FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bun Towers in Hong Kong

regards
My cousin have just visited Hong Kong. He sent me back some photo of the BUN FESTIVAL. In that festival, people climb on Bun Towers (towers covered by buns) That sounds really interesting to me!

Wink Regards

P.S. Photos attached
Bun Towers
Bun Tower Race
Bun Tower Race 2
wellerchap
looks a very interesting event....traditional, localised events like these are super and must be kept up in order to protect a sense of individual identity.
Master Yoda
Wow, now that's a .. uhm.. unique idea for a festival, if I say so myself... Seems pretty interesting.. like the pics though... but I'm still kinda wondering how so many people are supported by a tower made of buns.. hmm..
skygaia
It looks very interesting... hm....
I've been to Hongkong one time. it was nice city, especially very beautiful at night.
DoctorBeaver
Why do they do it?
Chelissamow
Wow, that looks quite interesting. I've never been to Hong Kong before but I'd sure love to visit it at least once.
Fake
Wow. That is cool. Any larger pics to share?
Or should I go google Smile

edit by James007 - 2nd post added:
The buns seem to have some markings on them too
Zombie
Climbing up a steel tower covered in moist buns, now that's my idea of a wicked good time!
Davidgr1200
Do they get to eat them as well? Not really sure I would like to after peopel have been climbing all over them, and birds have been ........ perching on them.
Yantaal
what the hell are the buns madeof? how aN THEY SUPPORT A HUMANS WEIGHT
j_f_k
Honk Kong has really changed radically since I last went 15 years ago. This sounds quite a lot of fun (who eats the buns at the end after everyone's climbed all over them !?) Have to say when I saw the topic title of 'bun towers' sounded just a bit on the rude side so overcame with curiousity.
wellerchap
Yantaal wrote:
what the hell are the buns madeof? how aN THEY SUPPORT A HUMANS WEIGHT

My wife's cooking could Shocked
Tvis
Don't worry...I don't know either... Laughing
regards
More larger photos attached...
Bun tower 2
Winner of bun tower race
Bun tower race 3
Bun tower race
Very Happy Enjoy!!!!

Wink Regards
regards
Sorry, the actual name of the festival is Cheng Chau Bun Festival.It is a celebration dominated by white chinese buns is quite a spectacle, and it is one not to be missed.

Every year on the tiny island of Cheung Chau, the people of Hong Kong celebrate the Bun Festival.

Enormous bamboo towers studded with white chinese bun and effigies of three gods dominate the grounds near the Pak Tai Temple, where the main festivities take place. The festival that lasts for about a week climaxes with a large, colourful street procession, which features costumed children on stilts in a carnival atmosphere that winds its way through the streets.

Other than the annual Bun Festival, there are other wonderful sightseeing attractions on tiny Cheung Chau to enjoy such as the beaches, temples and quaint back alleys.

One of the reputed origins of this popular festival, which attracts tourists by the tens of thousands each year, involves a plague on the island hundreds of years ago. Villagers disguised themselves as different deities and walked around the island to drive away the evil spirits responsible for the plague. Another story says the festival is part of an annual exorcism and fast.

So far, I don't know the material of the buns until now. I will tell you when I get it.

edit by James007 - 2nd post added:
And more information...

Actually, in the past,the last event of this weeklong celebration was the climbing of the bun towers. Athletes would scamper up the bamboo bun towers and grab as many buns as possible. The buns would then be sold or distributed to those who did not join in the competition. This ritual was abandoned in 1978, but was resumed again.

Regards
crimson_aria
weird but interesting. what a unique festival. I'd attend that festival if ever I go there. It seems fun.
mstreet
This actually made the news in Canada and the footage looked really fun. I'd love to win a whole bunch of buns.
James007
Moderation Notice:

Topic has been moved to the Personal Pictures Gallery. Maybe not the most suitable section for this topic, but anyhow more suitable than the General Chat. Please try to avoid posting in the General Chat if you're able to post it elsewhere.

To regards and Fake: Please use the "edit" button if you want to add something to your previous reply. Do not make a new post as this is double posting (and not allowed).

Thank you. Smile
regards
James007 wrote:
Moderation Notice:

Topic has been moved to the Personal Pictures Gallery. Maybe not the most suitable section for this topic, but anyhow more suitable than the General Chat. Please try to avoid posting in the General Chat if you're able to post it elsewhere.

To regards and Fake: Please use the "edit" button if you want to add something to your previous reply. Do not make a new post as this is double posting (and not allowed).

Thank you. Smile

Oh, sorry! I don't notice that. Promise not another time.

Wink Regards
skynet
Nice pictured you got Smile
But I didn't realize, where it is?
regards
skynet wrote:
Nice pictured you got Smile
But I didn't realize, where it is?

Actually it was a tower made of bamboos covered by buns in the past (about 25 years ago). In nowadays, the tower is made of bamboo and some steel structures for safety devices. It is now covered by reusable fake plastic buns. This is due to the hygenic and safety concerns. Although the measures give more protections to contestant, the contestants claim that they have increased the difficulties for them to climb up the bun tower.I hope this can answer your question.

Wink Regards