FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD Ripping

Crosser
I need a software that can rip dvds ( full dvds and .vob files ). The most important thing is that it should produce good quality files and must be easy to use. I don't care if the compression takes a long time because I can sleep while the process is running.
Can someone explain to me the difference between DivX and Xvid?
rajhank
U can use the following Softwares:-

DVDDecrypter and AutoGK

For Advanced Ripping,

USe Virtual DUb
Chris24
DVDFAB platinum is pretty good as well, dvd decrypter is just as good. You really can't go wrong with either program, although dvdfab is not free. Also dvd shrink is another program that will work as well, but you should really do some more research on using these programs if you decide to use them.
Crosser
Thanks for the softwares that you people have mentioned. Can you post a link where I can download these softwares?
deemon
I have had a lot of trouble trying to rip dvds. This thread has proved to be quite helpful.

Thank you guys, good job!
eznet
If you want good and easy I would recommend that you check out DVD Shrink. I have been really impressed with it and best of all it is Free, so if you don't like it, don't use it - it will be free to try. It is easy to learn and will pretty much do all the way from ripping to burning... I also like that it allows manual control, if you so choose and also the fact that you can place the files in an ISO if you would prefer that to burning. I personally rip mine to ISO and watch them from my computer until I get tired of them (I have video out to my TV from the computer so I am actually watching them on there) thus eliminating the need of wasting discs.

Just my opinion though.... oh yea, and did I mention its FREE!
orcaz
hey, is it possible to rip a video from a DVD into hard disk readable by Windows Media?
missdixy
eznet wrote:
If you want good and easy I would recommend that you check out DVD Shrink. I have been really impressed with it and best of all it is....

I agree with this. Also, make sure you run a decrypter in the bckground, like DVD43 or DVDFAB HD Decrypter
darkmetal123
No one has explained the difference between Xvid and DivX yet.

I think these are some compression procedures but I don't know much about them.

So someone please explain.
Bones
darkmetal123 wrote:
No one has explained the difference between Xvid and DivX yet.

I think these are some compression procedures but I don't know much about them.

So someone please explain.

XviD and DivX really don't have anything to do with ripping dvd's. they are codecs that you would/could use to re-encode a dvd movie to an .avi video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX_Media_Format#DivX_Media_Format_.28DMF.29

XviD is basically a cross platform, open source version of DivX. The XviD codec is also much better for quality than DivX, and is compatible with DivX players as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

As for ripping dvd's the only tools I use are dvd decrypter and dvd shrink (for some dvd's you will need dvd fab decrypter)
For more info on anything video, check out
www.videohelp.com

It has all the tools and info you will ever need for everything video related
freelanceCMS
Hey mate,

I use DVD Decrypter along with the DVD Shrink program.

DVD Decrypter bypasses the harder area protection, making it able to be ripped successfully, the only problem with this is DVD Decrypter extracts the files from the DVD Movie disk and doesn't allow for compression. I then use DVD Shrink to open the previously Decoded DVD Files and reauthor the movie, to the options that i want. DVD Shrink allows for the compression settings which is even more helpful as you are able to fit more DVD Movie files onto your computer.

Hope this helps
ganesh
If you are a Linux geek and/or you like finer controls over the rip output details, I would suggest that you use HandBrake: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

HandBrake transcodes MPEG-2 to H.264 or XVid. H264 offers better compression ratio and quality over XVid but right now, it is not playable on the DivX player types. It is a really great codec and I should say seeing is believing.

If you are going to play your video on a computer only, chuck DivX and XVid and move over to H264. On second thoughts, I would still support XVid since it is open source Very Happy
rekluzz
A DVD Ripper program was offered for free just yesterday on GiveawayoftheDay http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/aimersoft-dvd-ripper-rerun/
You had to have downloaded and installed it yesterday to get the free deal though.
Todays program is DVD Copy. Maybe you could use that one. It's on the main page today.
Bones
rekluzz wrote:
GiveawayoftheDay http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/aimersoft-dvd-ripper-rerun/

That looks like a pretty cool website. Thanks for the link Very Happy
daney
Use RipIt4Me.
It a complete soft that do all and correctly.
you could rip a DVD completely but it takes time doin it.
So be patient
PanicZone
There Are Many DVD Decoders Around Just Google It Thats The Easiest Thing To Do In A Time Like This You Will Get the Results A Lot Quicker!
lordwarlord
the best way to rip a dvd is with DVD Shrink
republik
Please don't Copy and Paste without using quote tags wrote:
elby CloneDVD!22 2 software copies movies in unparalleled picture quality. If it's only the main movie or a complete DVD 13 elby CloneDVD!22 software compresses even long footage in brilliant quality and at high speed: A special transcoding technology compresses your choice of DVD titles according to your audio and language selection automatically to a freely adjustable target size. Our unique Film Strip assistant will guide you step by step through all settings. With the help of the Video Preview you select the desired DVD titles and decide if you want to trim individual chapters. Quality bars show the direct influence of the title and language selection on the quality of the movie copy. Even beginners always keep track. Convince yourself and download the trial version now at clonedvd.net

a good program for burning is anydvd from slysoft.
a helpfull program is also dvd shrink, its a free program
sanalskumar
Crosser wrote:
I need a software that can rip dvds ( full dvds and .vob files ). The most important thing is that it should produce good quality files and must be easy to use. I don't care if the compression takes a long time because I can sleep while the process is running.
Can someone explain to me the difference between DivX and Xvid?

