FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nobel Prize of Manga

Samerron
Hey guys, I read this interesting article on CNN, check it out:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/05/22/manga.nobel.ap/index.html

Quote:
TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- Japan will hand out its first "Nobel Prize of Manga" this summer for artists in the comic book genre abroad, the Foreign Ministry said Tuesday -- another step in its efforts to harness the power of pop culture diplomacy...
Scaramanga
Except that it's no where NEAR what a Nobel Prize is awarded for, and looks to be just some PR stunt from the Foreign ministry in Japan. Of COURSE they want to recognize manga-ka who've helped spread Japanese culture elsewhere. They own economy is doing so poorly that about the only thing they can count on right now are exports, even if that means exporting their pop culture. And that's been a VERY profitable business for them to date.
Whong
I don't think manga creators should get any Noble prize. Idea
exarkun
Whong wrote:
I don't think manga creators should get any Noble prize. Idea
Why not? I think those with talent should be given a chance to be recongised by others.. And this is where the prize come in..
ddukki
Well, nowadays, they have Nobel Prizes for a lot of different genres of Human development and those who read Mangas know that there are some deep philosophical backgrounds to a lot of them (Full Metal Alchemist). Saying that Manga Artists shouldn't get Nobel Prizes is just hypocritical. They've given a lot to society in the ways of entertainment and creative genius. I wouldn't be surprised if they started giving out Nobels to game creators.
Scaramanga
ddukki wrote:
Well, nowadays, they have Nobel Prizes for a lot of different genres of Human development

Uhh no, no there AREN'T. There are only FIVE Nobel Prizes awarded each year, and they are for: Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Economics, Lierature and Peace.

ddukki wrote:
and those who read Mangas know that there are some deep philosophical backgrounds to a lot of them (Full Metal Alchemist).

I'm curious how you think any mangaka has given to society as a whole? In most cases the majority of manga are available in only Japanese, outside of that maybe a smaller portion to English. Also if you are even remotely comparing ANY mangaka - I don't care how deep or insightful his/her stories are - to the likes of William Faulkner, Ernest Hemmingway, George Bernard Shaw, John Steinbeck among MANY many other, you sir are ridiculous. Most manga rides on the shoulders of and borrows story elements from people who have come before them.

ddukki wrote:
Saying that Manga Artists shouldn't get Nobel Prizes is just hypocritical. They've given a lot to society in the ways of entertainment and creative genius. I wouldn't be surprised if they started giving out Nobels to game creators.

The Nobel Prize isn't about entertainment or creativity. The original wording of the prize for Literature is "the most outstanding work of an ideal/istic tendency" (and here by work, they mean an author's entire BODY of work, not just one.) And no, they will NOT be giving out Nobel prizes to game creators. Just saying that shows that you have no comprehension of the nature of the prize.

That's not to say there aren't excellent stories and lessons to be learned in manga. But Nobel Prize worthy? No.
Lampton
I believe mangakas do deserve Nobel Prizes. If they give out Prizes for literatures, why not mangakas, or any other comic illustrators as well? It is basically the same as literature, only illustrated.

While NP may not be about entertainment or creativity, many manga does have a great qualities found in literature.

Sure, when people hear "manga", especially in America, people often think of generic brands and stereotype them, knowing only limited genres and titles, while the reality is, there are far more genres and stories of manga published, so many varieties in fact, that you simply can't think of any new stories anymore, because someone has already written a manga on it.

Manga is not only about entertainment, but it also has great influence on those who read them. Many Japanese engineers, professionals artists, teachers, athletes, historians, etc. claimed that they got into such contributing possessions because manga has influenced them to do so.

Manga also stems from the idea of "teaching", such as how Japan has began learning about the human anatomy and science from the West (and East: the Chinese medical knowledge) not only through writings, but illustrations that goes with it. This has helped many normal civilians come to be a lot more educated and creative, leading it to the Meiji era. And even though this is an old news, many manga is still created to teach their readers, not just to entertain them, and if it is creative and entertaining, then more points for them. Creativity and entertainment makes learning a lot more fun, eh.

You simply can't say that manga has not given out any lessons of positive influence in this modern age. It is a lot bigger than any of us can imagine. The list of mangas produced, the ideas and the reasons for it's creation, and countless numbers of people who was influenced by it positively is just too great to be ignored.
Scaramanga
Lampton wrote:
Manga also stems from the idea of "teaching", such as how Japan has began learning about the human anatomy and science from the West (and East: the Chinese medical knowledge) not only through writings, but illustrations that goes with it. This has helped many normal civilians come to be a lot more educated and creative, leading it to the Meiji era. And even though this is an old news, many manga is still created to teach their readers, not just to entertain them, and if it is creative and entertaining, then more points for them. Creativity and entertainment makes learning a lot more fun, eh.

Uhhh actually ther earliest recorded manga were pillow books. Now maybe you could make an argument that they were "educational", but yeah, that's a bit of a stretch. Also, it wasn't manga that led to the Meiji restoration.

Lampton wrote:
You simply can't say that manga has not given out any lessons of positive influence in this modern age. It is a lot bigger than any of us can imagine. The list of mangas produced, the ideas and the reasons for it's creation, and countless numbers of people who was influenced by it positively is just too great to be ignored.

Uhhh because it's limited specifically to Japanese culture, sure I most definitely CAN say it doesn't have a positive influence in this modern age, at least not to the world AT LARGE. You are aware that the Nobel Prize is an international award right?

However good manga stories are, they are ENTERTAINMENT first and foremost.
Lampton
I never said manga lead to Meiji era. Manga can be said it came from "pillow books", but it's more solidified and recognized origin comes from around 18th century.

But I'm sorry, I guess I should've never used the word "stems" for Manga through the idea of using illustration to educate, even the illiterate at that time that encouraged them to be more curious, and ukiyoe. I simply thought about it's more modernized form.

I understand how a lot of people might be skeptic about how manga deserves to no Prize, but really. Really? Has no manga ever made a great impact in the world? I doubt it specifically stops at Japan itself, because there are now many Japanese ideas, culture, products, etc., that has been obviously influencing the world today, and much of the people of Japan do admit manga has been influencing them as well.

And now that manga is not only limited to Japan, I'm quite sure that there are more people out there who feels that manga has given them great influence.

This also reminds me about the early ukiyoe paintings and painters. Using Hokusai for example, he and his art was not taken seriously until after his death. No one thought he was worthy enough, because he painted mostly "whimsical" to "casual" sceneries, a pure and simple entertainment, until people began noticing his innovative and highly skilled style. It's not just him, but other Ukiyoe painters have then began influencing the Western artists greatly, such as the surreal painters.

I find myself believing that manga is very much like that. Not many people seem to notice how it's effecting millions of it's reader and their nation, such as Japan and America, but it is.