FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is a friend?

QrafTee
Can someone define a friend to me?

Like what they are?

What they look like?

What do they do?

What don't they do?

Why they do the things they do?

Anything about friends. Right now... things are blurry and I don't know what a "friend" is.
CrimsonStrange
Well, I guess a very simple definition of a friend would be somebody who sticks with you through all of your good & bad times.

They don't abandon you when things get complicated.

A friend tells you like it is, even if it's not what you wanna hear.

They take the time.
They make the effort.
They do their best to protect you from others, as well as from yourself.
A friend will help & support you through anything.

A friend is proud of you for the things you have accomplished, as well as the goals you're striving to obtain.

Material wealth (or lack of it) does not change the loyalty of a true friend.
If it's important to you, then your friend will understand that, whether they see any importance or not.

They don't expect more of you than you are capable of giving.
Their opinion of you doesn't change with your interests, relationships, hobbies or ideologies.

A friend will hold you accountable for your actions, whether they be good or bad.
And a friend will forgive you for your mistakes and recognize your successes.
HoboPelican
My rule is the old saying:

A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move bodies.

A little extreme, but the thought is there. Like CrimsonStrange said, a real friend is there for you no matter what.
ThornsOfSorrow
CrimsonStrange pretty much got all of the main points, but to add on, I think a friend needs to be able to see things from your point of view. For example, when my best friend is having a bad day and ends up taking it out on me, I try to realize that this is what's going on and that I shouldn't just yell back. These situations take patience and understanding, so it is here that a friend must really be able to see into the other person's head.

Continuing in that direction, a friend shouldn't push you to do anything you're not comfortable doing. Once again, they must understand you in order to know your limits.

A friend shouldn't do everything for you, as they need to keep themselves in mind as well, but they should make compromises. Cooperation is key in a friendship.
Sadow
Like what they are?
I think they are like you, with the same interests, same character etc.

What they look like?

They will look appealing to you anyways.

What do they do?
Nothing special. They just love you.

What don't they do?
They don't hurt you on purpose.

Because they love you.
QrafTee
Sadow wrote:
What don't they do?

Because they love you.

What if they do things that hurt you... Do they do it because they love you? Or does it void the answer to the last question?

BTW, thanks for the clarification from everyone including the Mod. But my main problem stems from the last two questions. >_> ... Don't look down on me.
jipmerite
Friends do the things they do cos they are also unique individuals... They will have their own faults too... friendship is not about not having any differences... it is getting along despite the differences.
Sadow
QrafTee wrote:
Sadow wrote:
What don't they do?

Because they love you.

What if they do things that hurt you... Do they do it because they love you? Or does it void the answer to the last question?

BTW, thanks for the clarification from everyone including the Mod. But my main problem stems from the last two questions. >_> ... Don't look down on me.

Hmm, yes that answer produces more questions. Sorry about that.
What I meant was they tell you the truth which can be painfull, but they don't want to hurt you, they just want you to learn from their advice. This is just an example. Another example would be they will teach you a lesson, to enlighten your view on things. The lesson might hurt, but that's not the point, the point is that friends want the very best for you.
As for looking down on you, I never meant to do this, sorry, I might have missed something wile reading?
My answers are not answers to meet your personal situation.
QrafTee
I didn't mean you were looking down on me, I was just saying I hope no one does.

Anyway I'm asking this because a friend of mine has done something my other friends deemed "questionable." One of them said "snake." So I was just reevaluating what a friend was...
Vrythramax
An aquintanc will act the part of a friend, a true frind knows no bounderies. They will stick by you thru thick and thin.

I belive that if you can count your true frinds on onehand....your a very lucky person.
Sadow
QrafTee wrote:
Anyway I'm asking this because a friend of mine has done something my other friends deemed "questionable." One of them said "snake." So I was just reevaluating what a friend was...

