FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RSS Feed Update Issue

welshsteve
Not sure where to post this as there isn't really a section for XML / RSS. Mods - Feel free to move it to somewhere else i appropriate.

I have written an RSS feed which I want to place on a website I'm managing. Here's my code.

Code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rss version="2.0">
   <channel>
      <title>Latest Snooker Table</title>
      <description>Leamington and District Snooker League Tables</description>
      <link>http://swweb.frih.net/LDBSA</link>
      <item>
         <title>Snooker Tables - 24th May 2007</title>
         <description>
            &lt;h2&gt;Premier Division&lt;/h2&gt;
            &lt;table style=&quot;font: 10pt verdana, arial;padding:5px;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;th style=&quot;text-align:left;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Team&lt;/th&gt;
            &lt;th style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Pld&lt;/th&gt;
            &lt;th style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Won&lt;/th&gt;
            &lt;th style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Lost&lt;/th&gt;
            &lt;th style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Pts&lt;/th&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Shades 2nd&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;19&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;17&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;2&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;94&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Kenilworth Conservatives 1st&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;19&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;16&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;2&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;83&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Nelson 1st&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;10&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;8&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;75&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Cubbington 1st&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;11&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;7&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;67&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Shades 4th&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;8&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;10&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;65&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Harbury 1st&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;56&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Windsor&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;53&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Warwick Conservatives 1st&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;52&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Lillington 3rd&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;5&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;13&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;39&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;tr&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;Harbury 3rd&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;4&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;14&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;td style=&quot;text-align:center;border:1px solid #000;border-collapse:collapse;&quot;&gt;20&lt;/td&gt;
            &lt;/tr&gt;
            &lt;/table&gt;
            &lt;br /&gt;
            &lt;br /&gt;
            &lt;b&gt;Related Link&lt;/b&gt;: &lt;a href=http://swweb.frih.net/LDBSA/s_tables.php&gt;http://swweb.frih.net/LDBSA/s_tables.php&lt;/a&gt;
            &lt;/div&gt;
         </description>
         <link>http://swweb.frih.net/LDBSA/s_tables.php</link>
      </item>
   </channel>
</rss>

Now I want to simply update this file each week by changing the date in the title, and obviously update the table positions etc. I have tested this, and although the news readers I am testing in download the original message. When I update the message and re-upload it to my frihost account, the readers will not download the new updated message.

Is it because they think it's the same message as previously? Is there a setting I can code within the <item> tag that will let readers know it has been updsted? Or maybe giving the items an ID, which I can increment each time, and therefore telling the readers that it's a new version of the file?

I want to just update this each week, upload it to the server and know that people who've subscribed to it will get the new message.

I have tested this using Outlook 2007 and Thunderbird 2.0

The feed can be accessed from http://swweb.frih.net/LDBSA/snookertables.xml
welshsteve
Hi everyone, I've got around it now. I have found a solution in using the <guid> tag.

I'm going to use a date string for the value. e.g. the below for 24th May 2007

Code:

<guid>240507</guid>

..and the following for 31st May 2007 etc etc

Code:

<guid>310507</guid>

I have testing this and it works.