tea bag should remain in the hot water. Is there a definitive answer to this, or does it vary from brand to brand?
filet
djcaution wrote:
Quote:
add sugar or mix with full cream milk(just make sure the tea flavour quite strong) and then you

whoa...k...what?

what i meant is ,. pour from one cup to the other cup and repeat by changing cup 2 position to cup 1 position and vice versa. the tea is mix of strong tea flavour where the tea bag remain in the hot water for more than 1 minute (very dark color) then add sugar and full cream milk...taste very nice.

Khurram
wel i use grean tea
here are some reason why Green should start

Green Tea Helps to Reduce the cancer
it help prevent diseased and stroke by lowering the level of cholstrol
it contains antioxidant known as polyphenols which fight against free radicals
Green tea helps with your body weight loss
Antioxidant in green tea protects the skin from the harmful effects of free radicals, which cause wrinkling and skin aging.
Green tea also helps fight against skin cancer.
it can help prevent and reduce the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
The very key to this is high fluoride content found in green tea.
It helps keep your bones strong.
Drinking green tea helps keep your blood pressure down by repressing angiotensin, which leads to high blood pressure.
Catechin found in green tea can kill bacteria which causes food poisoning and kills the toxins produced by those bacteria.
Scientists in Japan have found that EGCG (Epigallocatechin Gallate) in green tea can stop HIV from binding to healthy immune cells.
What this means is that green tea can help stop the HIV virus from spreading

so you can say green tea protect the our body
wel i know its not delicuos but i can make it. Smile

take care All of you
Lampton
Yeah..I guess it depends on the individual, but it also might depend on the brand or how you brew it.

Personally, I love green tea, especially the loose leaf kinds, because a good brand can taste a lot different than the generic green tea in bags. They start out bitter, but they also give out this rather...sweet after taste. As for the bag, they just taste like...whatever they taste like, and it can be rather lame.

However, I still love them all. At least drinking tea has been keeping me healthy.
missdixy
When I started drinking green tea and even iced tea I definitely had to force myself. I would put a lot of sugar and lemon in them (and sometimes honey in the green tea) and eventually sort of just got used to the taste. Now I can drink them both with a little less sugar and I'll be okay.
dbhai
tea has such an arrogant taste i love it very much
russel26
yes.. but not always drink tea.. it becomes to have pain like ulcers...
Satori
I do believe tea is an acquired taste. But the good news is that there are TONS of different varieties of tea, so I bet even the pickiest of people could find at least some tea that they like. I personally am not a big fan of green tea, but I do enjoy a number of herbal teas. I am very fond of most of Traditional Medicinals teas. They make a whole slew of herbal teas that are formulated to have different beneficial health effects. There are some for digestion, some for respiratory health, some for boosting the immune system, etc. But a lot of them taste great in addition to being healthy. Consider checking them out if you can't warm up to green tea.

Drawingguy wrote:
Wait, RubySlasher brought up the topic as to how long the tea bag should remain in the hot water. Is there a definitive answer to this, or does it vary from brand to brand?

This is a good question. Steep time mainly depends on the type of tea, and less on the brand (different brands can have the same ingredients.) Green tea should steep for about 3 minutes or so...and also should not be steeped in boiling water. Rather, water that has cooled slightly from boiling should be used with green tea. A good rule of thumb would be to allow the water to sit for a minute or two after bringing it to a boil before pouring it over your tea bag.

Most kinds of tea will usually print the steep time on the box somewhere. Most of the herbal teas I was telling you about should have a longer steep time...more like 15 minutes or so. This allows more of the active compounds to be extracted from the plant material, providing for a more effective (and flavorful) tea. But one thing is for sure...steep time most certainly effects the flavor of the tea, and in some cases, the potency of the beneficial effects.
driftingfe3s
You should try some different type of teas not just green tea. They all have diffrent tastes and maybe there are other teas that you will enjoy.

I also use to hate tea, and never really drank the stuff. I guess as I got older I leaned to like it. Now I love the stuff and I try to find many diffrent types and mixes of teas to drink. I even enjoy green tea ice cream now, which is something I hated when I was younger.
ptolomeo
I recommend you to put sugar to your tea, i have to do this to feel some taste on it, otherwise i can not drink it. Another recommendation is to add some lemon drops on it, that will make the flavour more intense.
crystalami
I don't put anything in my tea, I love pure green tea! Excellent taste, Wink !
Vlien
I bought myself a small package about half a year ago and I still haven't used much of it. I just don't like it, have to add tons of honey before I can drink it and find it a little tasty.
It should be very good for your skin, although you'd have to drink a couple of liters a day before it has any effect...
tony
i think it could be for some. but i have liked it all the time. Smile
poly
I don't like it either so I don't know.. But I love coffee;)
TBSC
Herb teas are pretty good, like celestial seasonings. They are mild and have fruity/floral tastes. Also tai chi from starbucks is great. It has lots of spices and milk and sugar though.

I dont really like earl grey. Green tea is ok, but the celestial seasonings are the best without any sweetener.
mimsxmassacre
i hate tea

but i rarely drink it

can you think of any flavors i might like??
i'm up for anything
scrub
I've never really *liked* tea...though I'll drink it from time to time if someone puts it in front of me! My partner has started foraging foods and drying them to save to make our own tea, so I'm starting to sample some of those. She's especially focused on making medicinal teas to use in different situations as needed.

Maybe sugar or cream or whatever would help me enjoy tea more, but I think sugar and dairy harm my body so depending on them seems to defeat the purpose of drinking tea for health!

Scrub
TBSC
mimsxmassacre wrote:
i hate tea

but i rarely drink it

can you think of any flavors i might like??
i'm up for anything

Not if you hate tea, no. But peach celestial seasonings tea sure is good. Spearmint tea is good also.
Nancy43
I am a tea lover for a long time. It is an acquired taste, I believe. Honey in green tea is awesome . There are so many different kinds of tea, so you could always try a different one. I guess my favorite would be orange blossom, it was delicious, but now that spring is here we will all be drinking less of it.
Srs2388
I'm sure you can make yourself like it by adding a little sugar to it =]
I have tried it and i didn't like it I added some sugar to it and I liked it alot more but i still didn't just love it.
Ever tried white tea and green tea mixed?
I tried that (with sugar) and it was good.