FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

do you use grids?

Do you use grids?
Yes I do
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Sometimes/rarley
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
No I don't
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
What is "grids" ?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Azmo
How many of you use grids when you design ur websites? My guess is that it's way to few then I'm hoping for.. if you don't know what grids are.. check it out here

I always use grids, and I find it most helpful, cause our eye can trick us alot of times, and after working with the same site for a week or two we are getting blind and cant see if we got our stuff inline or not..
imagefree
Yes i do. I use Dreamweaver 8 and I often use Grids and sometimes Guides too, to design layouts.
Azmo
can't say guides and grids are even close to be the same, grids are just background lines that helps you keep your margins right, and guides, well, guides tell u step by step how to do things.. not very often they mention grids or even talk about margins in a guide.. since it's kinda up to the creator to choose.. however.. grids do help alot when you use photoshop or other design programs, helps you keep everything just in line and don f*ck things up.. kinda let u see black on white if you are doing right or if you are sliding away..
{name here}
I don't really need grids. I use math to layout the web designs that I create.
Azmo
{name here} wrote:

yeah well, it's pretty much just making it easier.. when creating layouts in a design program.. u can use math aswell.. but alot of people just place stuff out and it looks to be in a line, but it realy isn't.. now, if you can see what's wrong and fix it with just ur eye (or math) it's great.. I prefer grids tho... since it's easier imo.. mostly needed for those who create layout in photoshop and then code after that.. using some images including texts/logotypes etc.. stuff that's suposed to be centered but isnt.. is so anoying Smile
cavey
Grid is a great way to go. You may not see if things are not in line, but other might see it. They might not notice why - that there is a pixel in difference, but their subconscious will notice it, and see that the website looks like a mess because of it.
{name here}
Azmo wrote:
{name here} wrote:

yeah well, it's pretty much just making it easier.. when creating layouts in a design program.. u can use math aswell.. but alot of people just place stuff out and it looks to be in a line, but it realy isn't.. now, if you can see what's wrong and fix it with just ur eye (or math) it's great.. I prefer grids tho... since it's easier imo.. mostly needed for those who create layout in photoshop and then code after that.. using some images including texts/logotypes etc.. stuff that's suposed to be centered but isnt.. is so anoying Smile

Here's a breakdown:
There are 100 percents in a percent
I want a layout which is 90% wide
That leaves 10% for the sides
I move the wrapper left 5% and have it 90% wide
All divs inside are 100% wide.
The logo image(the only image) is cropped to the very edge of the text that is in it so there is no chance of it being misaligned by the browser.
I'll now throw in the proper CSS

I've just made a without the use of grids that is perfectly aligned.
ennnzo
I only used grids when I'm in school and our teacher in technology teaches us how to make a website in Fireworks which of course, Isn't really a layout but images with text in it. Laughing
Azmo
{name here} wrote:
Azmo wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Here's a breakdown:
There are 100 percents in a percent
I want a layout which is 90% wide
That leaves 10% for the sides
I move the wrapper left 5% and have it 90% wide
All divs inside are 100% wide.
The logo image(the only image) is cropped to the very edge of the text that is in it so there is no chance of it being misaligned by the browser.
I'll now throw in the proper CSS

I've just made a without the use of grids that is perfectly aligned.

you don't need grids when you are coding ofc.. cause then you just choose ur margins and paddings..

Grids are used for layout making in design programs Smile

Lets say that you make your logotype image with some text,, that text should be in line with something else.. maybe more text further down on ur site.. that u write in ur html.. and text in logo is an image.. you can "nagg" the text in the logo and count to XX pixels from the left if you want.. I just think grids makes it easier, cause before I start coding, I must present my layout for the client, and if I havnt used grids it's a big chance some stuff just arnt inline.. just a photoshop image..

but grids for coding are nothing I use.. it's for layout and layout only Smile
roninmedia
I only use grids for when I design a graphic or draw out my entire page layout in Photoshop using the pre-defined dimensions that I wanted. After I do that, its merely knowing what dimensions your web browser is capable of displaying and setting it into the code. However, nowadays, I try to make fluid layouts so I rely more on the coding then any gridding to line up my layout properly for screen resolutions ranging from 800x600 all the way to 1600x1200. If you're really using grids to lay down a page design, you might as well use a WYSIWYG program so you can just draw and position everything so it lines up properly and the program generates the HTML required to have the page properly displayed.
WallBase
i make the template with PhotoFiltre! its easy and fast done.. hehe^^,)
irishmark
Azmo wrote:
can't say guides and grids are even close to be the same, grids are just background lines that helps you keep your margins right, and guides, well, guides tell u step by step how to do things....

I think he meant guides as in guide lines ah la photoshop as oppsoed to tutorials
Azmo
irishmark wrote:
Azmo wrote:
can't say guides and grids are even close to be the same, grids are just background lines that helps you keep your margins right, and guides, well, guides tell u step by step how to do things....

I think he meant guides as in guide lines ah la photoshop as oppsoed to tutorials

you do have a point there Smile could be that Smile