FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A new "bell" icon

Packfan104L4
We have the new posts and no new post icons on the left. What we should have is an icon that other forums have that shows the threads that you've posted in. This helps find threads easier on high traffic forums like this one. Usually it's done with the normal icon with like a black dot in the middle.
snowboardalliance
I agree that that is useful. Sometimes I only read a few threads every few days but I forget which threads I had posted in. I don't know if Bondings wants to take the time to install a mod just for this though.
Packfan104L4
What forum setup or comany runs this one? I could easily do like 5 mins of research...
tidruG
We use phpBB 2.x
I reckon you'd very easily find a mod for this.
However, Bondings doesn't really like using pre-made mods in MOST cases.
Try anyway.
ninjakannon
I'm all for this addition to the forum! Although don't just limit the icon possibilities to a bell - it could be something else... I'm just not quite sure what. Razz

But yeah, this is a good idea as it will ensure that you don't even have to read the title of a thread to know that you've posted in it or not.

One thing though, where would this icon appear? There is already the post status icon on the left of the topic name. So i would assume that this icon would appear just left of the topic name, but in the same cell of the table. Right?
Packfan104L4
No it would apear in PLACE of the current bell icon. It would be just an additional bell icon, well two actually. You would have:

-No new posts
-No new posts and you posted in it
ninjakannon
Packfan104L4 wrote:
No it would apear in PLACE of the current bell icon. It would be just an additional bell icon, well two actually. You would have:

-No new posts
-No new posts and you posted in it

Oh right, I see - now I'm even more in favour of this!

Is there any chance that it could be implemented? Or is this just another great idea that's going to be laid to waste? Razz I think it would be a great asset to this forum.
ocalhoun
I'm definately in favor of this, but I think it would probably be easier to implement if there were two icons for topics you've posted in.
Perhaps this will be implimented with the new theme I've heard talk about?
simplyw00x
Vbulletin has this feature and it's really quite useful. +1
Blaster
You can watch topics. It will send an email to you when ever someone posted in a topic.
snowboardalliance
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php?i=misc&mode=display&contrib_id=1617

I think I've used that one before and it does just what he said.
ninjakannon
Blaster wrote:
You can watch topics. It will send an email to you when ever someone posted in a topic.

Yeah, I automatically subscribe to threads I post in. However, this modification would ensure that you would know what threads you had posted in even when you were looking at the forum. You wouldn't even have to look at the thread name; although you might anyway to remind yourself of what it was you'd posted in.
alalex
i totally agree with this idea!
it would be a really good improvement for the forum!
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:

After responding to a few thousand topics, that can overwhelm one's ability to read all the e-mails it produces. It would be very nice to highlight responded-to topics as a part of normal browsing, without having to also have the e-mail page up as well, and having to switch between them.