FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Malaysia

filet
anyone here been to malaysia?
so far i like to spend my trip in kuala lumpur and selangor area during malaysia mega carnival sale...

Malaysia Mega Sale Carnival
16 June 2007 Until 2 September 2007
throught malaysia

Malaysia Year End Sale Carnival
1 December 2007 Until 1 January 2008

i came across this site d-paradise.com.my...in malacca ..think will visit there in the future
LimpFish
I've never been there, but I will have 18 hours there between my flights on my way home from Bali this summer. Me and my friend are planning to make the most out of Kuala Lumpur in these hours Smile Anyone has any suggestions on what to do? Cool
JavaAppleT
I am from Malaysia.
You've gotta try out our local foods. Very Happy
You can also read more from this website: http://www.cuti.com.my/guide.htm
thealpha
The food at there is cheap and very nice.
You must try more !!!! Wink
firsttimedad
I am surprised that the "locals" in Malaysia didn't spend more time giving you some advice on travelling to KL.. so I guess I will try and "sell it to you"...

First thing to note is that the airport is a LOOOOOOONG way out of the city.. unless I am very much mistaken it is one of the furthest-from-city, city serving international airports in the world so be prepared for 2 things :

A 40 minute train ride to the town for about 45 Malaysian Ringgit ($12 us, ) then a 20 Taxi to your hotel (another 6-8 Malaysian Ringgit) ($1 - $2 us)

OR

A 45 minute Taxi from the Airport to your hotel for 100 Malaysian Ringgit ($30 us), and thats if you haggle.. ALOT!!

The hotels are pretty pricey, but then again, I didn't look for budget hotels in the city, but if you are not short of money try and stay at the MAYA Hotel (I think the call it the Maya City Resort)./ Even if you don't stay there try and have a drink in their Balcony Bar that overlooks the Petronas Towers... this is breath taking, and well worth the cost of a drink...

Which is another thing.. Malaysia is a muslim country and therefor carries the usual over inflated prices for alcohol, but then again if you don't drink it ain't a problem.

I'm sorry, I didn't look at your profile, so don't know if your male or female or what age, so I will base this on a single male over 25..

Nights out are OK in KL (again, if you drink they can be pricey, but they can be cool as well) and on my times there I used to start at the OutBack Bar (not sure of address, but it is pretty well known to the locals) which has some great happy hour (until 10pm) drinks deals that makes your night out a bit more affordable.

From there you can hit any of the other bars, TGI's seems a little more sedate, and friendly, whereas if you want some lively action head down to the Beach Bar area, and across the road the Thai Bar (every Taxi driver knows these areas so just ask). Both are pretty much packed with women, but unfortunaltly it seems the majority are all "working". There are also alot of Lady-Boys in there, although somewhat more recognisable as so than their Bangkok counterparts, so be warned. Try moving down the road abit from these two main bars - there are some VERY cool venues down there that seem less packed with working girls and more apt to a lively drinking environment.

There is also a good expat crowd down there, and plenty to watch.

Food wise, I didn't think Malaysia was much cop, but then I like the spicier foods of Thailand and India, so it may suit your palate..

The people are friendly, and all speak excellent English.

Clothes shopping is a must for all, with out without the sales, and my missus was particularly excited by the cost of the better quality shoes there.. in fact whenever I go to KL I always have to take 2 pairs home for her, but given (if there is a GOOD sale on) they are about 10% of the cost in Thailand (maybe 50% when no sales) it is worth it seeing as I know how much I am saving!

I haven't made it out of KL (yet), but with it being their Visit Malaysia year I am sure there will be some good deals around in the final parts of the year to get the numbers in (they projected something like an extra 3 million visitors on the back of this promotion so they will need to hit some big targets!)

I would like to hear some comments from locals, as well as travel tips for outside the main city... but have fun whereever you end up..

Failing that - go to Thailand, cheap beer, cheap clothes... cheap food.. and cheap whatever else thailand is famous for!
vaoger
firsttimedad wrote:
I am surprised that the "locals" in Malaysia didn't spend more time giving you some advice on travelling to KL.. so I guess I will try and "sell it to you"...

