FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WORLD7WONDERS

Carlosus
hEY . this is an important topic right now in mexico. all the mexican channel are promoting to vote for chichenitza Mexican place. I think it's important to bring more visitor to our country.
But i really prefer the chinesse big wall. It was a hard job. how they do that? Shocked
Vrythramax
Moved to the History forum.

If I am not mistaken it is actually called "The Great wall of China", and it was built over the course of generations to keep invading armies out of China. The actually wall itself was built, or should I say engineered, by many differant people over the course of years. It was a common belief that the wall was one of the few man-made objects that could be viewed from outer-space...but this has been proven to be false.

What is true is that many died in the course of building the wall, and it still remains one of the 7 wonders of the new world.

How many can describe the 7 wonders of the ancient world? I'll give you a head start...The Collosus of Rhodes, and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon...only 5 left. Smile
dray101
Pyramids (of Egypt)
Stone Hinge (of England)
....ummm Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
The Great Lighthouse?

I could google them but I'm not sad... Wink
play Civilization and you can lean them all (plus more)
Azmo
no need to google.. there are posts about the 7 wonders in the history topic already.. just browse the forum Smile
reddishblue
Easy. And I did not use the internet to find out.
The Great Pyramid
Zeus' Statue
Lighthouse of Alexandria
Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Collosus of Rhodes (my personal favourite)
Temple of Artemis
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (the least known wonder)
arranf
Now all we need is the 7 Wonders of the futuristic world..
Someone should put together a list. When we have the technology we build them. It'd be interesting to see if the past can affect the future...
palavra
reddishblue wrote:
Easy. And I did not use the internet to find out.
The Great Pyramid
Zeus' Statue
Lighthouse of Alexandria
Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Collosus of Rhodes (my personal favourite)
Temple of Artemis
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (the least known wonder)

two of them in Turkey

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (in Bodrum)
Temple of Artemis
(in Ephesus / Efes)
Tembe
how many of those wonders are still where they used to be??
Vrythramax
Tembe wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are all still, or at least what's left of them, right where they were when first built...the names of the countries may have changed over the years...but the locations would still remain the same. Wink

I only posted about the seven wonders of the ancient world to help keep the topic allive, and possibly make people think a little. Smile

Many of our current achievements far surpass any of the old 7 wonders, but taking into consideration the technology (if the word even existed back then) of the ancient times...those accomplishments remain astounding, and when reading about them, they should inspire a certain amount of awe.
enoque
I'm really happy about the New 7 Wonders.
For various reasons:
a) People around the world are discussing about this, knowing different cultures is allways a good thing;
b) The promoters of the concept are from Portugal, which is something I must be happy about;
c) The contest is going to be held in Lisbon, capital city of Portugal.
For those who are thinking that I'm too much of a patriot I must say that I'm only glad that someone from a small "corner" of the world managed to create all this fuss about the New 7 Wonders.

Ciao.
reddishblue
Tembe wrote:

I am not sure, tell me if you find the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!
I think the majority of them are in pieces now though, except the Great Pyramid, which is still standing strong.
Is it true that the Collosus fell only about 50 years after being built. Talk about crappy workmanship. Razz
But now I am going to Wikipedia to see about The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, I really know nothing about it.
corridor_writers
Interesting, I always thought that the Taj Mahal was one of the seven. Apparently it is not, and only appears as a potential 8th (along with the Cairo Citadel, Ely Cathedral and Cluny Abbey.)

Thanks, now I know!!! Smile

There is also a nice chart telling the status of these marvels on Wikipedia for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Wonders_of_the_World
reddishblue
corridor_writers wrote:
Interesting, I always thought that the Taj Mahal was one of the seven. Apparently it is not, and only appears as a potential 8th (along with the Cairo Citadel, Ely Cathedral and Cluny Abbey.)

From my knowledge, the Taj Mahal really isn't all that old.

Wikipedia wrote:
The Taj Mahal (Hindi: ताज महल, Urdu: تاج محل) is a mausoleum located in Agra, India. The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan commissioned it as a mausoleum for his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Construction began in 1632 and was completed in approximately 1648.