I see, well although we can help you define of what a friend is, a friend is also a human being and they can make terrible mistakes if certain conditions are met. If your friend is truly the friend of the guy who was called "snake" he should consider giving him a second chance. It's not for me to decide because these are difficult things to handle. I would advice don't let him make a rash decision.
Vrythramax
I have heard it said that the defiition (sp?) of a best friend is someone who truly knows you....and likes you anyway. Smile
QrafTee
Vrythramax wrote:
I have heard it said that the defiition (sp?) of a best friend is someone who truly knows you....and likes you anyway. Smile

So if he doesn't know that I can't talk to him and I feel bad-horrible when I'm around him and a certain person; does that mean he doesn't know me?
RubySlasher
A friend is someone you can fight with one moment, and then laugh and eat with the next.
creezalird
friend?..erm..true friend is whoever can stand with you, help you, support you, advice you and cry and share the pain with you...have u found your true friend?..I've found one..hehe
gorjuve
Well... a friend is someone you can trust and open your heart with. If it is a good friend, he/she will listen to you and try to be there for you any time. True friends are those who get happy when you achieve success... not feel envious for you...
Clever_As_Sin
Friend is someone who knows something Wink about you, but still wants to be with you.
Friend is part of yourself.
A real friend will never let you do something that can make you regret later.
molif
Like what they are? they are people?

What they look like? they look normal..

What do they do? they are there when you need them..

What don't they do? they don't backstab and be an enemy, they don't hurt you..

Why they do the things they do? because they care for you
tallicagallery
a friend is someone who cares about you, doesn´t try to change you,knows how to listen, and it´s there when you need.if you have one person like this, you´re looky
tevez
a friend is that guy who was with when you didn't have money,that guy who had to cover for you when you need help,that guy who has your back even when you're not around.
A friends listens when you talk,and when you cross the line a friend tells you so.
I know friend who call themselves my friend but in reality they are very not so.
I have one friend who has my back, and when i'm in any mess i connect the first call to.
When i'm down this friend is sad and goes to any lent to see me get well,i've known this friend for about 3 years and it's like we've been knowing ourselves for so long.
My only friend's name is giwa thats my friend
tempdbs
Friendship can't be defined.

But I like to say, For me Friend defines my BANGARU

Thats it..... What can be defined????
tinilam
a friend is someone who cares about you, doesn´t try to change you,knows how to listen, and it´s there when you need.
asiadragonx2
a friend, is always there when you need. always beside you, back you up when u are in trouble. kind and it doesnt matter what they look like
adeeengotha
I'd say: with a true friend, you'll have no questions in mind. You'll just know it, you'll just feel it. You'll feel most comfortable and safe being with that person. But one also has to remember that everyone makes mistakes as they are also human and we should be able to forgive each other and remember the good times when things get sour.

Maybe I shouldn't branch off a subtopic here, but I do wonder what happens when one person gives, shares, compromises more than the other. If one is really a true friend to the other, but the other keeps mooching, keeps expecting a lot, and gets disappointed if their expectations are not met, and is not ready to give as much back.
creezalird
f.r.i.e.n.d.s
molif
i have friends who are always there for me and i can rely on them.. they are like happy pills..
thinkingskull
A friend is some one who understands u in nd out....

one who cares....

one who is willin 2 support u....

one who doesnt do tit 4 tat.....

one who loves u.....
russel26
no matter what still there all the time you need..... Very Happy Very Happy
bluefossil
a friend is an imaginary idea that everyone wish they have. imagination... imaginaaaaaation... imaginaaatiiioooooon - southpark
iamarun
SOMEONE WHO LISTENS
SOMEONE WHO TELLS
YOU THE TRUTH ABOUT YOURSELF AND
YOU LISTEN AND APPRECIATE IT
SOMEONE WHO YOU WOULD BREAK
ALL APPOINTMENTS TO BE WITH
SOMEONE WHO ARRIVES UNEXPECTEDLY
AS YOU ARE GOING OUT AND YOU WANT
WITH ALL YOUR HEART TO TAKE THEM WITH YOU
SOMEONE YOU DON'T WANT TO LEAVE,
NO MATTER HOW MUCH TIME
YOU HAVE SPENT WITH THEM
A SOULMATE:
YOUR INNER BEING IS KNIT BY G_D WITH THEIRS
AND YOU KNOW IT

Copied from http://members.foothills.net/sabalou/afriend.htm
fortune
Some people come into our lives and quickly go…
Some people become friends and stay a while…
Leaving footprints on our Hearts…
and we are never quite the same…
because we have made a good friend!!

