FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash Game Feedback

Overall, how do you find the game?
Excellent!
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Good
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Okay
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Not Very Good
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Terrible!
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

ninjakannon
I've made a Flash game and I'd like some feedback on it before I add highscores - otherwise the scores people get may not have been on the same game system and people may have unfair advantages.

Find the game here: ninjakannon.frih.net/?pageid=5.

Any feedback would be great, tell me what you like, what you dislike and please suggest improvements.

Thanks! Very Happy

EDIT:
Highscores added, feedback is still very much wanted and accepted. Thanks.
brokenadvice
I like the game, but there is a minor bug. The text does not quite fit in the text boxes, so the end of Level and life is cut off so it approximately reads "Leve" and "Lif". Just extend the text boxes a little more and you will be fine.
ninjakannon
brokenadvice wrote:
I like the game, but there is a minor bug. The text does not quite fit in the text boxes, so the end of Level and life is cut off so it approximately reads "Leve" and "Lif". Just extend the text boxes a little more and you will be fine.

Hmm... This displays correctly for me. I would assume that means you don't have the correct font installed, or I may be wrong. I'm using 'Agency FB' - however this is quite a common font, do you have that or not? If not I'll have to see what others say on this, but it's definitely something that needs attending to.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Very Happy
Azmo
Agency FB is not a standard font, you have to download/buy it, a good idea would be to either make the text an image if you wanna keep ur font, or choose a font that goes as standard.
ninjakannon
Azmo wrote:
Agency FB is not a standard font, you have to download/buy it, a good idea would be to either make the text an image if you wanna keep ur font, or choose a font that goes as standard.

Oh! I thought it was, hence why I used it.

I usually break down text into an image, however I have some dynamic textboxes that use this font so I decided that if someone didn't have Agency FB I would rather they saw everything in one font than see the default in the dynamic textboxes and Agency FB where I had turned the text into an image.

I will change the font I'm using now.
Azmo
hehe great Smile was a nice game otherwise tho Smile
ninjakannon
Thank you very much, Azmo! Very Happy

I've gone one step better than changing the font, I've embedded it - something that I have never done before. Now even people without the font installed will be able to see it as Agency FB because the font information is stored in the SWF file. I did consider using 'Courier New' as it is a default windows font.
Azmo
ok shouldnt be a problem anymore then Smile
reddishblue
It was quite boring for me, a typical Asteroids game without the asteriods, also, from what I saw, and I went 'till level 3, there aren't any powerups, or any rewards, I suggest you put some in.
ninjakannon
reddishblue wrote:
It was quite boring for me, a typical Asteroids game without the asteriods, also, from what I saw, and I went 'till level 3, there aren't any powerups, or any rewards, I suggest you put some in.

Yeah, I see that.

No there aren't any powerups - I did think of adding some in, but wasn't sure what they should do. What would you like to see? And how should I 'jazz it up', do you think?

Between, and including, levels 6 and 10 there are two enemies and from level 11 to 15 you face three enemies at once. Do you think I should add in more enemies sooner, to make it more interesting?
reddishblue
Powerups like Improved Guns and Speed are always good Very Happy
ninjakannon
reddishblue wrote:
Powerups like Improved Guns and Speed are always good Very Happy

Indeed they are.

I think I can build that in without too much hassle. Unfortunately, I'll not be able to update the game for at least 2 weeks because I'm so busy at the moment. I probably shouldn't even be on FriHost, but nothing can keep me away from here! Razz

What do you think about adding more enemies in lower levels?
saratdear
I have to say that the game is nice, it loaded very fast. Then, at the start, I lost control a bit, but that wasn't too bad. I think it gets slightly repetitive. Other than that, it is fairly OK!

I would give this game a 7.5/10
ninjakannon
saratdear wrote:
I have to say that the game is nice, it loaded very fast. Then, at the start, I lost control a bit, but that wasn't too bad. I think it gets slightly repetitive. Other than that, it is fairly OK!

I would give this game a 7.5/10

The more you play, the easier the control gets. I've pretty much mastered it now, as I did a lot of testing before adding it to my website.

You're right about the repetitiveness and I suppose that's the main thing that I need to address. Hopefully adding in powerups, perhaps a new type of enemy (with a different style of movement / attacking) should help with this. I also think I will either add in more multiple enemies in the lower levels or make the enemies easier to kill, thus getting you to the higher levels faster. I'll decide when I get around to editing it.

Thanks, saratdear (and you too, reddishblue) for the feedback so far. It's greatly appreciated! Very Happy
Ecthelion
Nice game, other and more powerups would be nice indeed, but what you have is already good too.

It would also be nice to be able to move sideways ^^ that would make bullet-dodging way easier Smile
ninjakannon
Ecthelion wrote:
Nice game, other and more powerups would be nice indeed, but what you have is already good too.

Thank you. I added the extra point powerups earlier today (there are 3, one for 10 Points, one for 30 and one for 100). I will add some more powerups to the game soon. I'm readying it for a highscores system at the moment.

Ecthelion wrote:
It would also be nice to be able to move sideways ^^ that would make bullet-dodging way easier

I think what I've got in place now adds more of a challenge. I've reduced the number of levels to 10 and I managed to complete it with the current game setup (so I may increase this at a later date).