So as you can see, it's hardly ancient, also, add the Great Wall of China to your list, I think its more amazing then some of the 7.
nilsmo
The 7 wonders of the world are just an arbitrary list of great buildings.
corridor_writers
reddishblue wrote:
....also, add the Great Wall of China to your list, I think its more amazing then some of the 7.

Agreed!! How did THIS get left off the list! Smile

nilsmo wrote:
The 7 wonders of the world are just an arbitrary list of great buildings.

Who was it who decided that the existing list would be the 7 wonders of the world? Your not kidding it is arbitrary. Seems to me like some of the most amazing wonders of the world got left off the list. Smile
medievalman26
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world#Seven_Wonders_of_the_Ancient_World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world#Seven_Wonders_lists_about_the_Middle_Ages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world#Modern_lists

I figured this would be better than typing them in one by one. It also provides where I got my information from so enjoy I guess.
corridor_writers
medievalman26 wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world#Seven_Wonders_of_the_Ancient_World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world#Seven_Wonders_lists_about_the_Middle_Ages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders_of_the_world#Modern_lists

I figured this would be better than typing them in one by one. It also provides where I got my information from so enjoy I guess.

Ahh yes! This is more like it! I agree that each time period has it's own marvels - so it is nice to see the wonders of the world are not replaced, upstaged, or forgotten, but are added to in such a way to break it down by time period.

Thanks for the links! Now I have a huge list of places to visit when (or rather if) I ever retire. Smile
Soltair
Has the new wonders been released? I have voted last month... Though I can't remember who I voted for exactly. Probably because all of these things are so marvelous...

I must say however that I have a particular taste for the Kremlin. I think this is something very aesthetic and nice... I like it a lot. Wink
medievalman26
corridor_writers wrote:
Ahh yes! This is more like it! I agree that each time period has it's own marvels - so it is nice to see the wonders of the world are not replaced, upstaged, or forgotten, but are added to in such a way to break it down by time period.

Thanks for the links! Now I have a huge list of places to visit when (or rather if) I ever retire. Smile

Thanks for the acknowledgment but the real thanks should go to the people who actually wrote the list(I did help with most of the ancient and most of the Medieval ones and I don't remember if I contributed to the modern).
neosree
Soltair wrote:
Has the new wonders been released? I have voted last month... Though I can't remember who I voted for exactly. Probably because all of these things are so marvelous...

I must say however that I have a particular taste for the Kremlin. I think this is something very aesthetic and nice... I like it a lot. Wink

Yes it is released, and as I expected TajMahal is there.

New 7 wonders in alphebetical order:
Chichen Itza (Mexico)
Christ the Redeemer (Brazil)
Great Wall of China
Machu Picchu (Peru)
Petra (Jordan)
Roman Colosseum ( Italy)
Taj Mahal (India)

Great Pyramid of Giza is the honorary candidate and is in fact the 8th wonder.(There was no voting for it - and I personally support that idea)

but in the end, I really miss Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower.

Link to detailed article on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Seven_Wonders_of_the_World
anonymous21
Great Wall of China, The Pyramids of Egypt, The Statue in Brazil, The Lighthouse, etc.

I only guessed these answers but I'm pretty sure that they are one of the Seven Wonders of the World...

The Philippine's Banaue Rice Terraces were not one of it anymore because of the abuse of people who try to build other things inside it instead of nurturing and cherishing its oldness and uniqueness... Sad
illegalhost
Yeah, the Great Pyramid is really awesome, i mean, like there are like so many Kingd competing against each other to make the biggest pyramid and the grandest... how do they do that??!?!??! but i really pity the poor folks who HAD no choice but to pull the weight behind their backs and stack them up one by one.... i think that technology back then was really ingenious!!!! hats off to the architect who came up with them...... and its great also knowing that we have archaelogists who knew how to decode the pyramid, or ELSE the mystery would not be solved.... and that its great to know all these hidden knowledge about the Pyramid..... The Great Pyramid remains one of the Great wonders of the WORLD!!!! Wink
Vrythramax
neosree wrote:

Yes it is released, and as I expected TajMahal is there.

