FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar

Osmodius
LotR Online came out a few weeks ago, anyone here tried it?

IGN video review: Here.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Online:_Shadows_of_Angmar

eLto
I think most people are too busy playing WoW to actually give this a try. Like any mmorpg game these days, it will probably just fall into the deep abyss of non-profit games and die out, unfortunately. It's a great concept, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason why offline rpgs sell better. They can be played and cleared, not go on forever and thus make the players find the best one and just play that instead of playing e.g. Final fantasy 7, skies of arcadia, oblivion, fable and so on.
ankitjain
Thanks for the link. I really appreciate what you gave and this is the best way to share information among ourselves.

I also want to ask you if you have any good promising torrent files which you can give me so that I can download some good games from that.
I am really fed up of old games now. Please help me.

Thank you
Osmodius
I read in a GameSpy review that LotRO actually has really weak PvP. Check out this quote from its wiki page:

Quote:
In fact there is a form of PvP combat included called "Player versus Monster-Player (PvMP)". Monster Play is unlocked at level 10, when players can automatically become level 50 monsters that are restricted to one area of the game. Players temporarily control playable monster characters which can complete quests and attack other non-monster player characters within the area designated for Monster Play. These monster characters may be enhanced by the use of Destiny Points, which are awarded while leveling and completing quests as your monster character as well as your normal character.

I'd love to see some PvP videos from this game to find out for sure, but "PvMP" just sounds really, really dumb. The biggest flaw in World of Warcraft was the horrible PvP, but even WoW PvP seems better than this D:
dark_guardian216
The game is indeed very highly anticipated. The new technology, such as recreating a specific area for the specific character, to do a specific quest and travel with the Fellowship, is indeed attractive, and may be a competitor to World of Warcraft. It accurately depicts the world of Tolkien, with very accurate graphics, backgrounds and descriptions. LOTR junkies will absolutely relish the opportunity to travel with the famous characters of the novels, and fight many ancient beasts from there too.
There is a great deal you can do to individualize and upgrade you character. With races such as Human, elf, dwarf, hobbit, and many traits, players will not be bored. More to come soon.
Xiger
My opinion on this game is split I must say.

Sure it's a great game, but maybe not at the same level as World of Warcraft (sorry I couldn't resist to compare it), mainly cause of some small things, I find the whole game rather laggy, before you even think about saying I should get a new computer I would like to tell you that my XPS should be more then capable to run this game smoothly, cause it can run FEAR and some other high demanding games smoothly.

One other thing that I dislike is that I find some stuff a bit messy, like the minimap is from time to time very messy so you can't make out what everything is. On the other hand I haven't really had the time to play around with the game settings yet, but I got the rest of my life to do that thanks to one thing I really like: Founder edition - One time fee to play for ever.

But the game does not only have bad sides, take a look at the poster above me and you will see some rather good points, no need for me to repeat them.

Quote:
I also want to ask you if you have any good promising torrent files which you can give me so that I can download some good games from that.
I am really fed up of old games now. Please help me.

Just wondering, what kind of torrents are you after? The illegal ones? In that case your in the wrong forum mate, no wareZ allowed here.

Check my other post to see what kind of games there are to get for free: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-70345-2.html#620799
syther
i don't like it very much, it's like a copy of WoW and oblivion, the graphics are from oblivion and the gameplay is like wow, the game is very crowded as well, and you have much lag on it, i got 3 friends that tried it, and quited it because it was boring
DivineConclave
eLto wrote:
I think most people are too busy playing WoW to actually give this a try. Like any mmorpg game these days, it will probably just fall into the deep abyss of non-profit games and die out, unfortunately. It's a great concept, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason why offline rpgs sell better. They can be played and cleared, not go on forever and thus make the players find the best one and just play that instead of playing e.g. Final fantasy 7, skies of arcadia, oblivion, fable and so on.

Fable? *smirk* Peter Molyneux is such a tool. He should finish a game before releasing it. Or simply fall on a rusty dagger. Either way... we win.

But on to the topic.
I want to play LOTRO so bad, but I am a little leery to actually try it only because I am an RPer. I hear mixed things about the RP in that game. If I get there, I want to be able to RP with little to no griefing. I want the RP to be supported. I want the NPCs to be somewhat interactive. I highly respect the game concept and I respect the fact that they really worked hard to keep it as accurate to the books as possible while still providing an effective MMO. I just think i will wait this one out a bit before jumping into it.
DivineConclave
Osmodius wrote:
I read in a GameSpy review that LotRO actually has really weak PvP. Check out this quote from its wiki page:

Quote:
In fact there is a form of PvP combat included called "Player versus Monster-Player (PvMP)". Monster Play is unlocked at level 10, when players can automatically become level 50 monsters that are restricted to one area of the game. Players temporarily control playable monster characters which can complete quests and attack other non-monster player characters within the area designated for Monster Play. These monster characters may be enhanced by the use of Destiny Points, which are awarded while leveling and completing quests as your monster character as well as your normal character.

I'd love to see some PvP videos from this game to find out for sure, but "PvMP" just sounds really, really dumb. The biggest flaw in World of Warcraft was the horrible PvP, but even WoW PvP seems better than this D:

Weak PvP? I'm sold. Maybe the PvPers will stay out of it then. But I doubt it. PvPers tend to be the griefers and the ones with the largest immaturity quotient in gaming. I could actually enjoy PvP if it weren't full of these asshats.

WoW PvP pretty much equates to:
"Hey look! Someone 10 levels lower than me. I should go gank him."

or

"Let's go to the BG's."

Me: "No thanks. If I want to play Unreal Tournament, I'll just load Unreal Tournament."
Osmodius
DivineConclave wrote:
Weak PvP? I'm sold. Maybe the PvPers will stay out of it then. But I doubt it. PvPers tend to be the griefers and the ones with the largest immaturity quotient in gaming. I could actually enjoy PvP if it weren't full of these asshats.

Back to Silver Hand with ye, RPer!

You're right though, WoW PvP is shit, world PvP = ganking and BGs are pretty pathetic.

Just a question - didn't you play on an RP server? You didn't have to RP on PvP or RP-PvP.
DivineConclave
I have characters across the servers like James Kirk has offspring.

RP/PvE, RP/PvP, Normal, PvP... I have toons everywhere. It's interesting to log into various servers and see they are ALL the same now due to people creating characters on the various servers for the sole reason of griefing.
Osmodius
DivineConclave wrote:
I have characters across the servers like James Kirk has offspring.

RP/PvE, RP/PvP, Normal, PvP... I have toons everywhere. It's interesting to log into various servers and see they are ALL the same now due to people creating characters on the various servers for the sole reason of griefing.

Heh, I forgot about cross server PvP too. I remember beating a 35 man Silver Hand horde team in AV with a PUG.. good times. I stopped making fun of them after one of them said to me "Yeah I'm an RPer, but you're PvPing on World of Warcraft." I gave him a "touché" and then went and played real games.

Blizzard should've segregated RP servers (and possibly PvE servers) from PvP servers in cross server BGs, and implemented some kind of system to reduce the number of people creating new characters to grief people on RP servers.

Then again, you gotta keep in mind that it's not just a case of "Blizzard doesn't care about RPers", because Blizzard really doesn't care about any of their players. It's all about the money to them, and most RPers probably just put up with the bullshit and continue to pay them.