FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RSS feeds from my Frihost site

DoctorBeaver
Is there any software I can use to generate RSS feeds from a news page on my site here? I want to be able to send updates & news to people who register for my RSS feed.

I know I can send it from a blog like my 1 at MySpace but I'd like to keep everything here at Frihost if possible.
silverdown
If you update on your site they would need is script ( to view on their site) , software or view your site to get it normally. If they is another way I do not know about it.

[ Free RSS Feed Reader]

http://www.feedreader.com/

[Free ware RSS Generator ]

http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_4_50_21036.html

You can host the RSS feed at frihost, at least last time I knew you could.
DoctorBeaver
Silverdown - Thanks.

I use the RSS feeds in Opera & Firefox to receive them, but I'm not sure about how the actual feeds work. I assume the browser (or other RSS reader) contacts the relevant site & downloads the feed.
Bondings
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I use the RSS feeds in Opera & Firefox to receive them, but I'm not sure about how the actual feeds work. I assume the browser (or other RSS reader) contacts the relevant site & downloads the feed.

Yes, it's a text file with html-like contents (xml) with the links and information about them[the links].

To generate it, you need some kind of script, probably a php script. But that depends on how the news is stored and what software you currently use. If it is a custom coded website with a mysql database, then you'll have to create one yourself, but if you are familar with php, it shouldn't be too hard to make one.
DoctorBeaver
I'm OK with php but I don't know a lot about XML. I'm not familiar with the structure required for RSS feeds.

I've found plenty of scripts for reading RSS but so far I've not found any for creating an RSS feed.
DoctorBeaver
Forget that last post - I've found 1! Smile
nico.carpentier
share with us what you found to generate your rss feed ! Exclamation