New 7 wonders in alphebetical order:
Chichen Itza (Mexico)
Christ the Redeemer (Brazil)
Great Wall of China
Machu Picchu (Peru)
Petra (Jordan)
Roman Colosseum ( Italy)
Taj Mahal (India)

Great Pyramid of Giza is the honorary candidate and is in fact the 8th wonder.(There was no voting for it - and I personally support that idea)

but in the end, I really miss Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower.

Link to detailed article on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Seven_Wonders_of_the_World

Well the Statue of Liberty (of which there are 2) was a gift from France (and they only sent the arm which was placed in a park in New York until citizens raised the money to bring the rest over and construct it), and the Eiffel Tower built as an exhibit for (I think) the 1917 Worlds Fair....and was meant to be torn down. Sad
corridor_writers
illegalhost wrote:
Yeah, the Great Pyramid is really awesome, i mean, like there are like so many Kingd competing against each other to make the biggest pyramid and the grandest... how do they do that??!?!??! but i really pity the poor folks who HAD no choice but to pull the weight behind their backs and stack them up one by one.... i think that technology back then was really ingenious!!!! hats off to the architect who came up with them...... and its great also knowing that we have archaelogists who knew how to decode the pyramid, or ELSE the mystery would not be solved.... and that its great to know all these hidden knowledge about the Pyramid..... The Great Pyramid remains one of the Great wonders of the WORLD!!!! Wink

Didn’t you know – the great pyramids were build by Aliens?
Just Kidding. Smile Being a hard-core Stargate SG1 fan I had to throw that in. Wink
That aside I do agree that they are both an ancient marvel as well as an modern one.
viraj

The Taj Mahal (Devanagari: ताज महल, Nastaliq: تاج محل), a mausoleum located in Agra, India was built under Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal.

The Taj Mahal (also "the Taj") is considered as the finest example of Mughal architecture, a style that combines elements from Persian, Turkish, Indian, and Islamic architectural styles. In 1983, Taj Mahal became a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was cited as "the jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world's heritage."

While the white domed marble mausoleum is most familiar, Taj Mahal is an integrated complex of structures and were completed around 1648. Ustad Ahmad Lahauri is generally considered as the principal designer of Taj Mahal.
viraj
corridor_writers wrote:

There is also a nice chart telling the status of these marvels on Wikipedia for those interested:

But now you will be more surprised to know that Taj Mahal is included in the modern 7 wonders of the world published recently.

Hey...!! Isn't that great..
corridor_writers
viraj wrote:
corridor_writers wrote:

But now you will be more surprised to know that Taj Mahal is included in the modern 7 wonders of the world published recently.

Hey...!! Isn't that great..

As it should be. Smile))
rshanthakumar
rather than the buildings that the man made.. it is the man himself a wonder. He or she is pretty different in every country you visit...and odd! what behavior? sometimes idiotic sometimes silly! sometimes so wonderful you wish he is crowned the most wonderful of all natural wonders on this earth!
viraj
rshanthakumar wrote:
rather than the buildings that the man made.. it is the man himself a wonder. He or she is pretty different in every country you visit...and odd! what behavior? sometimes idiotic sometimes silly! sometimes so wonderful you wish he is crowned the most wonderful of all natural wonders on this earth!

Absolutely, Humab mind is the most important wonder in this world. It can make n number of wonders it like with its enormous potential.
corridor_writers
viraj wrote:
rshanthakumar wrote:

Absolutely, Humab mind is the most important wonder in this world. It can make n number of wonders it like with its enormous potential.

Ahh, but the human mind also has examples of the worst things on earth as well. We are at the same time the best of this planet - and the worst. I would have to say that we as an entity do not belong on this list - but rather those accomplishments of ours that are truly astounding do.

They do have a list of man's non-wonders......they are called the Darwin Awards. Smile