FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Buying RAM

deemon
Hello guys. I am considering to buy some extra RAM for my PC.
Currently I have a 512 MB chip. I would like to upgrade to 2 GB.

My motherboard has four RAM slots. There are two options that I must consider.
1: Install four 512 MB chips
2: Install two 1 GB chips ( selling out the original 512 MB chip )

Just suppose that financially both the options are equal. Which option is better performance wise? I have heard that if I install four 512 MB chips then every chip would have a separate bus and thus increase performance. But if I install two 1 GB chips that would increase the memory in one slot.

Please guide me which option to go for.
Mannix
4 512's if you don't plan to expand beyond 2 GB personally. ...Save the money. I doubt any possible performance changes would warrant even that price difference.
billgertz
buy 2 1Gb if I were you. its better that way if you plan to upgrade it to 4 GB. also consider the BUS speed of the chip if it is compatible to your motherboard.
RiCtee
deemon wrote:
I have heard that if I install four 512 MB chips then every chip would have a separate bus and thus increase performance. But if I install two 1 GB chips that would increase the memory in one slot.

It is true, but the performance increase would be minimal, and you can't possibly notice it. Go with the two 1GBs so if you might need to upgrade in the near future, but it's quite unlikely to have more than 2Gb of RAM presently.
Bones
If you are using a 32 bit operating system, upgrading RAM beyond 2G is a waste of time anyway. The most memory that a 32 bit OS can see is just over 3G (3.2 I think?) but this includes all memory such as Video ram.

So if you plan to go over 2G in the future, plan for 64bit hardware and a 64 bit OS as well.
dz9c
i'd go with the 4 512s because like its already been said ur not gonna upgrade to 4gb or 3gb of memory. by that time if the standard is 4gb, im sure u will have already discarded this computer fore a newer one
rajhank
Yeah, I wud also tell u to go for

4 512 MB Ram

That gud both performance wise and cost wise.