FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lightscribe Drive

Tony The Tiger
In February, I bought a Hewlett Packard DV9000T laptop computer with a Lightscribe CD/DVD drive. I have produced a video CD and use this technology to label the discs with a .jpg image. I have had some discs come out streaked so that there is a ring or a few rings on the image. I am wondering if there is a way for this to happen if the laptop is perfectly still that can be avoided. I.E., how can I increase my yield of good discs by reducing the number of badly printed ones.
asianwannabe999
Sometimes downloading the lates drivers for lightscribe drives seems to fix a lot of issues with it. For example, last year I was having very slow lightscribe speeds as well as an issue with the printing being too light and not visible. However, I updated to new drivers and lo and behold, my issues disappeared. Try that first before thinking it might be a hardware issue.
Tony The Tiger
asianwannabe999 wrote:
Sometimes downloading the lates drivers for lightscribe drives seems to fix a lot of issues with it. For example, last year I was having very slow lightscribe speeds as well as an issue with the printing being too light and not visible. However, I updated to new drivers and lo and behold, my issues disappeared. Try that first before thinking it might be a hardware issue.

I have autoupdate for Hewlett Packard software that seems to ask permission at least once or twice a month to update software. Do I need to do somethings special to update lightscribe software. I.E., is this likely part of the Hewlett Packard software bundle or is there separate lightscribe software? What website did you download the latest software from? Was it a Hewlett Packard website or a Lightscribe website?
psycosquirrel
Look up your specific drive and see if there is an updated firmware.

Lightscribe is a new and obscure technology. Expect it to fail some.
asianwannabe999
I simply went to the lightscribe site and looked up my drive serial number. It was very easy to follow. I'm sure you won't have a problem following the site.
ssthanapati
U use lightscribe Surprised I never even found a lightscribe disk in my area Evil or Very Mad
Tony The Tiger
asianwannabe999 wrote:
I simply went to the lightscribe site and looked up my drive serial number. It was very easy to follow. I'm sure you won't have a problem following the site.

I went to http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx and was not sure what I was looking for.
johnsonap
Get a printer that prints on CD's....lol
OK, probably not the answer you wanted, but i have both at work, lightscribe DVD drive and a Epson Photo CD printer, not only is printing via printer better quality, but also its quicker, and printable CDs / DVDs are cheaper than lightscribe.
The only advantage of ligthscribe is you don't have to wait 2 minutes for the ink to dry, but seriously, £50 for a epson photo quality printer with CD printable capability is certainly the way forward in my eyes Cool
psycosquirrel
In the long run, you will probably save money with a CD printer too. Think about how much more lightscribe discs cost over normal media...
Tony The Tiger
johnsonap wrote:
Get a printer that prints on CD's....lol
OK, probably not the answer you wanted, but i have both at work, lightscribe DVD drive and a Epson Photo CD printer, not only is printing via printer better quality, but also its quicker, and printable CDs / DVDs are cheaper than lightscribe.
The only advantage of ligthscribe is you don't have to wait 2 minutes for the ink to dry, but seriously, £50 for a epson photo quality printer with CD printable capability is certainly the way forward in my eyes Cool

The advantage of a lightscribe is that I can print while I am on the road or when my printer is out of order like it is at the moment. I can print wherever I go without taking a printer with me.
THE11thROCK™
ssthanapati wrote:
U use lightscribe Surprised I never even found a lightscribe disk in my area Evil or Very Mad

Same Here.
pll
I also have a computer (compaq presario sr2170nx with windows vista) with Lightscribe technology! I have it since 4-5 months. But I have no idea how to use this technology. I would like to have more information about this.

-Do I need special CDs to print on ?
-Which softwares do I need to use ?
-Will it take a long time ?
-Can I use ANY .jpg images to print on the CDs ?
-How do I return to disc in the driver to print on ?
Tony The Tiger
pll wrote:
I also have a computer (compaq presario sr2170nx with windows vista) with Lightscribe technology! I have it since 4-5 months. But I have no idea how to use this technology. I would like to have more information about this.

-Do I need special CDs to print on ?
-Which softwares do I need to use ?
-Will it take a long time ?
-Can I use ANY .jpg images to print on the CDs ?
-How do I return to disc in the driver to print on ?

Do you have a disk labelling software package installed on your computer? EVerything should be easy with the right software.
pll
No, I don't. Can you send me some links so I can download one of them ?
Tony The Tiger
pll wrote:
No, I don't. Can you send me some links so I can download one of them ?

My software came with my laptop. I do not know about free downloadable software.