FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Deleting topics

Loghete
Though I love Frihost and its services, there's one thing that has always been annoying me. You find a nice discussion, post something in it. You come back the next day to do the same, and you think "Hey, where's that interesting topic I posted in the other day?" and you go look in your post history. Nothing. Not a trace of your post, or the whole topic of that matter.

And sometimes you can't come up of something wrong with that topic. Why was it deleted? Can't you mods just lock the topic, isn't that enough?

Though sometimes it's more obvious why you deleted it, though there wasn't any real reason. Like in a topic where we discussed how useful cracks (the computer ones) can be when you not want to take out your CD every time you want to play a game. Was that against the rules? I can't find any point in the rules saying that.

So, my suggestion is that you remove less topics, and lock them instead, and tell the reason for the locking. Then we get to find out why it has been locked, and in some cases maybe we can convince to to open it up again and we can continue our discussion =D

For an even better community.
Thanks
-Petter
Bockman
Loghete wrote:
And sometimes you can't come up of something wrong with that topic. Why was it deleted? Can't you mods just lock the topic, isn't that enough?

We do lock some topics. others, that clearly offend our rules are simple removed (not deleted).

Loghete wrote:
Like in a topic where we discussed how useful cracks (the computer ones) can be when you not want to take out your CD every time you want to play a game. Was that against the rules? I can't find any point in the rules saying that.

There IS a point for the rules stating it and ofc it IS against our rules. The noCD's you're talking about are simply cracks, and those are not allowed.
Even having the original CD, that protection is there for a reason and it's illegal to bypass it (hence, not allowed @ Frihost).

Loghete wrote:
So, my suggestion is that you remove less topics, and lock them instead, and tell the reason for the locking. Then we get to find out why it has been locked, and in some cases maybe we can convince to to open it up again and we can continue our discussion =D

OK, now for the ontopic Wink :

We try and remove the least topics possible. However, when these are in clear violation of our rules, they are removed plain and simple. usually these removals originate an AWIT (depending on the severity of the offence), and the user in question is warned (so, the reason for the removal IS given to the offender).
When a lock is possible, we go with that option, so the theme is visible to other users (you can see A LOT of these in this subforum).
There has been more than one case of reopened topics, even the "deleted" ones. But i can assure you that it needs a very good argument to be reinstated (since posts are not removed lightly as you think. A reason is always stated (if not in a AWIT, in the post/topic itself)).

This policy is very common in forums and is a baseline for almost every forum's rules (although some go with plain delete, which we don't agree) and is not likely to be changed.

I'll tell you another thing though. .if we were to lock topics instead of removing them... this whole forum would be a complete mess and unpleasant to read... not to mention the search function that would be a lot harder to use.

Be Well Cool
Loghete
Quote:
There IS a point for the rules stating it and ofc it IS against our rules. The noCD's you're talking about are simply cracks, and those are not allowed.
Even having the original CD, that protection is there for a reason and it's illegal to bypass it (hence, not allowed @ Frihost).

Right... well, just like 2 mins ago a topic about how to use torrents (which I was writing a reply to) got deleted. Torrents are not illegal. There are hundreds of legal uses for torrents, I know lots and lots of indie programmers and movie makers use torrents for sharing their work.

Just because we're talking about something which might lead to something which may lead to something illegal doesn't mean it's illegal. Then just talking about.... money, would be illegal. Wink
Bondings
Loghete wrote:
Quote:

Right... well, just like 2 mins ago a topic about how to use torrents (which I was writing a reply to) got deleted. Torrents are not illegal. There are hundreds of legal uses for torrents, I know lots and lots of indie programmers and movie makers use torrents for sharing their work.

Just because we're talking about something which might lead to something which may lead to something illegal doesn't mean it's illegal. Then just talking about.... money, would be illegal. Wink

All posts/topics of that user were removed (by me). His other posts indicated that it was indeed about illegal stuff and they were very poor quality.

By the way, we usually don't allow discussion of torrents, even though they aren't illegal.
Loghete
Well okay, I see.
Thanks for clearing it all up. Smile