FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

remote shutdown

aningbo
I'm not able to shutdown PC remotely on my LAN. has anyone any experience regarding this. I have full admin rights yet i get "access denied" in Dos mode when i use this command:

Code:
shutdown -s -m \P-56

I'm on another system P-51 with full admin rights. any ideas?
aningbo
bump.
Jaan
Firewall?
What OS?
yjwong
Is the Administrator group allowed to shut down remotely? Are you running Windows XP Professional?

You can check whether a user is allowed to shut down remotely by accessing the group policy editor. (Start > Run > gpedit.msc). On the left pane, navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > User Rights Assignment > Shut down the computer.

I'm not sure, but this link might be related.
billgertz
hmm.. is this the first time that this thing happened? if you always do remote shutdown on that pc, then someone might have changed the configuration of your remote PC. do a system restore on the last day that you were able to shutdown your PC remotely. I hope it helps.
aningbo
windowsXP pro with the default firewall.

yjwong, i've tried exactly the same before but that doesn't help and i happen to read that article too earlier. no help from there. just being access denied!!! or timed out.

i've tried various softwares but the same thing occurs. i have full administrative priviledge on all the systems of course. i've tried with both the admin accounts turn on too.
orcaz
The computer you want to shut down might have blocked it, which is quite simple to do so through Administrative Tools ---> Local Security Policy. The other reason may be because ur network administrator doesn't allow it?
Arnie
Is the notation of the command correct? Try excluding the \ in the computer name.
billgertz
Arnie wrote:
Is the notation of the command correct? Try excluding the \ in the computer name.

I agree with this one. Smile i tried it my own. my co employee freaked out when his pc went off.
aningbo
try excluding that hah? thats interesting... lets see....

i know there's something hidden... i'm the net admin u can say dude.
kizarop
your syntax could be bad, for example we want to turn computer named "alien" in 0 sec and comment: oops save the energy.Syntax: "shutdown.exe /s /t 0 /m \\alien /c "oops, save the energy" (incl. quotas)
For full list of commands try "shutdown /?" in command line.
For access denided: try to log on as admin on your target computer , you must know admin password and add this in control panel -> user account -> your account and look for "manage my network passwords" add user and password (must be admin for thing you want to do). After this you should be able to remote shutdown.

There is another thing in windows (nt +) that is useful to kill processes in remote computer "taskkill" and processes viewer "tasklist" , of course for full list command use /? , to kill procces you must know (or have): admin rights, id of process you want to kill with taskill (use tasklist to check ids)
Arnie
Actually omitting the \\ worked for me. Just alien (or Xp127, in my case) did the job.
internetjobs
you can use this command, if you are using domain... then only use can shutdown, and logoin with domain administrator rights... then it is simply possible. otherwise try to use simple remote shutdown software...
bullet15963
oh thats great, ive been working on this for a long time and it was as simple as removing the slashes befor the computer name