FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WWII Assignment

RiCtee
Hi everyone!! Well I got a major assignment for History - counts towards nearly all of the coursework. I have to research on a particular topic that is connected to World War II.

I just want to ask for some opinion on any good topics to research on. The research has to be quite specific and unique. Some topics the teacher as examples are: Pearl Harbour, The Kokoda Trail, D-Day, Blitzkrieg, The Final Solution, Battle of Britian, etc.
Sharpe
Dont forget Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge, Operation Torch, Afrika Korps vs Desert rats, Stalingrad.

And that is just a small part of what happened in Europe. :wink:
Since I come from the Netherlands that interests me a bit more.
sandyclaus
How about the Atomic Bomb? That one event shaped everything after. Didya know that some Japanese claim to have detonated an atomic bomb in Korea just as teh Americans were hitting Hiroshima? That is a disputed, but curious side story in the final days of the war.

Codebreaking is another great topic. You can trace the development of the computer right through the cracking of the enigma code if you want to.

Then there is the birth of Isreal, another consequence of the war echoing today...

Maybe do teh paper on the echos of WWII that are with us still.
maletz
i thin the atomic bomb has not chenge the war, change the world.

stalingrad, operation trondheim, iasi - chisinau
Drawingguy
Perhaps, instead of choosing a cryptic, relatively unknown (but still really interesting) topic such as decoding, you should go for something that you will have the ability to research. Topics like hiroshima, the holocaust, and pearl harbor all have lots of literature written on them, and they are such widely known subjects that there are boundless websites that are dedicated to them. Try looking for a book on decoding in your local library. This isn't a shot at the poster above, I'm just saying that if it's such a major portion of the grade, you might want to have ample resources.
RiCtee
Thank you everyone for your opinions. Helped me kick start the task. Anyway I'm looking into the technology during the war. Which is quite a broad topic to cover, so I'm looking for some smaller, specific topic in the aspect of technology.

Drawingguy wrote:
Perhaps, instead of choosing a cryptic, relatively unknown (but still really interesting) topic such as decoding, you should go for something that you will have the ability to research.

I agree with that. Sometimes doing something the easier way is overall better than going for huge, time-consuming tasks.
Dean_The_Great
If you want to use technology as a topic, there are all sorts of really great things you could talk about:

1.) German Engineering - Germany developed all sorts of very cool technology for WWII, such as the first general purpose machine gun, the Maschinengewehr 34. They also invented the u-boat, the first submarine, which could actually be a topic on itself.

2.) Aircraft - There were all sorts of new things founded in WWII when it came to aviation. Jet planes were used for the first time, as well as Radar. It was also the first time rockets were used, before that they only dropped bombs.

So there are a couple of ideas for ya, but going with technology is a great idea, as wars throughout history have often brought out some of the most incredible technological breakthroughs. Actually, if you're writing an essay, you could probably comment about that in reference to the human condition. But I don't want to do ALL your work for ya. =D

Happy writing!
Dalv87
Napalm, though that would be kind of limited, maybe "advances in weaponry" so you could do the atomic bomb, napalm, and other things all together. Do you have to write a paper for this, how much information do you need?
Coclus
I would write about the conflict in the phillipines in particular, how they were taken from the US, and then reenvaded by American troops..
turbowolf
Don't forget the battlefields in Pacific Ocean, where USA and Japan threw themselves into a series of brutal battles. Especially Iwo Jima, The most brutal battle in the history of USA.

RiCtee wrote:
Hi everyone!! Well I got a major assignment for History - counts towards nearly all of the coursework. I have to research on a particular topic that is connected to World War II.

I just want to ask for some opinion on any good topics to research on. The research has to be quite specific and unique. Some topics the teacher as examples are: Pearl Harbour, The Kokoda Trail, D-Day, Blitzkrieg, The Final Solution, Battle of Britian, etc.
Dean_The_Great
I assume at this point that whatever assignment you had must have been handed in, so what topic did you end up choosing?
polis
D-Day was bloody incredible (literally).

The biggest invasion in history: 250,000 men.

I just found very exciting waiting for the boat to land in beach, and see how the gate suddenly open and then hear the whistle so you have to run as hell...scare me out just to imagine.