First thing to note is that the airport is a LOOOOOOONG way out of the city.. unless I am very much mistaken it is one of the furthest-from-city, city serving international airports in the world so be prepared for 2 things :

A 40 minute train ride to the town for about 45 Malaysian Ringgit ($12 us, ) then a 20 Taxi to your hotel (another 6-8 Malaysian Ringgit) ($1 - $2 us)

OR

A 45 minute Taxi from the Airport to your hotel for 100 Malaysian Ringgit ($30 us), and thats if you haggle.. ALOT!!

The hotels are pretty pricey, but then again, I didn't look for budget hotels in the city, but if you are not short of money try and stay at the MAYA Hotel (I think the call it the Maya City Resort)./ Even if you don't stay there try and have a drink in their Balcony Bar that overlooks the Petronas Towers... this is breath taking, and well worth the cost of a drink...

Which is another thing.. Malaysia is a muslim country and therefor carries the usual over inflated prices for alcohol, but then again if you don't drink it ain't a problem.

I'm sorry, I didn't look at your profile, so don't know if your male or female or what age, so I will base this on a single male over 25..

Nights out are OK in KL (again, if you drink they can be pricey, but they can be cool as well) and on my times there I used to start at the OutBack Bar (not sure of address, but it is pretty well known to the locals) which has some great happy hour (until 10pm) drinks deals that makes your night out a bit more affordable.

From there you can hit any of the other bars, TGI's seems a little more sedate, and friendly, whereas if you want some lively action head down to the Beach Bar area, and across the road the Thai Bar (every Taxi driver knows these areas so just ask). Both are pretty much packed with women, but unfortunaltly it seems the majority are all "working". There are also alot of Lady-Boys in there, although somewhat more recognisable as so than their Bangkok counterparts, so be warned. Try moving down the road abit from these two main bars - there are some VERY cool venues down there that seem less packed with working girls and more apt to a lively drinking environment.

There is also a good expat crowd down there, and plenty to watch.

Food wise, I didn't think Malaysia was much cop, but then I like the spicier foods of Thailand and India, so it may suit your palate..

The people are friendly, and all speak excellent English.

Clothes shopping is a must for all, with out without the sales, and my missus was particularly excited by the cost of the better quality shoes there.. in fact whenever I go to KL I always have to take 2 pairs home for her, but given (if there is a GOOD sale on) they are about 10% of the cost in Thailand (maybe 50% when no sales) it is worth it seeing as I know how much I am saving!

I haven't made it out of KL (yet), but with it being their Visit Malaysia year I am sure there will be some good deals around in the final parts of the year to get the numbers in (they projected something like an extra 3 million visitors on the back of this promotion so they will need to hit some big targets!)

I would like to hear some comments from locals, as well as travel tips for outside the main city... but have fun whereever you end up..

Failing that - go to Thailand, cheap beer, cheap clothes... cheap food.. and cheap whatever else thailand is famous for!

Your are right.. but not too right!!
Thailand will be a best choice of destination if you are a shopping maniac ( sorry for the word)..
about the price.. Malaysia are too..or far too high compare to thailand!
but have you ever notice... most people in malaysia understood.. at least abit english... that solve the big problem of comunication!!
thailand are a good place.. but there are too many temple.. all special bout thailand are their water feastival, boat market, the "famous she male"( far more beauiful and femine that normal women)!1

i personally is a bagpack traveller! if talk about eating.. yum yum..
there only will be 2 place i want to visit.. Malaysia n taiwan..
Malaysia is full of mix breed n original oriental cursine...
western, chinese,japan, all most any food you can find it it malaysia...
what the weird hing is.. the name of the food!! becarefull.. sometime the food are the same.. jus that its name are differ... but sometime the other way around. such as.. kam mua ( dried noodle).. are differ in east n west of malaysia.
yiemega
filet wrote:
anyone here been to malaysia?
so far i like to spend my trip in kuala lumpur and selangor area during malaysia mega carnival sale...

Malaysia Mega Sale Carnival
16 June 2007 Until 2 September 2007
throught malaysia

Malaysia Year End Sale Carnival
1 December 2007 Until 1 January 2008

i came across this site d-paradise.com.my...in malacca ..think will visit there in the future

I am from Malaysia and a Frihoster newbie, are you from Malaysia too? I am Frihost newbie please guide me about frihost. If you live in Malaysia Where the Part it is? Kuala Lumpur? Terengganu or What, Please let me know how long that you was participate in Frihost. I hope frihost is the best free forum hosting in the world.