FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Installing Debian to my mac...

KHO
Has anyone installed a linux distro that wasn't directly geared toward being installed on a mac and had it work? Just wondering if I'm gonna totally trash my mac doing this (I don't have a mac re-installation disk).
{name here}
KHO wrote:
Has anyone installed a linux distro that wasn't directly geared toward being installed on a mac and had it work? Just wondering if I'm gonna totally trash my mac doing this (I don't have a mac re-installation disk).

Linux is based on hardware architectures, not brand names. So, if you download the x86/x64(depending on if you have 32 or 64 bit processing power) version of the distro, everything will go as it would go on a PC.
KHO
Nice, just one more noob question, is setting up a dual boot any different? I assume it would be the same since it just kind of points to a partition to load and pretends that partition is the primary.

Also: I do NOT have my Mac OSX disk, I bought the machine used and they didn't supply. Any way I can get around this? I'm reading that I need that disk to get to the boot loader...
Xeniczone
Linux and Mac OS X i do believe run on different hdd formats making it hard to make a dual boot without first setting it up that way. You can find a Mac OS X disk for your mac for probably 13 bucks on ebay. At least I did, but it has to be for your mac you can't buy a PowerMac disk and expect it to work on your iMac etc.

I have tried to install a copy of Suse Linux once on my old g3 iMac because I needed to use it as a wireless server for my PS2 online connection, I didn't get very far and I never got it installed. I had to use the PPC version of the disk just for a note. Unless you have a Intel mac you will need to PPC version.

Unless you really need linux for w/e reason I would stick with mac OS X i tried to use linux only for the reason that I wanted to get a wireless card to work that wasnt' support by OS X. You will find Mac OS X much easier to use then linux as well.

On a seperate note have you first tried a Live! CD? They work by running the OS of a CD so you don't have to mess with the hard drive.

My experiance is I accually have a Macintosh.

Well best of luck.
vandetta
I agree. I am also a Mac + Linux user. I try Linux because I want to learn. If you just want to try better try LiveCD since you don't have the Mac installation CD/DVD and if something happen would be pain to you to send it to shop and ask them to re-install the OS for you.
KHO
Xeniczone wrote:
You will find Mac OS X much easier to use then linux as well.

On a seperate note have you first tried a Live! CD? They work by running the OS of a CD so you don't have to mess with the hard drive.

Well, to me mac is a bit more difficult then it needs to be, and atm the ONLY thing I use my mac for is to store music and play it. My linux machine is faster so I use that for everything else. And if I convert mac to linux, then I can set it up as a samba server.

I could try live, just to test the hardware, but I can't figure out how to get it to boot from disk rather then HDD.
kiranaghor
well ubuntu is based on debian. and it works fine on mac.
why6487
Quote:
q1:Has anyone installed a linux distro that wasn't directly geared toward being installed on a mac and had it work? Just wondering if I'm gonna totally trash my mac doing this (I don't have a mac re-installation disk).

Install Boot Camp and then allocate your Debian volume. Next burn the Debian Install CD or DVD. Then restart your Mac, holding C to boot from the CD or DVD and double click Install on the Debian desktop then in the volume maker/editor/deleter resize the Linux volume -1GB and create a swap volume 1GB on the disk. Then install Debian on your second-largest volume then finish the setup program. After that boot to the second volume that appears. Tada! If this doesn't work, cough up money for OS X and buy Leopard.