A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway.
– Fr. Jerome Cummings

Remember, the greatest gift if not found in a store nor under a tree, but in the hearts of true friends.
– Cindy Lew

Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure.
– Jewish Saying

Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.
– Elbert Hubbard

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.
– Aristotle.

Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
– Albert Camus

The only way to have a friend is to be one.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.
– Abraham Lincoln

Hold a true friend with both your hands.
– Nigerian Proverb

A faithful friend is the medicine of life.
– Apocrypha

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave foot prints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.
– Anonymous

Friends are like melons; shall I tell you why? To find one good you must one hundred try.
– Claude Mermet

Friendship multiplies the good of life and divides the evil.
– Baltasar Gracian

Friendship needs no words…
– Dag Hammarskjold

Friends are the sunshine of life.
– John Hay

The best mirror is an old friend.
–George Herbert

One who looks for a friend without faults will have none.
– Hasidic Saying

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
– Walter Winchell

Friends are needed both for joy and for sorrow.
– Samuel Paterson

Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all the world.
– John Evelyn

Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.
– Swedish proverb

A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.
– Anonymous

Count your age with friends but not with years
– Anonymous

Plant a seed of friendship; reap a bouquet of happiness.
– Lois L. Kaufman

I keep my friends as misers do their treasure, because, of all the things granted us by wisdom, none is greater or better than friendship.
– Pietro Aretino

There is nothing worth the wear of winning, but laughter and the love of friends.
– Hillaire Belloc

The rain may be falling hard outside,
But your smile makes it all alright.
I’m so glad that you’re my friend.
I know our friendship will never end.
– Robert Alan

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow-ripening fruit.
– Aristotle

Friendship is essentially a partnership.
– Aristotle

Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe unto him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
– The Bible: Ecclesiastes 4:9-10.

A friend loves at all times.
– The Bible: Proverbs 17, 17.

A companion loves some agreeable qualities which a man may possess, but a friend loves the man himself.
– James Boswell

Friendship is a strong and habitual inclination in two persons to promote the good and happiness of one another.
– Eustace Budgell

Friendship is Love without his wings!
– Lord Byron

Friendship makes prosperity more brilliant, and lightens adversity by dividing and sharing it.
– Cicero

True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost
– Charles Caleb Colton

Every man passes his life in the search after friendship.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

We do not so much need the help of our friends as the confidence of their help in need.
– Epicurus

Friends show their love in times of trouble…
– Euripides

Let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.
– Kahil Gibran

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
– Kahil Gibran

A sympathetic friend can be quite as dear as a brother.
– Homer

We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over.
– Samuel Johnson

However rare true love may be, it is less so than true friendship.
– La Rochefoucauld

A true friend is the greatest of all blessings, and that which we take the least care to acquire.
– La Rochefoucauld

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, who has sight so keen and strong
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend.
– Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

You can make more friends in two months by becoming really interested in other people, than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.
– Bernard Meltzer

Love is rarer than genius itself. And friendship is rarer than love.
– Charles Peguy

A friend is a present you give yourself.
– Robert Louis Stevenson

Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.
– Mark Twain

An honest answer is the sign of true friendship.
– Proverbs 24:26

You cannot be friends upon any other terms than upon the terms of equality.
– Woodrow Wilson

It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give him that determines the quality of friendship.
– Mary Dixon Thayer

A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world.
– Leo Buscaglia

It’s the ones you can call up at 4:00 a.m. that really matter.
– Marlene Dietrich

Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.
– Sicilian Proverb

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.
– Henry David Thoreau

True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity, before it is entitled to the appellation.
– George Washington

I have lost friends, some by death, others through sheer inability to cross the street.
– Virginia Woolf

One of the surest evidences of friendship that one individual can display to another is telling him gently of a fault. If any other can excel it, it is listening to such a disclosure with gratitude, and amending the error.– Edward Bulwer
– Lytton

A true friend is one who overlooks your failures and tolerates your success!
– Doug Larson

A true friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else.
– Len Wein

Friendship is to be purchased only by friendship. A man may have authority over others, but he can never have their hearts but by giving his own.
– Thomas Wilson