I think the most useful program for you will be 'Easy DVD to vcd\svcd\divx converter' Different versions are available... I fount it very useful.Simple and powerful!!
Crosser
Hello guys. Some of you have mentioned DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. None of these tools have the option of RIPPING the DVD. By ripping I mean being able to convert the DVD into one single .avi file.

DVD Decrypter allows you to make a copy from your DVD while it is in the DVD Drive. The copy is exactly the same as the DVD which means same size too. It has to be used when the DVD is copy protected. So DVD Decrypter 'decrypts' the DVD and allows you to copy it.

DVD Shrink reduces the size of the DVD, it does not rip the DVD. It is used when you want to decrease the size of a DVD in order to burn it.

I guess I would have to try Easy DVD.
snowboardalliance
Crosser wrote:
Hello guys. Some of you have mentioned DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. None of these tools have the option of RIPPING the DVD. By ripping I mean being able to convert the DVD into one single .avi file.

DVD Decrypter allows you to make a copy from your DVD while it is in the DVD Drive. The copy is exactly the same as the DVD which means same size too. It has to be used when the DVD is copy protected. So DVD Decrypter 'decrypts' the DVD and allows you to copy it.

DVD Shrink reduces the size of the DVD, it does not rip the DVD. It is used when you want to decrease the size of a DVD in order to burn it.

I guess I would have to try Easy DVD.

I started messing around and used AutoGK to convert to .avi

Unfortunately, it's super confusing for TV shows. Like I tried my Office DVD and found that each file has like 2 to 5 different things, but they all look the same, except some end up darker looking at the end and then also, some files come with multiple episodes.

Any tips for getting some TV episodes from a DVD to an .avi?
eznet
As far as converting your rip to say a DivX or Avi, if you want a really, really, really, really easy program then WinAVI may be for you... Unfortunately it is not free - but it does a great job. If I don't feel like muddling with the settings on my conversion too much, it is what I use. It is great cause it can easily (and quickly) convert to pretty much any format - including iPod, Cellphone, PSP and some others... worth a check.

AutoGK is a great program, I use it all the time. For some users AutoGK does presents some hurdles for the less technically inclined... so... if you try it and don't like it, you are likely not alone... learning curve is a bit higher.

I use DVD43 for my decrypter although it doesn't seem to have the abilities that AnyDVD had... but at least it works in Vista (BOO!!! VISTA = FAT, UGLY HOG)...
tony
rajhank wrote:

DVDDecrypter and AutoGK

For Advanced Ripping,

USe Virtual DUb

whoa! virtualdub can rip DVDs?? how do u do that? i hv used virtual dub for a long time but have never seen or even known of this feature. . wow! teach teach pls pls...
eznet
tony wrote:
rajhank wrote:

DVDDecrypter and AutoGK

For Advanced Ripping,

USe Virtual DUb

whoa! virtualdub can rip DVDs?? how do u do that? i hv used virtual dub for a long time but have never seen or even known of this feature. . wow! teach teach pls pls...

I certainly cannot say for sure, but just from the working mechanisms of VirtualDub, I would imagine a stream capture... aka playing the dvd and capturing/encoding the out stream.
sanalskumar
I think you guys are messing with BIG things....
I used to to be a fan of Easy DVD to vcd/svcd/divx converter for long. And i am very much pleased with it. Still using a new version of the same. I will say its more simple and more powerful. Everything we need is just a copyrighted or non copyrighted DVD and just hit the rip button and let it complete the task......
Chris24
I jjust got the new dvd fab platinum and it kicks butt. It does everything, copy dvds, ipod, psp etc, etc. You have to pay but I would without a doubt say the price is worth it...
vrock
I have been using VirtualDubMod to compress dvd files. Although there are other softwares to compress dvd files, I have chosen VirtualDubMod as my favourite because it has many audio and video filters. My favourite video filter is the resize that can be used to change the size of the video. I also use the cropping feature to delete any black borders before I compress the video because black borders cover the image.
My question is that is there any way to select an entire dvd instead of selecting individual .vob files for compression? When I compress .vob files one at a time I find it very tedious and sometimes the compressed files have audio delay ( the audio is not synchoronous with the video ). So please suggest a way to compress the entire dvd to one single file ( in VirtualDubMod ).