FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The gaming industry is not where it should be

Should Indie games be at stores?
yes
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
no
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

EanofAthenasPrime
Remember the days when each game was different; time and artistry was put into the games? Those N64 games of olde are now just a memory.

Now games are simply a product of chance.

Nowadays, games are simply a product of greedy corporates and it is by chance that they turn out well. Game developers are forced to work overtime without extra pay and accept it, simply because the feel they are lucky to be game makers. These slaves to game companies have no influence over their games anymore, they simply obey whatever mundane or illogical request their boss tells them. Think about EA's Goldeneye rogue agent. Halo 2. Wii Play. These are all total letdowns, because they individual makers had no say in what was going into the game. The games are a sole product of the non-gamer (who happens to be in charge) and his/her stupidity.

I vote Indie (Independent) games being available to stores! Very Happy
Packfan104L4
If you think Halo 2 was a letdown, then I vote no. Yes, the single player campaign sucked, but the multiplayer is indefinately fun.

I'll vote yes if you financially back one of these "Indie" games. Until then, too bad
catscratches
Indie games owns big game projects totaly.
EanofAthenasPrime
yes...I meant Halo 2's campaign.

btw yes cats game companies are greedy.
Packfan104L4
EanofAthenasPrime wrote:

You people are ignorant, either that or extremely emo. Game companies are a BUSINESS, not people that use their spare time to give you something entertaining for free. If you want a good product you have to pay for it. Even for F2P online games, if you want any good additions or premium items/services, you have to pay.

If you want cheap independant games, produce them yourselves. You'll see how quickly you'll charge 50 bucks retail to recoup costs.
Vladalf
I vote yes.
I saw many indie game developers over the internet who have alot of potential. I also am the founder of a indie game development team. In the future I want to sell our games.
reddishblue
You sir, are a fool.

How can you say games are getting worse, not only that but prices are increasing.
Check Wikipedia, N64 games were also around $50, and with all the new stuff in modern games they need more people, so they need more money to pay them.

This is the golden age of gaming, non-gamers are getting interested, Wii is making innovation essential.
Online play with others around the world is a reality, not just a dream.
Storylines have taken new hights.
Graphics make you feel like you are in the game.
Gaming has never been more realistic.

And in what way is Halo 2 a bad game? I have it and Halo 1 and I assure you it is fun and an improvement.
Why is it that you people must constantly say "OMG Todays games SUCK!" and then go and buy your next gen console.
Do you think gameplay is no longer as good as it was, and did you ever know that the WERE stinkers in the past?

Do you think that ALL old games were good...do you even have a Nintendo 64?

This is the future mate. Get 'N or get out!
Arnie
I don't mind company games but many small companies made very good games. The problem is that after a few releases they'll likely be bought by some big company and that soon ends the fun. Look at Attention To Detail for example; they made Rollcage, a brilliant game. Then got bought, and what's left?
rightclickscott
There are plenty of games that have been created simply to make money, such as movie and tv show tie-ins or the bi monthly WW2 FPS or Strategy game. But this doesn't stop the gaming industry from producing real hits. Think about the developers who put more work than they need to on games, not specfically to make money, but more to make a really fun game. Think of Half-Life, Spore, the majority of Wii games, and games that focus more on art like Okami. The industry is split between making money, and making games. It depends on the company itself.
Packfan104L4
Some companies make some game series bomb, yes we know that.

Now look at Vernacular Drop, a simple 20 minute game produced by some college kids for a school project. Valve came in, hired the kids, and now they'll be producing Portal which comes out with the HL2 Vol2 Pack. It's one of the most anticipated game right now along with Team Fortress 2.

The original posters point is emo and mute and incredibly wrong.
noise17
Packfan104L4 wrote:
EanofAthenasPrime wrote:

You people are ignorant, either that or extremely emo. Game companies are a BUSINESS, not people that use their spare time to give you something entertaining for free. If you want a good product you have to pay for it. Even for F2P online games, if you want any good additions or premium items/services, you have to pay.

If you want cheap independant games, produce them yourselves. You'll see how quickly you'll charge 50 bucks retail to recoup costs.

I have to agree. There is an outlet for indie games and they just aren't available on xbox 360, PS3, or Wii. They are available for Windows/Unix/MacOS. However, anyone will want to be compensated for their creation and anything worthwhile will be prohibitively expensive to create. Therefore, the avenues most developers take is through gaming companies.
Packfan104L4
noise17 wrote:
Packfan104L4 wrote:
EanofAthenasPrime wrote:

I have to agree. There is an outlet for indie games and they just aren't available on xbox 360, PS3, or Wii. They are available for Windows/Unix/MacOS. However, anyone will want to be compensated for their creation and anything worthwhile will be prohibitively expensive to create. Therefore, the avenues most developers take is through gaming companies.

A new member that's not just spamming posts and actually makes sense in their posts. I LIKE it. Plus he/she agrees with me :p
achowles
I support games released by indie companies. Such as the Sam & Max games from Telltale I bought online recently.

I think that they deserve wider exposure, but they seldom fare well when going head to head with more commercial games and subsequently go ignored in the stores and subsequently bankrupt the company. Therefore making the best of the internet is probably the best option.

So if you want the kind of games that you're not going to buy from the major names, then you're pretty much stuck with trawling the net.
LostOverThere
Indie Developers all the way, it would be great to see Indie games in store. But unfortunately most Indie Developers dont have a chance against companies like EA Games.
EanofAthenasPrime
LostOverThere wrote:
Indie Developers all the way, it would be great to see Indie games in store. But unfortunately most Indie Developers dont have a chance against companies like EA Games.

I know...ea games is so lame.

and stfu I am not emo and shit...
Osmodius
reddishblue wrote:
Wii is making cheap gimmicks essential.

Fixed.

OP has NFI about games, most N64 games were terrible. I could count the good N64 games on one hand.. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Ocarina of Time..
reddishblue
Osmodius wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
Wii is making cheap gimmicks essential.

Fixed.

OP has NFI about games, most N64 games were terrible. I could count the good N64 games on one hand.. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Ocarina of Time..

Well, what improvement HAS the Xbox or the PS3 got over the N64, lets see, online play...the rest are gimmicks!
And I have yet to see Perfect Dark be matched anywhere, on any system.
deStructuralized
It's less about "indie" vs "corporate" and more about quality and focus.

Back in the day games used to be much harder, and much more story/detail oriented than they are nowadays. With improved technlogy designers can slap nice looking graphics onto a game and let the gameplay/plot slide, since a lot of consumers nowadays simply need to be "wow"ed by graphics in order to make a purchase. It's not a question of greed, it's a question of what sells.

Compare Final Fantasy 6 to Final Fantasy 10 and you'll see what I mean. If you don't think there was some individual sitting at a design desk saying, "Hey--let's just make the game HALF movies!" then you're wrong. The corporation is a myth. Individuals run corporations.

That said, I see nothing EMO about the original post.