FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Jet Engines

ssthanapati
Can anyone tell me for sure if water injection (thrust agumentation) is used in turboshaft and turboprop engines?
DoctorBeaver
From http://www.snowperformance.net/

Water injection was evaluated scientifically in the 1930.s by H. Ricardo who demonstrated that one can basically double the power output of an engine using water/methanol. The first widespread use was during WWII on supercharged and turbocharged aircraft. In 1942, the German Luftwaffe increased the horsepower of the Focke-Wulf 190D-9 fighter aircraft from 1776HP to 2240HP using 50/50% water/methanol injection. The allies soon followed by fitting the P51 Mustang and other high performance aircraft with water/methanol injection. Following the war, the turboprop aircraft industry used water/methanol injection and called it the "automatic power reserve system (APR)" for use in hot or high altitude take off. It surfaced again in the 60's when GM used a system on the OEM turbo Corvair. It was used effectively in Formula 1 before being banned for adding too much power.

The latest competitive use is in World Rally Racing (WRC) where virtually all teams use it in some form and in diesel truck/tractor pulling competition. It is important to note that in the fall of 2004, the long standing world record in the quarter mile for diesels was broken twice (now 7.98 sec) by two different vehicles; both using the Boost Cooler water/methanol injection system by Snow Performance.
ssthanapati
I know what water injection is and how it is used in jet engines. But i want to know specifically if water injection is used in turboprop and turboshaft engines, used in ATR's and helicopters respectively
KD8CPP
I'm not sure about the ATR, which version is it? The 72-500? I think it is used in some, (the C-130?) If you really need to know, call Bombardier service in Clarksburg, West Virginia, and I am sure they would be happy to tell you.

Here is their info,

Bombardier wrote:

Clarksburg (CKB) Airport

AOG Number..................304-842-6300
Toll Free Number..........800-334-9822
Main Number.................304-848-6300
Main Fax..........................304-848-5150

Address:
Bombardier Aircraft Services
Clarksburg Service Center
2400 Aviation Way
Bridgeport, WV 26330
USA
ssthanapati
k thanks a lot. Will try out those numbers. Smile
KD8CPP
No problem. I live about 60mi west of Clarksburg, and I know several people who work there. When you call, just ask for the service department. They should be the ones that can help you. Also, you might be able to get a service manual for the ATR. It might cost, but it mige worth it if you are planing on going far with it.