Now, going to the russian front:

Waiting in stalingrad to face an enemy with Tanks, Air Fighters, high artillery, and a lot of very well trained german troops.

And you only have no more than 5 bullets, besides, you can't retreat cause you are consider as a traitor and your own army fires you back.

Of course we have to remember those who fought first: The Polish.

Polish fought well until the coward of Stalin backstabbed them. I'm not saying polish were beating germans, but Russians screwed up everything.
Zzz.
I've worked a lot on WW2, as a student. This part of our hstory simply wrote today's life in many aspects, we must consider to fully understand the planet we live on.

I also worked a lot on holocaust, specially economical consequences for the 3rd Reich. That was simply incredible. And do you know what ? There's no need to be a brain swapped dictator to produce exactly the same mistakes tahn 60 years before...

Currently i'm in lack for information regarding Nurnberg prosecutions. Facts are that for all regarding to this dark period of our history, information sometimes go in contradiction, depending which source it was coming from.

Even history analysts do not agree when speaking about a single event that might have changed the face of the world... or not ! ("what would have happen if on that day, Patton wore his green socks instead of his black ones ... ?" Well, You know what I mean... Wink ) so that it's becoming harder and harder to get an information that worths.

Well, to conclude : good luck for your research work.
tony
I think you should write your paper on the weaponry used. is it too broad?

i think the topic could be..if so, maybe the guns used on either sidE?

i think yo uhave much opportunity to find that right subject for your paper. that is because ww2 is so big an event; so much to write about ya!!
Zzz.
Concerning the weaponnry used during WW2, I know a certain excellent "Battlefield 1942" extension... But i'm currently told in my earphone that it would not be soooo... professionnal enough for a quality work on the subject Razz ... Wink
Vladalf
You should research for the 101st airborne division.
They changed the fate of the war.
Zzz.
101st Airborne ? Aren't there those boys who jumped over Ste Mère L'Eglise and one of whom has been hung over the church for a certain number of hours ?
Vladalf
Zzz. wrote:
101st Airborne ? Aren't there those boys who jumped over Ste Mère L'Eglise and one of whom has been hung over the church for a certain number of hours ?

Yes and they did many heroic deeds.
Fanghai44
PEARL HARBOR!!!!! YEEE!!!
Sharpe
Vladalf wrote:
You should research for the 101st airborne division.
They changed the fate of the war.

There are numerous things that changed the fate of war, not just the 101st. And the 101st is not that spectaculair imo, they did good things. But what unit did not perform heroicly at some point? Both Allied and Axis.
neroyert
If you want to do technology Hitler had all kinds of strange rocketry projects, including 'super-missiles' and fly saucer's, that might be worth looking at.
Zzz.
Yep ! That had not yet been pointed out but some of the researches that the axis lead during WW2 could have changed the fate of the war (Indeed I like this sentence man Very Happy), and probably not in the advantage of the allied forces.

Probably not a mistery if, at this time, most of the german scientists that fled germany during or after the war, worked not so long after for the Uncle Sam...

But i'm still wondering how RiCtee's work is going ? Has someone any news ?
geschichteonline
hi there

U should look at the 7 Info-films with the title "why we fight" from USA
Thats very good facts of battles in the WWII
The-Ron-Man
If you want a unique topic, I'd go with the propaganda around during WWII. Operation Cornflakes comes to mind. It's also always confusing to overly nationalistic folk when you tell them about the treatement of Japanese Americans.
soccerdudepm14
Best topic available these guys are pretty BA if you know what i mean
their paratroopers and have probably the most intense training there could possible be
you can watch videos about these guys on youtube under Band of brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP5bXy3kV6w

i jsut recently did a like 50 slide powerpoint on these men they are pretty awesome, not hard to find info either.
Gashead
I'm doing basically the same work as you lol.

I'll just write down what pops up in this topic haha ...
wetherell
I am trying to write a book (With reasonable success lol) about personalities who played a memorable role in World War II but whom history seems to have forgotten. If anyone can recommend individuals of merit I would be very appreciative.

I would be especially interested in hearing from non-Americans. An American myself I have a pretty good start in that regard but could use some direction for the rest of the world.