FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMP :: Creating a new image

LostOverThere
Whenever I create a new image (File > New) I get an error, pretty much that it has crashed.

This is what the error report contained.

rekluzz
Well, my advice would be to first do a complete uninstall of Gimp, then redownload and install the latest version plus the GTK engine.
Here's the download link for the stable version.
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html
sush
Does the same thing happen in other paint programs? It might not be a hardware problem but if you are too low on memory you never know.

Reinstallation should help.
corey
I agree with a reinstall, but before reinstalling, you might want to also remove any registry entries that the program has left before reinstalling. I recommend CCleaner as the registry repair tool. Others may be too aggressive. It might be a good idea to remove GTK as well and reinstall that after a registry clean. I hope that you get it working.
qscomputing
Are you running any other GTK programs on the same machine (eg. Gaim/Pidgin)? In Windows, most GTK programs install their own copy of the toolkit, so it might be different GTK versions conflicting with each other.

HTH.
LostOverThere
Nope, non at all.
outofnicks
Could it be you are missing the libglib-2.0.0.dll library? There's no other info provided. Actually, that image is not the real error report the way it looks. You need to visit the link at the bottom of the window, to view technical information about the error report.
WickedGravity
Having experienced similar problems myself, i suspect that it will have something to do with the DLL from the GIMP interacting with the GTK toolkit. It could have got corrupted somehow, but I strongly suggest you simply follow the first piece of advice.

If you have any custom brushes/actions/etc, back them up. Then go ahead and uninstall both the GIMP and GTK. Reinstall a fresh copy of each and I think you will find your issue is solved.