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I'll post here later when I've added more powerups and a highscore system to see what you think.
Psycho_X52
Wicked sick. I'm just spinnin' around and around, or speeding from left to right again and again and again....then I start spinning. When I'm outside the screen I shoot and bullets appear from the other side Very Happy
ninjakannon
Psycho_X52 wrote:
Wicked sick. I'm just spinnin' around and around, or speeding from left to right again and again and again....then I start spinning. When I'm outside the screen I shoot and bullets appear from the other side Very Happy

Sooo... You don't like it?

Learning to control the spaceship may take you a few minutes, after that it gets better. There's more skill involved in the game than you might initially think.
dayveday
It won't work at all for me! It keeps saying that it couldn't load properly (even though the status bar moves up to 100%). Not sure if you've had this error before! Shocked
ninjakannon
dayveday wrote:
It won't work at all for me! It keeps saying that it couldn't load properly (even though the status bar moves up to 100%). Not sure if you've had this error before! Shocked

Hehe sorry. That's because I'm half way through adding some security so that you can't cheat when I implement the highscore system.

I should have this fixed soon though, it just isn't finished yet. Razz
Dragate
Not that bad at all!!

very good infact, but not excellent, nothing makes me want to play this game and stick to it. It's kind of hard to get used to...

Very well made, not very creative in the sense to make people want to play. There's also random pop ups//alerts from the website. Be sure to fix that.

I like how you did the whole aspect where your ship can glide a bit since it's outer space and all when you turn and stuff, very well thought out.

Suggestions:
I don't really know, this type of game, is just not for me. Some people might like it, like those ppl who have time and play flash games XD that was a joke by the way, but yeah. I'm just not one of those people to like and get addicted to a little flash game~

could be very useful when I'm bored though~

In conclusion, Not excellent, but very very close.
ninjakannon
Wow, thanks a lot for the feedback, Dragate!

Sorry about those alerts by the way - they're for testing. What you're seeing there is an array containing the last 10 changes to your points, but I think I'm going to scrap the reason for needing that anyway. Razz It's just there for testing purposes at the moment.

You are right, it needs something to make you want to play it. I hope the highscores will give people a sense of competition when playing and make them more interested in actually playing the game. I also think that adding a greater variety of powerups will add interest, but I'm not sure how much more this would make you want to play.
ninjakannon
Okay, I've spent time adding highscores, tidying up a few aspects and speeding up loading times.

The game should run more smoothly now and I'm pretty proud of my first ever working highscores in Flash - especially as it hardly took me any time to get up and running.

Admittedly I haven't added the powerups I'm promising; I hope to add these in the future. For now I'm going to leave the game as it is because I have other things to do. Razz

Of course, I still look forward to feedback as I will take it all into account when I do update it in the future.

Again, thank you to anyone who has already given me feedback. Wink
LukeakaDanish
I thought it was quite fun...like asteroids only for once its an advantage to fly about and move the ship

A classic in a new way

4/5 Smile
Teddy1
I really liked this very fun, power ups would definitely make this game 100% better i liked it alot though great work. even made it to 9th on the rankings Very Happy Laughing
Flakky
I am sorry to say but there are many improvements that can be made, first of all I thought the game was running laggy, or it is my pc, or the fps was put low on purpose. I'd wish to see some more speed in it. Smile
ninjakannon
Flakky wrote:
I am sorry to say but there are many improvements that can be made, first of all I thought the game was running laggy, or it is my pc, or the fps was put low on purpose. I'd wish to see some more speed in it. Smile

That's odd, I haven't had any lag when playing it at all! If you don't often get lag on flash games then I'll have to look into changing the system about a bit. I've gotten better at programming lately and I might be able to tweak this around a bit.
{name here}
If I found this on Newgrounds I'd give it a 3/5. It's a decent asteroids-like clone but the projectiles seem too small and the rocket seems to be sort of sluggish in its movements (I could control the actual "A" rocket quicker and easier). There seemed to be a small misrendering of the score in the middle as well, but that's not really much of an issue (it seemed shifted a little under it and overlapped "score"). You might want to increase the length of time the powerups appear as well.

It's better than I can do, but I do feel that there's a bit to improve.
Magicman
This is actually a pretty good game. Theres no sound in the game though so that could be added. The ship's controls felt a little too sensitive. Also there are a few graphical errors where text appears under the bars in a few areas. Overall its good, better than I can do cause I actually just started learning flash.
ninjakannon
I know what you mean by oversensitive controls although I don't feel that this is a bad thing. I wanted the ship to be relatively tricky to maneuver to add a greater level of difficulty to the game. If it was to easy to control the spaceship then it would be too easy to destroy enemies.

You do improve with time so naturally I'm quite good now. But I suppose most people won't play this much so perhaps it would be good to make controls easier. Or add difficulty levels?

I have other stuff on at the moment so while I won't be updating this game for a while everything you say is going in and if I make another game I'll have a better idea of what is required and what the best thing to do in certain situations would be.

Good luck with learning flash by the way Magicman! And thanks for the feedback. Smile