FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Great, Free, programming softwares from Microsoft.

Mannix
Microsoft is giving away free versions of their programming interfaces. ...They don't have quite the same punch as the commercial versions, but hey, they're free.

...Check it out at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/downloads/

I've used Visual C++ 6.0 in the past, and I'm installing Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition to see how it compares. ...I don't know what the shortcomings will be, but I'm hoping it's free for small projects with plenty of functionality. ...Time will tell though.

Good luck.
SonLight
I definitely recommend installing the express editions. The biggest weakness I have come across is that they don't have the VB6 to VB.net converter, and that is usually the first thing a VB6 programmer looking to upgrade wants. Of course, this is subject to change, so if anyone knows of express editions with the VB6 converter, please say so.

In reality, it may not be too much of a loss. The converter is helpful if you really have to get a VB6 program running, but if you are primarily looking to upgrade your skills, you would be wise to spend time on simple new code and learn the .net way of doing things.

The converter is really quite limited in what it will do for you, and because of serious language compatability issues you will probably have to rewrite much of the old code anyway. Used without understanding the issues, the converter could lead you down a rabbit trail and actually increase the time to get the program converted.
Tyler`
I have always found using your own small programs to be usful just like for Java I use notpad which seems to work best for me. I don't know why it just seems a lot less of a hassle to start it up and all. Also I will try out the link. Thanks :p